Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 93 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 88 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

PVC Failures

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
PVC Failures

Unread postAuthor: HunterT » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:09 am

I found this article and it really demonstrates the how PVC fails. A must for any spud cannon maker.

http://www.crazybuilders.com/item.php?id=000010&type=project_section&title=blast_box

HunterT
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:42 am

That's pretty cool and all, but I don't for see any spudder doing this while out shooting their cannon. Nice scatter of shrapnel...

There has been a few PVC test posted here, and by far my favorite is the static pressure test with a 2" X 10' piece of SCH40 pressure rated pipe. Filled with water the PVC pipe held to 1029PSI then split the side open in the middle.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: HunterT » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:30 pm

jrrdw wrote: Filled with water the PVC pipe held to 1029PSI then split the side open in the middle.

WHOA :shock: That's a lot of pressure. When I first began spudding I didn't believe that PVC was that tough.

HunterT
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Many people underestimate it's strength. While I am cautious when using PVC, I still know that when properly put together and handled, it is perfectly safe for a spudder's application.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:02 pm

hunterT wrote:
jrrdw wrote:Filled with water the PVC pipe held to 1029PSI then split the side open in the middle.

WHOA That's a lot of pressure. When I first began spudding I didn't believe that PVC was that tough.

Yeah, PVC can hold a considerable amount of pressure, I have some 2" that's rated to 240psi. It's because of the failure mode that people avoid pushing it.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:44 pm

The pipe is rated with a high safety factor. My 2" is rated to 280 psi. As the diameter goes up, the pressure rating goes down. I believe my 1/2" is rated to 680, and I would trust it at like 300 psi. At these pressures though, failure decomes even more dangerous because the higher pressure can send the shrapnel even faster.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: metalmeltr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:22 pm

I had a PWC DWV cleanout blow out the back of my advanced combustion the other day, deystroyed the fan, what i found of the cap was shattered.

metalmeltr
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: c11man » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Gun Freak wrote:The pipe is rated with a high safety factor.

i dont know any acual numbers but to be legal to sell the pipe has to have a pretty good saftey factor. due to PVC's less than favorable failure properties i would assume that it is made with an even higher saftey factor than say a copper pipe.

remember that its not the pressure that causes most failures, its the recoil, piston impact, and barrel flex that put exessive forces on the pipe/fittings and causes the failure. build a launcher than can has the can handle these forces and you will have lots of fun with your pvc :D
also you MUST weld the joints correctly and wait for it to cure fully

c11man
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion