Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MCRKilljoy, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Whats far for a golf ball?

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:22 pm

Sabet a pinball machine ball, you can get them from ebay.
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:22 pm

400 yards seems pretty far still to me, thats what 4 football fields, i would be happy with a gun like that lol
  • 0

User avatar
covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:36 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:26 pm

covey12 wrote:400 yards seems pretty far still to me, thats what 4 football fields, i would be happy with a gun like that lol


60-80 PSI will do that with good piston cannons. :D Nothing special.
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: MountainousDew » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:51 pm

Technician1002 wrote:
covey12 wrote:400 yards seems pretty far still to me, thats what 4 football fields, i would be happy with a gun like that lol


60-80 PSI will do that with good piston cannons. :D Nothing special.


That maybe true, but to a new spudder like myself, that is a great accomplishment!
  • 0

<a href="http://s709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/JKazkid/?action=view&current=MDSig.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/JKazkid/MDSig.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
User avatar
MountainousDew
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:06 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:50 am

jrrdw wrote:Sabet a pinball machine ball, you can get them from ebay.

Or just get a bunch of chrome steel balls from McMaster. For example, 1" low carbon steel, #96455K62, $15 for 25.
  • 0

Image

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: wblteen » Tue May 26, 2009 10:51 am

i have a coaxial and have not been able to determine accurate distance. As an avid golfer as well i can tell distance pretty good. the lack of a flat and open range long enough for a good accurate distance do proibits such. but i can tell you that i lose sight of the ball as it is still gaining altitude and estimates from friends come in the 600 - 800 yard range. im leaning towards the middle.
  • 0


wblteen
Private
Private
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:05 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Tue May 26, 2009 11:18 am

DD1 puts them out about 750yds by gps(but DD1 is a pretty MASSIVE cannon), muzzle velocity is 1035fps on the chrony, by watching the flight trajectory at about 350 to 400 yds the spin starts to take effect and they actually start gaining altitude... I haven't found many but the ones I've found are between 720 to 800 yds and the wind probably plays a big part in the distance variations...

I haven't gotten to do much chrony testing since I got it(been getting up hay and dodging rain), and I'm putting together an "open your eyes" chart that will show not only fps with certain gun/pressure/ammo combos but also box'o'truth comparisons so that if you use similar target materiels and ammo and don't have a chrony you can still get a ROUGH idea of fps=damage=fps....
  • 0


jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Triad, NC, USA
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: wblteen » Tue May 26, 2009 11:28 am

out of my 4 ince caox i get a nuckleball flight. I too notice it starts gaining altitude after a while.
  • 0


wblteen
Private
Private
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:05 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:31 am

wblteen wrote:i have a coaxial and have not been able to determine accurate distance. As an avid golfer as well i can tell distance pretty good. the lack of a flat and open range long enough for a good accurate distance do proibits such. but i can tell you that i lose sight of the ball as it is still gaining altitude and estimates from friends come in the 600 - 800 yard range. im leaning towards the middle.


When at the coast I shot a few into the ocean so I could have the range. Alas, I still lost them to the distance and still climbing. 2 inch piston valves are awesome with a golf ball barrel attached. It's amazing to see a bright orange glow ball get sucked into a tiny hole in the sky and vanish.
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Tue May 26, 2009 12:03 pm

wblteen wrote:out of my 4 ince caox i get a nuckleball flight. I too notice it starts gaining altitude after a while.


Yeah, I was not happy with the flight characteristics of the golf balls. They were pulling off some very serious inflight curves, and at short distance to. They didn't make it out more than 40 yards before they started taking off at about a 30° angle. It was crazy. I'll update when I get my golf ball barrel insert installed. I plan on sanding the inside down to where the balls just fit absolutely perfectly. Then place maybe a .002 UHMW bushing in the back of the barrel so the ball will sit snugly and not roll down.
The thing is, I don't think its possible to have any control over the ball having some spin. If any part of the ball has any more friction than any other part of it during its journey down the barrel, then its going to spin. Sabot is the only true way, but screw all that. Too much work and too messy.
  • 0

User avatar
Moonbogg
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: whittier, CA USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Moonbogg wrote:The thing is, I don't think its possible to have any control over the ball having some spin. If any part of the ball has any more friction than any other part of it during its journey down the barrel, then its going to spin. Sabot is the only true way, but screw all that. Too much work and too messy.

Search "Hopup" and "Flatline barrel" (not to mention rifling).

There are ways of giving a round shell consistent spin.
  • 0

Image

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Tue May 26, 2009 6:08 pm

I've been using marbles for quite a long time and I've noticed that their flight path is not always curved... I don't know why but as I increase pressure they seem to be more accurate... I could hit a wheelbarrow from 70 meters at 500 psi... the gun didn't have sights so I suppose it was a pretty good result as marbles are notorious for their inaccuracy
  • 0

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
User avatar
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 pm
Country: Israel (il)
Reputation: 10

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Wed May 27, 2009 10:13 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:I've been using marbles for quite a long time and I've noticed that their flight path is not always curved... I don't know why but as I increase pressure they seem to be more accurate... I could hit a wheelbarrow from 70 meters at 500 psi... the gun didn't have sights so I suppose it was a pretty good result as marbles are notorious for their inaccuracy


when your dealing with rotational lift/curve/etc, a lot is relative to speed, With DD1, the velocities are high enough for the first coupla hundred yards that it doesn't start hooking until the ball decelerates enough for the rotational lift(regardless of which direction the lift is pulling, we'll just call it lift for simpliicity) to take hold, similar to when you bowl and throw with backspin, it takes a while for the spin to overcome the inertial energy... With DD1, if I fire at 25psi it will start hooking almost immediately, at 50ps it will start hooking at about 100yds, at 75psi it will start hooking at about 200, at 100+ psi it doesn't start hooking until 300 or more yards.... And even SMOOTH spheres will be subject to lift, it's just not exagerated like it is with GBs(which are designed to create lift, the higher the quality of the GB, the more lift it will have) My personal fave GBs are Titec's and I pay $7usd for 36 at Walmart...
  • 0


jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Triad, NC, USA
Reputation: 0

Previous

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MCRKilljoy, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'