Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Copper soldering and joint construction question

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
  • Author

Copper soldering and joint construction question

Unread postAuthor: c9d » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:01 am

I was wondering if it was possible to take a 2" hard copper pipe, widen the end out a bit, and insert a reducer the opposite way, then solder it together? Or expand a smaller reducer to fit in an unmolested piece of 2" copper pipe?

This is a rough sketch of what I would like to accomplish:

  • 0

Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:56 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:19 am

I seriously doubt copper can be modified so heavily.

Your best bet would be finding next size reducer and possibly grinding it down a bit if it's too big. If it's too small you'd have to find another way.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
  • 0

User avatar
Posts: 10209
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 6

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:37 am


Epoxy casting?
  • 0

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
User avatar
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 am
Location: The Netherlands
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:00 am

It is called Swaging and is possible with the right swaging tool. I don't think people generally swage larger diameter pipe though.
I do that set up all the time but I use a coupler and a bushing reducer which goes inside the coupler. Then you can just put it in backwards.
You should be able to get bushing reducers as well as the external fittings in a good supply store.
You could always modify your set-up if you can't find exactly what you need.
For example you might have to put a reducer over the end of the 2" pipe and then put a smaller bushing reducer in the tapered end, backwards.
  • 0

Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:12 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:16 am

Copperman to the rescue!!!

Based on my experiences with copper, I don't think this is a particularly good solution, you'll risk either a serious weakening of the pipe if you don't know what you're doing, or tearing the pipe - especially with hard pipe. You' shouldn't try this with more than semi-rigid pipe.

So instead, I'd recommend doing what Hawkeye suggested, and getting a 2" coupler, and a 2" male to x" female reducer.
Put the 2" male to x" female reducer nose into the 2" coupler, then solder the 2" pipe into the other end of the 2" coupler.
  • 0

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
User avatar
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:23 am
Location: The UK
Reputation: 13

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot]

Reputation System ©'