Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Cant find anything but DWV.....

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Cant find anything but DWV.....

Unread postAuthor: Gidney14 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Currently in the middle of building a sprinkler valve based tennis ball cannon, and NO where in Maine can I find pressure rated PVC. I have been to two different Home Depots, Lowe's, small contractor stores, a plumbing store, ans a Tractor Supply. None oif the above carry any pressure rated SCH PVC, and what they do carry wont work with my pressure rated reducer bushings (a 3in-1 and a 2.5in-1, Used these to make my life easy, and they end up causing me trouble :roll: ), and Ive pissed away a decent ammout of money on pipe that i "thought" would fit, and didn't.

As far as I can tell im crap out of luck accept ordering online, which can be very expensive. Suggestions?
  • 0


Gidney14
Private First Class
Private First Class
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Firstly, your post seems impossible. My local Home Depot stocks least half a ton of pressure rated PVC pipe (red lettering on the side says something like "240psi @ 74F"). Secondly, ordering online isn't that expensive. I do it all the time, and I'm not rich.

Did you actually check the pipe yourself for a pressure rating? No PVC that I know of is rated for air, they're only rated for water, so if you asked a salesperson, they'd tell you they don't have any suitable PVC.

Are you sure your fittings you have already aren't DWV or metric?
  • 0

User avatar
saefroch
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 am
Location: U.S.A.- See Map
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:40 pm

what sizes are you looking for exacly??? I know at my lowes and home depot where I am from in mass only carry pressure rated pw fittings up to 2 inch. Mcmaster online have decent prices and the shipping is cheap, I got a bunch of stuff from there and it was only $5.50 to ship everything, and I had the stuff the next day!! Let us know what you need and maybe we can help!!
  • 0

User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Gidney14 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:52 pm

saefroch wrote:Firstly, your post seems impossible. My local Home Depot stocks least half a ton of pressure rated PVC pipe (red lettering on the side says something like "240psi @ 74F"). Secondly, ordering online isn't that expensive. I do it all the time, and I'm not rich.

Did you actually check the pipe yourself for a pressure rating? No PVC that I know of is rated for air, they're only rated for water, so if you asked a salesperson, they'd tell you they don't have any suitable PVC.

Are you sure your fittings you have already aren't DWV or metric?


The piece of 3 inch i have, as well as some 1 inch say "DWV NOT FOR PRESSURE" Ive got the 2' sections they have, as well as full pieces of pipe. the long ones are pressure rated I think, my parts dont fit T.T

As for ordering online, I would if i had a job :sad5:

For the fittings, unsure if they are metric or standard, but ill give you the links. I bought 2.5in barrel from SpudTech today, and if the reducer doesn't fit that, Im going to punch a baby.

2.5in-1: http://www.spudtech.com/store/index.php ... ucts_id=88

3in-1in: http://www.spudtech.com/store/index.php ... ucts_id=43
  • 0


Gidney14
Private First Class
Private First Class
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:17 pm

UMMMMM, the bushings you posted in the link, are they for your barrel and chamber????? If they are, please dont hit any babys, because you need slip to thread adaptors, I think!!!!

I just had a vision!!! The reason they are not fitting is because you need to use couplings!!!!! your pipe goes in one end of the coupling, and your bushing in the other end!!!! Get a 3 inch and a 2 1/2 inch coupling and your problems are solved!!!!!
  • 0

User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Gidney14 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:28 pm

mattyzip77 wrote:UMMMMM, the bushings you posted in the link, are they for your barrel and chamber????? If they are, please dont hit any babys, because you need slip to thread adaptors, I think!!!!

I just had a vision!!! The reason they are not fitting is because you need to use couplings!!!!! your pipe goes in one end of the coupling, and your bushing in the other end!!!! Get a 3 inch and a 2 1/2 inch coupling and your problems are solved!!!!!


Yes. 3inch chamber, 2.5in barrel.


If so, im going to love you forever and ever.
  • 0


Gidney14
Private First Class
Private First Class
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Big box stores such as Home Depot and Lowes won't carry the larger size of pipe as water supplied to homes is rarely provided in a water main larger than 1 inch. The home consumer market won't carry it. You need to shop where the city Public Works department shops. The commercial contractor store is not nearly as well advertised. They also don't like to sell small quantities. Look up Mechanical Contractors (the guys that do boiler rooms and do the plumbing for big apartment complexes, shopping malls, and other non residential installations). They use the bigger pipe. The pipe to the local 6 inch fire plug is pressure rated. :D Find out where it came from.

In my area I use Furgeson's. They do home (small amounts) and industrial sizes. :D Look for Industrial pipe, Waterworks products and related items in your local search. Home plumbing is not the place.
Ferguson supplies plumbing and builder products, industrial pipe, valves and fittings, heating and cooling equipment, waterworks products and more.


6 inch chamber and 2.5 inch barrel all pressure rated Sched 40
Image
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: Gidney14 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:29 pm

Im going to give a plumbing contractor in my area a call tomorrow. Crossing my fingers for a 2.5inch coupler, they must have some 3inch ones as well.

You have a firing video of that beast?!
  • 0


Gidney14
Private First Class
Private First Class
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Gidney14 wrote:
mattyzip77 wrote:UMMMMM, the bushings you posted in the link, are they for your barrel and chamber????? If they are, please dont hit any babys, because you need slip to thread adaptors, I think!!!!

I just had a vision!!! The reason they are not fitting is because you need to use couplings!!!!! your pipe goes in one end of the coupling, and your bushing in the other end!!!! Get a 3 inch and a 2 1/2 inch coupling and your problems are solved!!!!!


Yes. 3inch chamber, 2.5in barrel.


If so, im going to love you forever and ever.


your bushing and your pipe are the same exact diameter correct??? yup, you need couplings!! That solves one problem, now how are you going to attach your sprinkler valve without a thread in those bushings?? :banghead: :banghead:
  • 0

User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Gidney14 wrote:You have a firing video of that beast?!


Nope. It breaks pistons. :( It has been retired years ago. It is very heavy so it is a 2 man operation to fire it. Moved on to a much less bulky and reliable cannon. I still have it, but without a piston, it is non functional. I may convert it to combustion. 2.5 inch dome pipe caps simply can't be properly slowed with a bumper to prevent breakage. The hollow shape and narrow edge cracks almost every time. Lapping each one in to seal to the barrel was too much work for their very short life.
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: Gidney14 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Damn tech, what was the range while it worked? :D

Matty, Its going to go: SV> threaded adapter>1inch PVC>bushing>Chamber/barrel
  • 0


Gidney14
Private First Class
Private First Class
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Gidney14 wrote:Damn tech, what was the range while it worked? :D

Matty, Its going to go: SV> threaded adapter>1inch PVC>bushing>Chamber/barrel


If you say so!! :D :D
  • 0

User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Gidney14 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:28 pm

Well, a coupler between the bushing and the chamber and barrel but either way, If you want i can post a picture around Thursday.
  • 0


Gidney14
Private First Class
Private First Class
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Gidney14 wrote:Damn tech, what was the range while it worked? :D


Not sure.. Lost the ball over the trees at the far end of the field.

Size wise, it is comparable to my t shirt cannon except with a 2.5 inch port valve instead of a 2 inch port. Both have about a 3 gallon volume chamber.

Current t shirt cannon is the tank in the back. 3 gallon volume, 2 inch valve, and various sizes of screw on barrels.
Image
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: Gidney14 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:01 pm

I saw, that, and was very jealous. I should have some completed pictures up tomorrow, Ive got the epoxy on the SV drying, and was able to get everything but the barrel, which I bought from Spud Tech (awesome store BTW!) will be here tomorrow in the mail.
  • 0


Gidney14
Private First Class
Private First Class
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'