Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 47 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], farcticox1, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

ABS Cellular Core with propane

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
ABS Cellular Core with propane

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:52 pm

Will it hold up?

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:59 pm

No. Cellular core can explode with any aerosol I wouldn't use it just spend a few bucks and buy pvc.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:17 pm

Cellular core ABS will most certainly hold the ~60psi generated by the combustion of propane in air. However, solid wall ABS would be a better bet.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:27 pm

Why would you wanna risk it and plus if you have a perfect mixture of propane it can generate 102psi.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:55 pm

Did you just do that calculation? If so, you forgot to subtract 14.7 (atmospheric pressure) as the starting pressure. Propane can theoretically generate around 87psi in ideal circumstances, but realistically, it is not going to happen in a potato gun. The actual pressure spike is closer to 60psi.

Why would I want to risk it? Well, I wouldnt. He asked if it would hold up, and I said yes because it will, but there is always the chance that something will go wrong.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:16 pm

No i was asking him if he wanted to risk it. I just heard from someone that it is 102 psi but you are probably right but still that is 17 psi above 60 so I wouldn't risk it frank. Pvc is cheap too why don't you wanna just use pvc?

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:01 pm

I have a cell core ABS combustion gun (250ci chamber, interchangeable barrels, propane injection, camera flash ignition) that's seen upwards of 500 shots, in very hot and very cold weather, with no signs of wear on the chamber at all.
I've personally pressurized 4" cell core ABS to over 100psi without failure. I personally think it's quite safe. If ABS does fail, it will rip clean and won't shrapnel like PVC will. I've made it fail just to see what happens.
This is just my opinion and experience. If it doesn't work for you, don't hold me responsible.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:06 pm

Well stated, Pete. It seems that people automatically think "Oh no, ABS cell core, it will explode if I blow into it!". The fact is, it can take alot more pressure than one would assume.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:00 pm

The reason I don't want to use Pvc, is because my cannon ia already built and I dont want to build a new one, I just want to upgrade it.
And to the guy who says abs will blow from aerosal....Thats a whole lot of bs. Pvc is more likely to blow in a combustion than a Abs.
Pvc from my supply is a burden to buy, You cant buy just a few feet of it you have to buy 10ft or 20ft.
ANd that can be expensive. FOr 10 ft of 3" it costs more than 25$

frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: experament_u2 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:47 pm

just go with wat works for u and im not saying go out there and get killed but u do havto die from somthing 8) if ABS is cheap and easy to get just use it it should be able to wistand it and if ure a bit skiddish just remote activate it the first time u shoot or ask ur freind to :lol: 8)

experament_u2
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Its not just that its abs its cell core abs. And that really sucks I can buy 12 feet of 3" for 8$

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:59 pm

Abs is about 1$ more a foot, but I chose it for my cannon over durability issues. I tend to drop things if they are fragile.

frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:26 pm

I would never build a combustion gun out of PVC pipe either. Far too brittle, especially when cold. My ABS guns have been knocked over, run into solid objects, etc, and neither of them show any signs of degredation. I would be afraid to even carry a PVC gun outside.

A couple years ago I built an adjustable, collapsable jump for my Nitro RC truck out of 1" PVC pipe. The first time I hit it at 1/4 throttle, the structure snapped in 7 places. I rebuilt it using ABS pipe and fittings, and it has held up for 2 years.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:35 pm

ok I just wouldn't use cell core abs. I don't have I problem with using abs although I would rather use pvc personally I think you shouldn't use cell core.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion