Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 71 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

A warning about latex tubing

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
A warning about latex tubing

Unread postAuthor: btrettel » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:52 pm

I did something stupid and I think I should tell others about it so they avoid potentially going deaf.

Latex tubing can be used as a simple constant pressure source. I was doing some tests yesterday to determine how quickly the tubing fatigues when I did something stupid.

Important things to note: I was doing the tests against a wall in my bedroom with the door closed right and I did not have hearing protection.

On the second fill of a tube I started hearing some tearing. I vented the tube. I considered stopping there, but I wanted to see how the tube would perform now that it was damaged.

The tube burst nearly immediately after I started filling it, and the burst was extremely loud. It was as loud if not louder than some guns. My ear immediately started ringing and everything sounded muffled.

I had burst latex tubing before with water, and it wasn't loud at all. The air does hold a lot more energy and it should not be underestimated.

I was stupid. If any test involves the possibility of something bursting, do that test outside and wear earplugs.

I already had poor hearing and tinnitus. I think my hearing's a little worse off now, though, not too significantly. I'll visit an audiologist to see precisely what happened. Incidentally, I visited an audiologist about a week ago as I was curious about my hearing, so a direct comparison between my hearing right before and right after can be made.

All spud gun related projects are currently on hold.

btrettel
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Good advice. Any time there is a significant possibility of high pressure gas being released, hearing protection should be worn. I doubt any hearing damage resulted from one incident, but it's a lesson learned.

I've done a lot of stuff like this in the past, and it does eventually take a toll on your hearing. After years of explosions and gunfire, I have no clinically significant hearing loss, but I do have mild tinnitus. It sucks, so wear hearing protection even when you think the risk is minimal.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Wow, I can imagine how loud it was because I let a kid use my air hose to pump up his bike tire and he popped it. Sounded like a shot gun going off right beside me, and yes I told him to be carefull...

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:51 pm

yeap this is why it isn't the best idea to dry fire your high pressure guns in the basement (and generally indoors)... I learned this the hard way

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: btrettel » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:48 pm

Well, I'm worried because I already had poor hearing. My father figures my hearing loss is genetic because he had equally bad hearing at his age. I did some testing and he told me the results were basically identical to his at my age.

I don't think I suffered any significant hearing loss from this incident, but I'll get it checked just in case as I want to keep what I have.

jrrdw, yeah, it was basically that loud. I expected some noise, but I didn't really expect it to be that loud. It was surprising, but in retrospect, I knew better.

I'll sum it up...

Indoor testing = BAD NEWS

All spud gun related projects are currently on hold.

btrettel
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Ranger » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Ranger
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:10 pm

We did this as a prank at work, door handle connected to one of the air supply ball valves with a piece of string, a short length of latex tubing over the male fitting secured with a cable tie at one end and similarly sealed on the other.

Couple of seconds after the morning shift comes in, tremendous explosion - they were not amused. Everyone else was though.

These days we just use latex gloves, more tolerable :)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: nibbler125 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:18 am

whyle on the subject may I add that you should not fill a 2L bottle with 125 psi. Only when this blew up I was holding it at my side and it left my whole side bruised. also all my hearing was gone for A few minutes. for a week it felt like there was water in my ear. the next day my friend found A 4X4 inch hunk of shrapnel 40 yards from the area it blew up from. I consider myself lucky

nibbler125
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:39 am

A lot of people don't realize how important their hearing is until they lose it. Half the people I work with don't wear ear plugs with 31cc engines roaring right next to their ears. :roll:

Good point, though. One time I blew the piston and pumping rod off a cheap basketball pump and it put a nice ding in my door (crushed the hardboard sheathing over the frame).

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Haha... reminds me of when my old bike tire popped when me and my brother both rode it at the same time... it was freaking loud lol :D

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion