Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], mark.f, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Plans for Pengun

Discuss miniature cannons built from things such as pill bottles and pen caps.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Plans for Pengun

Unread postAuthor: SpaceSpudOne » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Hello, longtime lurker, first time poster here. On the inspiration of JSR, I've decided to build a pengun. I picked up a 6" long 3/4" Copper pipe, as the air chamber, (I know, not exactly "Pen" size), and a 1/4" OD 8" long copper pipe as the barrel. My piston is going to be a hot glue plug molded from the 3/4" pipe. Will I need to use anything on the sealing side of the piston, or will the glue seal it fine? And the packaging on the barrel says "Soft Copper". Is this ok, or will it flatten due to the pressure? Sorry for all the questions, I'm kind of new to these "Mini's".

SpaceSpudOne
Private
Private

Re: Plans for Pengun

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm

SpaceSpudOne wrote:Hello, longtime lurker, first time poster here. On the inspiration of JSR, I've decided to build a pengun. I picked up a 6" long 3/4" Copper pipe, as the air chamber, (I know, not exactly "Pen" size), and a 1/4" OD 8" long copper pipe as the barrel. My piston is going to be a hot glue plug molded from the 3/4" pipe. Will I need to use anything on the sealing side of the piston, or will the glue seal it fine?

A rubber disk is always a good idea. Also, make sure the barrel pipe is not too thin or it will cut into the piston, remember that there is a net force pushing the piston against the barrel. In your case, for every 100 psi there is around 5 lbs for force.

And the packaging on the barrel says "Soft Copper". Is this ok, or will it flatten due to the pressure? Sorry for all the questions, I'm kind of new to these "Mini's".

Not unless you intend to operate at several thousand psi ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpaceSpudOne » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:57 pm

Ok, I just finished building it. Now comes the hard part- Waiting for the epoxy to dry :lol: I epoxied a piece of bicycle inner tube to the front of the piston, I think that should seal the barrel quite well. To stop it from digging into the piston, I fit the pipe inside a short bit of 6mm barrel from an old airsoft gun. Here's some pics I took, the blue tape is just there to hold the epoxy until it cures. (EDIT) I tried it today, and the piston wouldn't seal. So, I took it apart, and am going to try the rubber piston. How thick should the piston be?

SpaceSpudOne
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:40 pm

SpaceSpudOne wrote:Ok, I just finished building it. Now comes the hard part- Waiting for the epoxy to dry :lol:

The curse of the latheless spudder ;)

I epoxied a piece of bicycle inner tube to the front of the piston, I think that should seal the barrel quite well. To stop it from digging into the piston, I fit the pipe inside a short bit of 6mm barrel from an old airsoft gun. Here's some pics I took, the blue tape is just there to hold the epoxy until it cures. (EDIT) I tried it today, and the piston wouldn't seal. So, I took it apart, and am going to try the rubber piston. How thick should the piston be?

half inch at least should be ok.

My advice is to cut it out with a piece of sharpened camber tubing, watch your fingers though ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Miniature Cannon Discussion