Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Happy Independace Day!

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:55 am

judgment_arms wrote:Dang stupid politicians, why don’t they all just crawl back into the hole from whence they came…

Because we're the idiots who continue to vote for them :?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:34 am

starman wrote:Jan 26 is a different story though huhh Carl... :wink: For those not familiar, Jan 26 is Australia Day, very similar to Independance Day in the US. I had the priviledge of actually being in Perth, W.A. during Australia Day back in '97. Great times for sure....on average, you aussies are sure laid back, esp on the west coast.

BLOODY OATH!! the best bloody day of the year, beer and barbies you cant go wrong :P

did you go see the skyworks on the foreshore? thats where all the fun is to be had before the night long party :D

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:48 am

Carlman wrote:
starman wrote:Jan 26 is a different story though huhh Carl... :wink: For those not familiar, Jan 26 is Australia Day, very similar to Independance Day in the US. I had the priviledge of actually being in Perth, W.A. during Australia Day back in '97. Great times for sure....on average, you aussies are sure laid back, esp on the west coast.

BLOODY OATH!! the best bloody day of the year, beer and barbies you cant go wrong :P

did you go see the skyworks on the foreshore? thats where all the fun is to be had before the night long party :D

Indeed I did...apparently Jimmy Barnes "Working Class Man" is your national anthem down there... :wink: All the really big fireworks were being shot while that played...everyone on their feet and practically weeping with pride... :) I did actually get "mooned" by a few overly exhuberant youth types on the beach...all good fun though.

I was actually there on business but had some time to visit the beautiful park up on the hill overlooking the city. It was a great visit overall.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:54 am

You speak of kings park. nice place to just sit and relax.

Yea well i too am a youth and thats very common on Aussie day :wink:

Not quite our national anthem more like 'i come from a land down under' :D

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:23 pm

Ragnarok wrote:Now it's time to point out that Cleveland was a UK county first. :P
Not very inventive you Yanks, you took a lot of UK county names, and then, if you were feeling energetic, just added "New" to the beginning. :D

Well, after inventing ways to just survive in a wild new land, there was precious little energy to worry too much about inventing new words to name everything. On the contrary, you should feel a sense of pride that so much of the Brit culture and history is forever planted here.

BTW, I like being called "Yanks"...sort of a term of endearment in a way. It's a term that is never used among Americans these days to describe themselves, so the implication is always from the perspective of a non-American. As used today, the word seems to scream out rebellious lovers of liberty and freedom....just the way we like it... :wink:

Carlman wrote:You speak of kings park. nice place to just sit and relax.

Oh yes yes, Kings Park. There were some very unique birch type trees lining the way up there, strange paper-like tree bark...also some very beautiful exotic birds made there home there as well. It may be common for you guys, being semi-tropical there. Nice outdoor amphi-theater....several war memorials there as well....

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:59 pm

yea the place is basically dedicated to veterans and serving folk.

we call then paper barks here :wink:

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:18 pm

starman wrote:On the contrary, you should feel a sense of pride that so much of the Brit culture and history is forever planted here.

Only because you wouldn't have much culture and history without borrowing some. ;)

More seriously, it's still surprises me to this day that on the occasions I do go to famous tourist sites the sheer number of Americans there are there.
The fact there are records of thousands of years of British history - pretty much since the Roman invasions, although the Dark Ages disrupt that - that's perfectly normal to me, so I don't really know the appeal of it to an outsider.

BTW, I like being called "Yanks"...sort of a term of endearment in a way.

Never said you couldn't like it... it just seemed more appropriate to the situation, a bit less formal.

judgment_arms wrote:Bah, you just jealous ‘cause you don’t live in a place were HEAL is legal.

Heck, there ain't nuttin that's legal here bruh.

Don't know why I did imagined that in a black dude's accent, but I did, so live with it.

4th o’ July is not celebrating a war, it’s celebrating our independence from the tyranny of the Crown.

... which, in the end, is still the result of a war.
I'm more the type that thinks wars should be dealt with a bit more like Remembrance Sunday, but I suppose there is room for exceptions to the rule.

That's not a bomb...

^ That's a bomb. :D

...And it's British too. ;)

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: n-strike » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Sucks that there was no Canada Day thread...>=(

What a waste of 300 spud bux.
n-strike
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:49 pm

Happy 4th to my neighbors to the south. :)

Yanks and Americans all. :wink:

Play safe and I hope you all retain the same number of appendages in the morning!

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: starman » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:52 am

Ragnarok wrote:
starman wrote:On the contrary, you should feel a sense of pride that so much of the Brit culture and history is forever planted here.

Only because you wouldn't have much culture and history without borrowing some. ;)

We didn't "borrow" anything...most of the people that came over here were British subjects...they were who they were. It's not like the founders appeared out of nowhere and decided to borrow a little British culture and history to get a new country started. If anything they were too steeped in it already...that's what they were escaping... :roll:

It's OK Rag, I'm know the Brit superiorist tone when I hear it... We "colonists" love you guys in spite of it.... :wink:

Ragnarok wrote:More seriously, it's still surprises me to this day that on the occasions I do go to famous tourist sites the sheer number of Americans there are there.
The fact there are records of thousands of years of British history - pretty much since the Roman invasions, although the Dark Ages disrupt that - that's perfectly normal to me, so I don't really know the appeal of it to an outsider.;)

British history, is also our history. My personal bloodline is mostly German and English and I find European history extremely interesting. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to see how others feel the same way and wish to take in some of the nerdy little tours.

Ragnarok wrote:^ That's a bomb. :D

...And it's British too. ;)

Yes, good ole Tall Boys...wrecked havok on the Nazi fatherland...and we thank you for it!!

Gippeto wrote:Happy 4th to my neighbors to the south. :)

Yanks and Americans all. :wink:

Play safe and I hope you all retain the same number of appendages in the morning!

Thanks Gippeto! All appendages still intact on my front, although my eardrums need a little rest at this point..

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:13 am

starman wrote:It's OK Rag, I'm know the Brit superiorist tone when I hear it... We "colonists" love you guys in spite of it....

Nah, I'm kidding. I do know enough about world history that I know why things are they way they are.

It's just a bit odd - to me, at least - that Americans celebrate their independence from Britain (with copious quantities of explosive), but at the same time, are so interested in it.

My personal bloodline is mostly German and English and I find European history extremely interesting.

Actually, appropriately to that subject, my uncle, aunt and cousin are over from the States at the moment to "see Europe".

This is all because my cousin has finished high school, and now she's planning to go to university, so they're doing this trip before she gets tied up in that.
She's legally a UK citizen, but has lived in the US for 15 of the 17 years of her life, so for all real practical purposes, she's had a similar upbringing to most American kids - and this is really to allow her to see her heritage (both her parents are also UK citizens).

Yes, good ole Tall Boys...wrecked havok on the Nazi fatherland...and we thank you for it!!

That's actually the larger Grand Slam bomb, with almost twice the payload of the Tall Boy at 4.2 tons of Torpex explosive (which is about 50% more powerful than TNT by weight).

Worryingly, a live Grand Slam was unknowingly used as a display at RAF Scampton until 1958. :shock:

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Previous

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion