Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 42 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

spud gun legalty in Canada

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
spud gun legalty in Canada

Unread postAuthor: pocket » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:54 pm

ok so me and my friend are screwing around in his backyard with a spud gun we had 2 a pneumatic and a combustion that looks like a rocket launcher anyways were screwing around when his neighbour comes home he looks over the fence and apparently he is a firearms instructor so he asks if he can see the things so we show him and he looks up on his secret set of firearm classification rules and tells us that we have manufactured an illegal firearm (the combustion) and the other one was fine so it turns out up here in igloo country it is illegal to manufacture spud guns if they are over 500fps. the reason this thread was started was to inform fellow Canadians of the legality issues here if u have any other information please post!!!

pocket
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: spud gun legalty in Canada

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:00 pm

pocket wrote:he looks up on his secret set of firearm classification rules and tells us that we have manufactured an illegal firearm (the combustion) and the other one was fine

Technically, they're both illegal in Canada - have a look here for the "secret" rules.

On the other hand, these rules don't seem to bother some backstophobic fellow citizens of yours ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:14 pm

DYI have no problem with the law when he can beat the laws of physics :)

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:38 pm

SpudFarm wrote:DYI have no problem with the law when he can beat the laws of physics :)

You know that old Clash song, "I fought the law"?

The lyrics originally went "I fought the laws of physics, and the laws won", but it didn't scan properly, so they changed it.
Other verses included: "I fought the 2nd law of thermodynamics, and that won too", and "I fought quantum physics, but I ended up with a 50% dead cat".

Only three people can fight the laws of physics and win, but all we have to their identities are these scarce clues.
- One is reported to have a beard and a penchant for roundhouse kicks.
- Another is said to dress only in black, kill between 8 and 4500 people in a day, and can answer almost any question in a way you weren't expecting.
- All we know about the last one is that he once threw a microwave oven at a tramp, he sucks the moisture from ducks and could solve the Da Vinci code in 43 seconds.

It's taking me forever to work out who they are.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:42 pm

are you kidding rag? :S

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: pocket » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:44 pm

-chuck Norris
-Marlin Manson
-and who the fuc* knows

pocket
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:54 pm

@Spudfarm: Of course. I wrote the descriptions. :P

pocket wrote:-chuck Norris
-Marlin Manson
-and who the fuc* knows

Only the 1 of those three was right - come on, you can do better than that.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:02 pm

Your average spudgun is only a bit more legal in Canada than it is in places like the U.K. Technically, if it can fire a projectile over 500 fps with more than some ridiculously small amount of kinetic energy, it's classified as a firearm. Probably as a muzzle loader, so it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to get it licensed, but licensing is still more trouble than it's worth in most cases.

From my experiences with Canadian law, the trick is to be inconspicuous; firing large combustion launchers or hybrids in your back yard probably isn't a good idea. I could get away with the SCTBDC because it was efficient to the point of near-silence. When I started working with hybrids, it didn't take long for the noise complaints to start rolling in, and a few visits from our friendly neighbourhood law enforcement followed soon after. Come to think of it, I might rebuild a high powered pneumatic at some point. It really was fun to be able to walk out into my back yard and propel a 2 pound slug in the general direction of my shed at about 500 feet per second...

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm guessing you can get around the 500 fps restriction by saying that you only pump the launcher to 50 psi. The average person (and probably most firearms experts) would be dubious that you could make a 1000 fps launcher with Home Depot plumbing parts and a bike pump.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:47 pm

The restriction involves both velocity and muzzle energy, whichever comes first.

I'm with DYI- the trick is to just not draw too much attention to yourself. No matter where you are, someone will probably complain if you're off firing your homemade Howitzer in your yard. Kinda sucks that your neighbour is a firearms expert though, I mean...what are the chances :roll:

And Rag...is the second dude the ninja from "ask a ninja"?

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:21 am

It's very much the case that everything is legal until you're caught by the rozzers.
It also helps to be on good terms with all neighbours, and explain it to them even if you do have to be a little creative with exactly what you have and what the law says.

TurboSuper wrote:And Rag...is the second dude the ninja from "ask a ninja"?

That it would be.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: purp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:26 am

Person #3 - The Stig

purp
Private
Private

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion