Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 40 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Commercial shotgun wads

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
Commercial shotgun wads

Unread postAuthor: dart guy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:29 pm

I reload 12 gauge shells , I and I wonder how would I make one of those for any caliber I want, right now I'm in the middle of designing a break barrel airsoft/lead pellet gun and I think ill make/mod some shells that will be like regular shotgun shells other than a big hole in the back for air to go through, unfortunately my laptop is kinda busted so all I have is some messy notebook drawings that are only half done. ( double barrels are a pain, qev is a no-go for any reasonable sized airgun) if you wanna see just ask though. Though I need an easy way to make the wads any suggestions? ( wads are supposed to be non damaging, so preferably as close to thin plastic as possible.

when life gives you lemons... make root beer and leave the world wondering how you did that :D
dart guy
Major
Major

Re: Commercial shotgun wads

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:56 am

Milk jug plastic....Now you need heated forming die's to make the plastic hold the shape you want.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: dart guy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Wow, never knew I could do that.... Do you think if I took a square of plastic and pushed a section down with a dowel it would form to the shape I want? Of course there are other wads like the ones with the plastic "springs" at the base, I was thinking of making something like that so that I could use the edge of the shell as a burst disk, maby by slightly crimping the front of the shell design. Would that produce any benifits out of a pnematic cannon?

when life gives you lemons... make root beer and leave the world wondering how you did that :D
dart guy
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: GonzoInferno » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:52 am

Are you looking to have a cartridge that is self contained and pressurized prior to chambering? Like RAP4 40MM Grenade?

GonzoInferno
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:38 pm

dart guy wrote:Wow, never knew I could do that.... Do you think if I took a square of plastic and pushed a section down with a dowel it would form to the shape I want? Of course there are other wads like the ones with the plastic "springs" at the base, I was thinking of making something like that so that I could use the edge of the shell as a burst disk, maby by slightly crimping the front of the shell design. Would that produce any benifits out of a pnematic cannon?

Any home made anything is going to go through trail and error testing. A good pneumatic cannon comes from proper seals and straight smooth sliding sufaces. I'm being very genaral but you get the idea.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:08 am

dart guy wrote:... if you wanna see just ask though.

I'm asking....can't recall actually seeing anything you've built or tried to build yet, so let's see it. Links to anything you've finished and posted would be good too. :)

Don't need a formed plastic wad...you don't have the compression forces to deal with deforming the shot that you have in a 12ga.

Simple and a bit old school, but effective for airgun use. :D

http://www.airgunrendezvous.com/rendezv ... ,7489,7613

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion