Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 46 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

High pressure pump check valve?

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

High pressure pump check valve?

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:31 am

Well, I've cast a piston, turned an o ring retainer (it's floating o ring et cetera), cut my aluminum stock to size and found a hardened steel rod for the pump shaft. Tomorrow I'll head to Nev's and buy an elbow for the bottom of the pump. Adapter may be schrader or quick connect, dunno. QD is easier but schrader is more convenient for me.

Basically the check valve has me stumped. I was originally going to use a small ball based check valve with a plastic body ripped from a ball pump Next option is a schrader valve, the ones I buy for 60c each here crack at 40-50 psi. Which isn't brilliant, but not awful. However, I can buy the long valve stems with the exterior spring and mod them for 0 psi cracking pressure. Is there a problem with this? Will it work? Will it fail to seal when I start pumping at low pressure? (backflow)

Any opinions on those upper two options- standard pressure will be around 300 good ol' psi, up to even 400 psi.

Thanks doodz.
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:26 am

should have just pm'd gippetto on this one :wink:
i'm no expert but i would think if pressure was pushing on one side of the schrader and it was higher than the other side it should seal it and act as the spring does in returning after each pump.I think it might have some problems at lower pressures maybe to could use part of the springs they have in pens to create a lower cracking pressure idk if it will work but its worth a shot
  • 0

User avatar
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:10 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:34 am

It takes a certain amount of pressure to seat them. I suppose that if I fit it up with a QD (fem) on the pump, and male with a check valve on the gun..

I could then use the compressor to pump the first 110 psi, which will be a godsend to my arms as it's no low volume gun.

Failing that, I'll buy a check valve or make one.
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:54 am

Totally unrelated to your question, but important in the check valve, is the amount of total dead space. I mentioned this due to the pressure mentioned.

For example if your dead space (including in the check valve and pipe to it) is 20% of the pump volume, then at 20 bar, there will be no air delivered. Air will simply compress to 1/20th the space and then re-expand. Plan your checkvalve, piston, seals, etc to have as little as possible dead space so the compressed air is pushed out the check valve, not left in a space to re-expand.

400 PSI is 27.5 bar. Compressing to only 20 bar won't get any out the check valve. It won't pump to 27 bar in the example given.

The above does not account for compression heating which does help get more through the valve.
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:06 am

Technician1002 wrote:Totally unrelated to your question, but important in the check valve, is the amount of total dead space. I mentioned this due to the pressure mentioned.

For example if your dead space (including in the check valve and pipe to it) is 20% of the pump volume, then at 20 bar, there will be no air delivered. Air will simply compress to 1/20th the space and then re-expand. Plan your checkvalve, piston, seals, etc to have as little as possible dead space so the compressed air is pushed out the check valve, not left in a space to re-expand.

400 PSI is 27.5 bar. Compressing to only 20 bar won't get any out the check valve. It won't pump to 27 bar in the example given.

The above does not account for compression heating which does help get more through the valve.


actually, 20% is 1/5, not 1/20, so your max would be 5 bar. but the idea of deadspace is important.
  • 0

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
User avatar
ramses
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:50 pm
Reputation: 3

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:05 am

ramses wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:Totally unrelated to your question, but important in the check valve, is the amount of total dead space. I mentioned this due to the pressure mentioned.

For example if your dead space (including in the check valve and pipe to it) is 20% of the pump volume, then at 20 bar, there will be no air delivered. Air will simply compress to 1/20th the space and then re-expand. Plan your checkvalve, piston, seals, etc to have as little as possible dead space so the compressed air is pushed out the check valve, not left in a space to re-expand.

400 PSI is 27.5 bar. Compressing to only 20 bar won't get any out the check valve. It won't pump to 27 bar in the example given.

The above does not account for compression heating which does help get more through the valve.


actually, 20% is 1/5, not 1/20, so your max would be 5 bar. but the idea of deadspace is important.


Thanks.. got me.. 5 AM post.. Nightshift. :oops: I was thinking 20:1 and typed 20%.
  • 0

Last edited by Technician1002 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:24 am

Check valves are pretty simple if you've got a lathe. :)

There is one I modified to make it seal positively in this thread. Essentially I added an o-ring and a stainless (what I had) retainer sleeve for the o-ring. Cracking pressure is 3 psi.

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/piston- ... ter,0.html

There is another check valve built into the base of the stirrup pump in the how to. (The pictures in the second half are still in the reverse order,...I have to remember to fix that.) :roll:

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/easy-st ... ter,0.html

This could be greatly improved upon if you have a lathe.
  • 0

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
User avatar
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:14 am
Location: The Great White North...Canada eh!
Reputation: 11

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'