Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 54 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Whats Your Favorite PVC Fitting Brand?

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
Whats Your Favorite PVC Fitting Brand?

Unread postAuthor: motorfixer1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:31 pm

I am new to this site but not to plastic pipe fitting and solvent welding. I was wondering if anyone has a favorite brand of fittings they use, I try to use Spears if I can get or it I order online. Ace Hardware seems to always have decent SCH 40 of different brands if I am in a pinch.

motorfixer1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:29 pm

The only pressure rated PVC fittings I've used are Nibco brand, and they worked well for the application, which was a moderate sized 150-200PSI pneumatic cannon. I find it hard to believe that there's any significant difference between NSF-pw fittings from different manufacturers.

PVC is the worst of the commonly used cannon building materials, so the point is somewhat moot. Trying to find the "best" PVC fittings is a bit like deciding which type of polish you want to use on excrement. Regardless of which you choose, the end result is still going to be susceptible to brittle failure, and unsuitable for use in extreme temperature conditions. IMO, you're better off expending your efforts attempting to find better materials.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:53 pm

I don't use pvc much anymore, but my favorite brand of pvc is charlotte, great quality control, never had a problem with parts not fitting.

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: motorfixer1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:57 pm

I have been a pipe-fitter for many years and have used many different brands of fittings. I have noticed many differences in fitting quality and merely was interested in any other professional opinions on the subject. SpudBlaster15, as far as your opinion on what to construct a cannon out of, that is something for a different topic because your thoughts on optimal construction materials were way off the subject of this post. :?

Last edited by motorfixer1 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

motorfixer1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:37 pm

I just use what lowes carries, lasco fittings, I've never had many issues with them.

That is all.
clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:50 pm

Of the hardware store brands, I prefer Lasco (Lowes) over Nibco (Home Depot). I found that Dura fittings have the deepest sockets, along with Spears.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:28 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:PVC is the worst of the commonly used cannon building materials.

I disagree. Of the few materials available to use in pipe form, PVC is an excellent compromise between (for <10bar) saftey, price and weight.
MDPE is strong and safe, but usually too large or small diameter and electrofusion fittings cost over $100 for the larger bores.
ABS which is better but much much less available.
Steel which is very heavy and requires welding.
Copper, ideal for high pressure-low bore applications, but very expensive at larger diameters.

That said, I don't have a favourite brand. So long as it's kitemarked and conforms to British standards, I'm happy. The only real variation is shade of grey imo.

Last edited by Biopyro on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Biopyro wrote:I disagree. Of the few materials available to use in pipe form, PVC is an excellent compromise between (for <10bar>$100.

Doesn't matter how you spin it, a material with such dangerous and violent failure characteristics is a poor choice for constructing gas containing pressure vessels.

ABS which is better but much much less available.

That depends on where you live. For instance, ABS is much more prevalent than PVC in my area, and the same is true for many others who live outside the USA.

Steel which is very heavy and requires welding.

Steel is rather heavy, but it's also safe for high pressure and any realistic temperature conditions. Threaded steel/malleable iron parts do not require welding, and are often similar in price to NSF-pw PVC components. It's the best of the commonly available materials.

Copper, ideal for high pressure-low bore applications, but very expensive at larger diameters.

Agreed.

As I said earlier, comparing different brands of PVC fittings is not worth the time expended, as for spudding purposes, the practical properties will not vary significantly. All NSF-pw fittings will hold their rated pressure in static conditions, and fail violently if subjected to shock or substantial impact. Why the manufacturer bears so much significance to some people is beyond me. The effort is better spent researching more suitable materials and construction methods, because they certainly do exist.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Biopyro wrote:
SpudBlaster15 wrote: Steel which is very heavy and requires welding.

In larger sizes for the same pressure and rated for compressed gas, steel is ligher, stronger, and safer than PVC. I have my Dragon cannon for comparison. It is a 2.5 inch coax with a 6 inch PVC chamber. It is much heavier than my 2 inch QDV steel shirt cannon by a wide margin. I brazed it instead of welding. When done I have a cannon that has a chamber safe to about 260 PSI that is comprable to the PVC 6 inch chamber, but much ligher and safer.

This 6 inch PVC chamber is very heavy.

In comparison the disposable Freon tank is very lightweight.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:05 am

Fair enough on ABS, I am in the UK and if I could get it, I would.
I'll be honest, I hadn't really considered steel as being possibly lighter than PVC, my ABS/PVC combustion isn't excessively heavy* and I hadn't considered brazing, but in my experience malleable iron and other threaded parts are very heavy.

I agree that PVC does have poor failure characteristics, but if used properly it doesn't fail, and is safe. Notice that of all the injuries we've had here in the last few years, none I remember have been from this type of catastrophic failure.

*3kg for 20cm 110mm ABS and 4 110mm PVC fittings

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:22 pm

Biopyro wrote:Notice that of all the injuries we've had here in the last few years, none I remember have been from this type of catastrophic failure.

Didn't one member's father lose an eye to PVC shrapnel when the pneumatic cannon he was using exploded?

I recall seeing quite a number of PVC failures over the years, including most recently, Tech's failed valve endcap. Crowley has experienced a couple PVC pneumatic explosions, and Velocity had the valve assembly on one of his larger cannons fail. There are several more that don't come to mind at the moment.

Steel/Malleable iron on the other hand has never failed, even in ridiculous applications such as 20X oxy/MAPP hybrid cannons. I don't believe a commercial steel tank such as the example Tech posted has ever failed in a spudding application either.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I agree PVC is not the ideal building material, heres a bad incident with only spray n pray pressures.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtintwPNXug[/youtube]

That is all.
clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:09 pm

DWV PVC as shown in the video is the worst PVC to use. Pressure rated is much better.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:23 pm

But isnt the "weak" part of DWV fittings the short socket depth, the fittings on this launcher didnt just get blown of, the shattered, and this launcher was just with low combustion pressures which last milliseconds

That is all.
clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:31 pm

No, it is the extremely thin and light weight PVC that turns it into a hand grenade. Many of these failures are not simply a failed glue joint. It is a crack that shatters the launcher under pressure.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Next

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion