Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 47 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

PVC cement

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 

Does this happen to you too?

All the time it's normal
14%
sometimes if i am not careful
86%

Total votes : 7
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:48 pm

theBOOM wrote:Guys just drop it... fore if you cant prove that your are a certified plumber then just stop fighting and accept defeat :P OR go get your license or w.e and beat us all down ....

So my question still stands.... can i use the glue in the green can labeled heavy duty for small diam pipe too?

PS: anyone wanna chat O.o in like 20 min?

Short answer, yes. Long answer, it is not recommended and not up to code for residential plumbing in many jurisdictions.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: FORE!!!! » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 pm

theBOOM wrote:Guys just drop it... fore if you cant prove that your are a certified plumber then just stop fighting and accept defeat :P OR go get your license or w.e and beat us all down ....

So my question still stands.... can i use the glue in the green can labeled heavy duty for small diam pipe too?

PS: anyone wanna chat O.o in like 20 min?

did u read my last post?

and this is who i work for.. http://www.bluewaternsw.com/

al-xg wrote:
I've used various things like cutting oil, silicone lubricant, even butter

jsr wrote:
This collection of containers on your bedside table must look very intimidating to any visiting young ladies

...but hey, lube shows you care;)
FORE!!!!
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 am

FORE!!!! wrote:
SpudBlaster15 wrote:
FORE!!!! wrote:ummmm .yes they may contain more resin and less solvent,but no there not used for larger diameter pipe,if ur using a fitting that is that lose,its probly not approvend.
the whole point of pvc cement is to weld/melt the inner/outter layer of plastic and fuse the two toghether,if there was such a gap no cementing would take place.

green glue is for pressure applications,period

You don't seem to understand the design of PVC fittings. All fittings are tapered for an interference fit at the bottom, yes. However, larger diameter fittings have a larger gap near the top, and a more viscous cement is required to fill in said gap. Heavy Duty cements are designed for larger diameter fittings.

Also, please learn how to spell.

Regardless of whether i can use correct grammer or not doesn't matter ,you still understood my post,hence your reply ,I dropped out in year ten to become a plumber im 23 now and have been doing it for the past 6 years, you say i dont have an understanding on pvc fitting design,well thats a crock of 5hit,i can pretty much guarantee that ive glued more fittings together than most of the people on spudfiles,20MM -375MM ,altho i dont know the age/profession of alot of people on here so that statement may not be right.

you dont fill in the gaps of the fitting with high viscous glue ,you use the correct glue for the right application,whether pressure or non pressure.

quote"
Heavy Duty cements are designed for larger diameter fittings.

WRONG,WRONG WRONG :wink:
and if you doubt what im trying to say i dare you to find a reference/document that states otherwise.
ps..good luck :)

You're wrong. I don't pull information out of my ass. As Technician quoted from the manufacturer site, Heavy Duty cements are designed to fill gaps in larger diameter fittings.

You being a plumber has nothing to do with this. I know several licensed plumbers, and many of them know very little about the properties of the fittings or cement, they are only required to know the correct procedure for assembling a safe joint. Your post has proven that you fit into this category. Go back to high school, maybe you'll learn that claims of credentials mean nothing if you can't back them up with fact.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: FORE!!!! » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:42 am

MrCrowley wrote:
FORE!!!! wrote:ps. that glue isnt avaliable in australia so my statement stands. and 6 years of schooling on the subject tells me otherwise.

RECOMMENDED USES
The All Purpose Clear Heavy Duty Cement is specially formulated to solvent weld up to 6” (150 mm) diameter Sch. 40 aSch. 80 ABS, PVC and Sch. 40 CPVC
nd
pipe.

http://www.allflowsupply.com.au/documen ... nt_000.pdf

Seems to imply that this glue is specially forumlated for large diameter fittings.

Regardless of this whole discussion, when stating facts, please state them correctly. IE, 'green glue is for pressure rated PVC only' is only half true. Next time say, "green glue (of a certain brand), when bought in Australia is designed for pressure rated PVC".

And the same for when you say Heavy Duty cement isn't for large diameter pipe and fittings. When it clearly is in America and seems even Australia.

Just make sure you clarify your statements first, afterall the majority of the members are American.

that link you posted doesnt seem to say that the medium bodied glue is designed to fill in the gaps ,the american one does

upto 6" diameter 6" aint that big here is a pic of a 6" socket in a piece of 6" pipe. there aint much of a gap, infact there is next to no gap, no need for medium bodied glue ,altho american fittings may have a larger gap ,hence the need for medium bodied (gapp filling) glue, they simply dont sell gap filling glue in australia, maybe our fittings are desinged better?

Attachments
27-08-09_1702.jpg
6" as 1260
al-xg wrote:
I've used various things like cutting oil, silicone lubricant, even butter

jsr wrote:
This collection of containers on your bedside table must look very intimidating to any visiting young ladies

...but hey, lube shows you care;)
FORE!!!!
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: c11man » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:25 am

on my 4inch fittings there is no gap either, infact i takes quite abit of force to get them together for a dryfit with no glue, its even a harder job to get them back out......

btw im in the us

c11man
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Previous

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion