Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

shrader valves and coke bottles?

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: willarddaniels » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:13 pm

First off, sorry for the novel.

Pics of schrader valves...
The smaller black one is typically what you use, called a size 413 (but most tire shops won't know the different size designations.) The longer black one is a 418. According to my caliper, both have a diameter of .582" or ~9/16" or ~15mm where the valve will seat against the chamber.

This is what Killjoy was referring to: All valves have a core (the smallest item in the pic) and can easily be extracted and replaced. The end of the 418 has an extractor attached to the end as an end cap. Also, if you are threatened with gun like that in the USA, it is called "assault with a deadly weapon" and is punishable by imprisonment. Yes, the US allows it's citizens to own weapons and with proper permits, you can conceal/carry a weapon; however, misuse of these privileges/rights is taken very seriously. This fellow should have been reported to the authorities.

The chrome valve stem is excellent because you can get a sure seal and is much easier to use, as well as stronger. Les Schwab (sp) sels them for $6.50 each. I haggled another tire shop down to $1.00 each, just by making them the offer of a buck a piece. I bought 4. (This is the only one I purchased, I had all the others with my wheel weights, etc.)

Finally, the brass stem fits inside an even larger valve stem from a large ag tube. You will need to drill and tap a hole for it and would probably be used just in hybrids. I don't have one (don't need one), but there are even larger stems/cores that you can get to fill up your pneumatics even faster, without using a quick connect fitting. All said, it would be easier to use a chrome stem. Find a rural-servicing tire shop and see if they have a few extra large-bore valves on old non-repairable tractor tubes.

Installation: most tire shops use a soapy water to lubricate tire beads and sometimes the valve stems when they install them. You can do the same, just use liquid dish soap or petroleum jelly to lubricate the stem when you pull it through the hole. With thicker material, especially when doubling up sch 40, the notch in the stem is thinner than the chamber. You must then either use a chrome valve stem or use the glue and tape method suggested by Insomniac. (great drawing, btw)
  • 0

valve stems001.jpg
valve stems001.jpg (20.84 KiB) Viewed 343 times
User avatar
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Idaho
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:28 pm

the top ones rock!
  • 0

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
User avatar
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:47 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: imjustpk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:25 pm

thanx, i went and got some chrome, i thought it would probably be a safer route, but i think im going to see if some of the others will do
  • 0

User avatar
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:12 am
Reputation: 0


Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]

Reputation System ©'