Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 35 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Cool Avatar/ Usernames?

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Cool Avatar/ Usernames?

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Fri May 02, 2008 11:45 am

Well my next project for asap will probably be to get an avatar.
I wanted to either use a photo of a cool drawing I have.
Or a Photo of a sword I made or the only sentimental object I own which is a statue of David and Goliath.

Also I have noticed that some new members' usernames are kind of goofy sometimes.(IMO)

First I thought it would be a bad idea if we suggest some for people(because they help you know people's style)
But now I am thinking we can't let new spud member buddies have goofy username or avatars right?

So I am wondering what you guys think would make cool avatars or usernames :?:

I hope this post will help people becoming members here decide on something maybe. :wink: 8)
Edit: also I wanted some ideas for signatures maybe there's something you think would be cool but are not going to use.
Also with the avatar I was thinking it would be cool (or funny) to have a picture of prince William or Bruce Lee or maybe Ghandi or something!!!

Last edited by THUNDERLORD on Fri May 02, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:55 am

why can't we let them have goofy usernames?? I don't really see a problem with that, its more of how and what they post IMHO

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri May 02, 2008 12:01 pm

I think we should let new members decide their own username / avatar / signature for themselves. It is their expression to what they think is cool.

A better suggestion would be to ASK new members why they chose the name / avatar / signature they chose.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Fri May 02, 2008 12:02 pm

Yeah but a username is very important. IMHO it should involve serious thought because it will be hard to change once someone becomes an established member of this great forum.
I was just thinking to help give people ideas/ examples of what we think would be cool.

BTW when I made my username I was on an unfamiliar computer and the caps lock was on but now I kind of like it.
Also I like to think it's my alter ego even
(sounds schizo a little but it's fun).

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: rcman50166 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:03 pm

Well as you can see I like themed avatars/signatures. It make everything easier on the eyes. My signature is a quote by the man who invented the tesla coil himself: Nikola Tesla. The only reason my username doesn't match is because it is the one I use for everything else too; youtube, email, xbox, and other forums.

rcman50166
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:13 pm

i really think that it doesn't need a lot of serious thought. It should be something that expresses you, so lets just leave it at that.

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri May 02, 2008 12:22 pm

Well, some people need to do some serious thinking to know who they are.

Deep.

My username is what it is, because I thought it was cool.
My avatar is what it is, because I thought it was hilarious.
My sig is what it is, because I support the idea fully.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Fri May 02, 2008 12:22 pm

rcman50166 wrote:Well as you can see I like themed avatars/signatures. It make everything easier on the eyes. My signature is a quote by the man who invented the tesla coil himself: Nikola Tesla. The only reason my username doesn't match is because it is the one I use for everything else too; youtube, email, xbox, and other forums.

Cool, but you are "the RC Man" !!! (jk) I like your avatar and username btw.

That's good advice I hadn't thought of to use the same thing for more places such as e-mail etc.

That's also one reason I feel a lot of thought should be given.Thanks 8)

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri May 02, 2008 12:31 pm

I use one of two aliases, depending on what I'm doing with it. Makes things so much simpler.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: sniper hero » Fri May 02, 2008 12:32 pm

let them choose it for them self
I agree some are a little strange
and I had some problems finding a good enough avatar in the correct size.

but I think everyone needs an avatar because then you can have a kind of image about who wrights it and you can easy recconise it

proud member of dutch spud clan
coming: semi auto pellet sniper:D
sniper hero
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri May 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Indeed sniper. I'm sure most people around here are familiar with my pancake bunny. Matter of fact, when I tried to change it a while back, a couple people even demanded that I change it back to the bunny.

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Fri May 02, 2008 12:49 pm

paaiyan wrote:Well, some people need to do some serious thinking to know who they are.

Deep.

My username is what it is, because I thought it was cool.
My avatar is what it is, because I thought it was hilarious.
My sig is what it is, because I support the idea fully.

Indeed, I agree with that. It's a good presentation you have (IMO).
I think having an avatar is important just because they help someone remember your post or reply.

By having the bunny for example, people will remember easier and get a laugh maybe too. which is good.

With your signature, I was thinking the same view when the VA Tech incident occured. Someone could have possibly saved the lives of all but one of the students who were so tragically lost.

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri May 02, 2008 12:54 pm

Shameless plug, you should check out their site. There is a LOAD of information and links to studies.

I use the bunny on a gaming forum as well, and anytime I go to our gaming servers people remember me that way. Hey aren't you the bunny guy? Yea. OK.

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Fri May 02, 2008 1:20 pm

hubb017 wrote:I think we should let new members decide their own username / avatar / signature for themselves. It is their expression to what they think is cool.

A better suggestion would be to ASK new members why they chose the name / avatar / signature they chose.

I think some people misunderstood, I don't mean to pick for them. That's why I did state:
"I hope this post will help people becoming members here decide on something maybe" in the post.

That's a good suggestion hubb017, to ask new members why they chose whatever if it's not to your liking.

Personally there's very little someone could say in a computer response that I would feel seriously offended about myself.
Also, @sniper hero that's a cool username and avatar.(IMO)

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Fri May 02, 2008 1:24 pm

How many of you pronounce it "Eff-Nord"?
You're wrong. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fnord

My avatar is anything random/funny I find when I go looking for a new one every month or two.

I may stop using the current projects list as a sig, as my current projects have grow far past what's listed there.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion