Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 42 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Low-Speed Ram Jet

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: brplatz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Ragnarok wrote:
Sticky_Tape wrote:Don't you mean subsonic?

Sorry, afraid not..

A true ram jets can't work at all when the air flow is under Mach 1 - below that speed, it's just a glorified blowtorch, which won't provide any trust.
"Low speed ram jet" is a total misnomer. Unless that RC car is impossibly fast, this won't be able to provide thrust.

If you really want a subsonic jet engine with a minimum of moving parts, a valveless pulse jet is the best bet.

i agree completely. this is just a fun project to screw around with till i get materials for my valveless pulsejet working.

"Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives...the trick is, not to be around when they go off" Col. Mertz Von Quiriheim
brplatz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Pilgor » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fciwFk0IfF8

jam jar pulse jet....... easy to make

Pilgor
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: brplatz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:40 pm

already made one but it didn't work as well as his. but all i had was gasoline and lighter fluid

"Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives...the trick is, not to be around when they go off" Col. Mertz Von Quiriheim
brplatz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Well, it sure looks cool. If I were you I'd start the worlds first ramjet grill.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: brplatz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:02 pm

look at gippetos siphon burner! that could heat a million grills! :D

brplatz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:55 am

That might be stretching it some. :)

I couldn't PM these so I guess I'll just put them here? Any problems, just let me know, and they're gone.

Attachments
HPIM3416.JPG
My favorite shot of version 2.
HPIM3413.JPG
Version 2 cranked up. No fan needed for start. Quieter due to smoother airflow. Burns further down the tube where it's supposed to. Big improvement!
HPIM3407.JPG
The start. Version 1. Running on 50/50 used car oil and diesel. Had to use a fan to start it. Deafening is the best description.
"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:28 am

TurboSuper wrote:Well, it sure looks cool. If I were you I'd start the worlds first ramjet grill.

Ah, well, the Top Gear boys did once build a grill that used a pulse jet engine from a V1 doodlebug. :D
So the idea of a jet based grill couldn't be entirely original. (And no doubt it's been done for years already)

However, I doubt that that particular Top Gear offering been seen much outside the UK, because it was done for a charity show, so unlike the regular series, I don't think it'll have been sold out.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:10 pm

The top gear boys are awesome, love the way they turned up to the challenge against that German show in Spitfires :D

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: brplatz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:52 pm

@gippeto

what is your V2 made out of?
also what kind of nozzle are you using to spray or atomize fuel?

i have plenty of old SS coffee mugs from this last project just waiting to be used :D

brplatz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:00 pm

I thought I mentioned that?

The burn tube is made from 2 1/2" exhaust pipe. The nozzle is a modified 175000btu unit from a Mr. Heater kerosene heater. (I think it's made by Delavan) The nozzle holder is stock.

The shape and length of the burn tube, especially the taper section, will determine how well the burner works.

Go ahead and try your coffee mugs, they might work fine. :)

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion