I was about to go run around looking for old TV's to pull some flyback wire out of, but then got turned off by all the rain we're getting.
Anyways, I wondered to myself how far back the SGTC archives went back, and pulled a search for all posts by "_latke" (BurntLatke's owner).
I found about two I remember, and then found some dating back to 2003.
Anyways, I found this little gem:
_latke wrote:The red wire originally on the L1 was salvaged from a TV flyback. The new wire used on the L3 is test probe wire from radio shack. It says that it's only rated for 1000 volts but but works great with 65k stunguns. No shocks or leaks. I have not tested it with 100,000+v zappers though as 65k is plenty.
The radioshack test probe wire is supple and flexible in red or black. Cheap too.
So anyways, I picked some up (from Home Depot, though) and tried it out with my homebrew CDI module and coil.
Even with the wires touching, there were no shorts. This is most likely what I'm going to use in my new project, as the wires will be pretty close to each other.
I pulled my multimeter out (with it's intact test leads ) and got a resistance too low to read for about 4' of the stuff.
Just thought I'd share.