Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], D_Hall, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

I HATE HOME DEPOT

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:28 pm

oh, come on, guys :? . you are arguing about plastic pipe. use whatever you prefer. SpudBlaster15, name calling is kinda childish, and uncalled for. I have heard that abs is better for combustions because

a. It does not react to hairspray, or many propellants

b. tears, doesn't grenade

c. is lighter

but I have heared that pvc is better for combustions for many reasons, too.

like:

a. better pressure resistance

b. more widely available parts (this is more people's personal experience than anything)

c. the fittings are sometimes cheaper (once again, personal experience)

but, pvc is better for pneumatics.

do the math. there is really no science to it, just personal preference. stop being idiots.

Persistence is a measure of faith in yourself
schmanman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:05 pm

Yeah at this point it wasn't about pvc vrs. abs its that propane is stronger than aerosols but whatever I don't care.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:08 am

yeah, arguing about aerosols vs propane, butane, acetylene, and mapp is not much better.

schmanman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Telestriation » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:58 pm

It's a matter of simple chemistry and physics, with the matter of propellants and such.

None of them work without having oxygen, and aerosols work in their entirety. The non-flammable items are what gum up the works, and have nothing to do with how efficiently something burns.

The hotter these gasses get, the more they expand, thus, more force behind your shot. Propane and aerosol/alchohol heat to similar temperatures, and so they have similar force. The temperature is, in fact, directly proportional to the ratio of oxygen and fuel (Crimeney, I sound like a geek). So, the amount of force is within the realm of uncertainty.

Telestriation
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:08 pm

Telestriation wrote: (Crimeney, I sound like a geek)

that is not a bad thing. as bill gates once said, "be nice to geeks, because you will end up working for one someday" That would make a good signature *hint hint*

Last edited by schmanman on Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmanman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:48 pm

Telestriation wrote:The hotter these gasses get, the more they expand, thus, more force behind your shot. Propane and aerosol/alchohol heat to similar temperatures, and so they have similar force. The temperature is, in fact, directly proportional to the ratio of oxygen and fuel (Crimeney, I sound like a geek). So, the amount of force is within the realm of uncertainty.

Precisely. Combining oxygen with a gaseous fuel such as propane produces gaseous products that occupy only a marginally greater volume than the original gasses. Almost all of the expansion is caused by the immense amount of heat produced by the reaction.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:47 pm

read on "The temperature is, in fact, directly proportional to the ratio of oxygen to fuel" Making propane beter because you can precisley measure the ratio which makes the temperature greater as Telestriation says which also gives it more pressure making the potato go further. But I don't care and I'm not going to read anything else in this post.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:15 am

This is funny. You set yourself up for an attack, then state that you are not going to look at this thread again. Too bad im not in the mood to argue.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion