Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

I HATE HOME DEPOT

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
I HATE HOME DEPOT

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:41 pm

Home Depot has NOTHING! I'm making a new cannon and I want this one to be totally safe especially because I am planning on using metered propane. When I was getting fittings I realized that ALL of them were DVW. The only ones that were NSF-pw were 1.5 inch fittings which are way too small. I guess I will have to go to some plumbing or pvc store. Unless Lowe's will have them. Does anyone else have problems finding non DVW fittings. I find it hard to believe that my Home Depot is the only one that only sells DVW.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ProfessorAmadeus » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:01 pm

Only lowes has the pressure rated parts i discovered. But only up to 2 inch though.

Insomniac wrote:Hey why am I a goose???? Why not somthing a little more awe inspireing, like an eagle or something? LOL

SOO CUTE!! OMG!! I COULD JUST LICK YOU!!
ProfessorAmadeus
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:32 pm

I have several propane combustion guns (one metered), all of which use ABS or DWV PVC pipe. Most have had well over 100 shots, some as many as 500 shots fired. None have cracked, failed, or shown any signs of stress.

If your solvent welds are good, DWV fittings should be fine for a propane combustion gun. I've pressure tested DWV to over 125psi before (DONT try that) and it held up.

Of course, having a safety margin is always a good thing. If you have the money and time to get NSF-PW fittings, go for it. If not, I don't think there will be any problem with using DWV fittings.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:06 pm

Well if Lowe's only has them up to 2 inch that won't do me much good. The problem is Pete, that DVW fittings are supposedly fine one day and then the next day could be brittle and explode. If I can't find any other ones then I'll use the DVW because its only the fittings but I would rather have the NSF-pw.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:32 pm

Is this for a combustion? If so use ABS fittings. If it is for a pneumatic you cna order larger fittings from www.mcmaster.com or www.plumbingsupply.com.

SpudStuff
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:27 pm

Yeah its for a propane combustion and I don't think that would be a good idea. Plus that does nothing because ABS isn't pressure rated either so I mine aswell use DVW. And I have no idea what glue you would use.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:31 pm

You can use ABS on a propane combustion for sure. You use ABS glue availble in the ABS section of the Home depot. The pressure is there for a couple miliseconds. I used it with no problems.

SpudStuff
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:50 pm

Are teh dwv fittings pressure rated?
Some are liek mine.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:02 pm

SpudStuff I know you can use abs on a propane cannon but that isn't going to be any safer for me than DVW so I'd rather just try and find NSF-pw. And frank no the only things they say are NSF-dvw and just other stuff but they dont say NSF-pw or pressure rated or anything.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:07 pm

Oh yes it is! It is cheaper and will not grenade of it does blow. There have been MANY dissucions on this so don't get into it. The fact is you can use and feel safe using an ABS combustion.

SpudStuff
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:37 pm

When building a combustion, I would choose ABS fittings over pressure rated PVC fittings any day. ABS can withstand the 40-60psi momentary pressure spike generated by the combustion of the fuel just as well as pressure rated PVC, and if it does fail, it will simply tear rather than fragment. The reason most ABS is not pressure rated is because it cannot withstand sustained pressure, wheras NSF-pw PVC can. This is not an issue with a combustion cannon, however.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:43 pm

SpudBlaster you are wrong ABS is just not pressure rated. PERIOD you don't know it can take the 40-60psi (unless you study ABS or something). And SpudStuff I just don't want it to explode at all so I am going to stick with pressure rated PVC. I'm not trying to make an arguement or anything here but I'm just going to find pressure rated PVC fittings.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:49 pm

Uh, actually I DO know that it will withstand the 40-60psi generated. This explanation was formed as a result of the observations taken after 100+ shots using my ABS DWV cannon without incident, and through the experiences of dozens of other people who have had the same result.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:53 pm

Exactly my point!

SpudStuff
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:54 pm

Just because you have an ABS and DVW cannon that didn't blow up yet that doesn't mean anything. Also it is said that one day DVW can be fine and the next blow up from the same amount of pressure. And is your cannon using metered propane because if not than that is another factor that shows your explanation is wrong.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion