Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 40 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

making threads with epoxy

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
making threads with epoxy

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:31 pm

I'm now part of the school robotics team :roll: . Not nearly as great as spudgun building

anyways I was trying to mount a air cylinder on a special swivel ball and socket thingy but the threads on the cylinder are weird they are like almost like a common bolt type in the tap kit but like 1/16" off in size, I can't use a dye on the cylinder's threads because they might want to reuse it and with the same fittings.

so right now the cylinder's threads are held in a butchered socket of the swivel joint, I was wondering if i could try casing the threads with epoxy by first coating the cylinder threads with petroleum jelly or oil the pushing them into the socket with epoxy in it

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:55 pm

It would probably be a better idea to use something like "thread repair compound" although even that might not be up to the tolerances you are looking for.
I would be a bit nervous that epoxy would be permanent unless you were very careful with greasing the threads very evenly and thoroughly.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Polymorph :)

Squidge some of that about the threads and when cooled and hardened it's pretty much like solid nylon. So it could easily be removed afterwards.

Absolutely a terrible idea however if there are any common thermoplastics that will come in contact with it while it's soft. It sticks to those like tar.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Eddbot » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:25 am

Hotwired wrote:Polymorph :)

Squidge some of that about the threads and when cooled and hardened it's pretty much like solid nylon. So it could easily be removed afterwards.

Absolutely a terrible idea however if there are any common thermoplastics that will come in contact with it while it's soft. It sticks to those like tar.

for some reason that made me laugh really hard, but i do agree with what you said, it just made me laugh and i don't know why

:edfirst:
Eddbot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:36 am

I've done this before to make the silencer for my CO2 AK, make sure all the contact areas are greased well, but not too much or the thread cast won't be deep enough:

Attachments
aksdleft.JPG
akmuzzle.JPG
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Matheusilla » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:21 pm

You could also just polish the threads to be epoxied, it will give a tighter fit but still come apart. Basically, in my experiences, epoxy can be removed from almost all "fine" surfaces with a little scraping,as long as the surfaces are of a non-porous, metallic nature :smile:

Matheusilla
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:46 am

thanks guys I've been busy for the past few days I think I'll give it a shot now

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion