Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

I Has an HHO Machine!

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
I Has an HHO Machine!

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Yep, you read that right folks, I finally got my bloody HHO machine working. After reading all these threads about HHO, I decided to cook up my own machine.

First, some pics:

I had originally started with the other HHO machine design posted here, using washers and bolts as electrodes. Being the dumbass I am, I didn't use stainless steel parts and it corroded almost immediately.

So I figured I may as well do this up right and use stainless steel plates. This created a bit of a conundrum because I have no idea where to buy stainless steel sheet metal locally. Not to mention it's expensive and heavy.

Then I figured: Why not use spoons?

Instead of raiding the cutlery drawer, I went to the dollar store and picked up spoons at a rate of 3/$1. I beheaded them with a bolt cutter, and pounded em flat with a sledgehammer. Then I drilled holes where the spoon meets the handle and soldered 4 of them to a bit of stainless steel rod. Repeating this, I had a pair of electrode jigs on the cheap, which were then JB-Welded into an ABS endcap.(pic 2)

For a power supply, I used a 8A,5V board I had picked up at a surplus store for $13 (pic 3).

This method is considerably more complicated than the bolt/washer method, since it involves alot more machining, and soldering stianless steel can be tricky. I still need to get a baloon to see how much HHO it produces, but it was producing ALOT of bubbles.

It has some minor leaking issues from improper cementing, hence the blue crap at the bottom.

So now you don't have to listen to me harp about it on the chat anymore :D

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: FishBoy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:56 pm

ooohh... *drools*

now you just need a badass cannon to go with it. Good jod :D

FishBoy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:04 pm

Nice generator, never would have thought to use spoons.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Looks good. What are you going to use as the electrolyte?

You really should just call it an H<sub>2</sub>+O<sub>2</sub> generator. Or, better yet, call it what these devices has been called for more than a century, an electrolysis machine. "HHO" is used by hacks and con artists. There is no such thing as "HHO". The use of the term "HHO" just screams "ignore me! i'm an idiot that believes in perpetual motion, greater than unity energy generation, big foot, republicans are fiscally conservative ..."

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks for the positive replies guys, and yes, I may consider building a cannon soon :D

@Jimmy: I hear what you're saying, but "HHO" rolls off the tongue better, and "electrolysis machine" seems to often get mistaken for a body hair removal device. I guess you could call it a Brown's Gas generator.

I've been using Baking Soda as the electrolyte.

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:21 pm

I agree with Jimmy regarding the "HHO" phenom....basically it isn't one. I filled a plastic bag with the stuff in chemistry class back in 1973...made it go BOOOM lighting it with a match...got an A on the project.

It's been around forever and I think even giving it a new name like "Brown's Gas" or HHO is a little presumptuous.

Last edited by starman on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:30 pm

It's really fun to fill a balloon with hydrogen and oxygen and then make it go boom :twisted:

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:59 pm

TurboSuper wrote:I've been using Baking Soda as the electrolyte.

You might consider using sodium or potassium hydroxide (NaOH or KOH) instead. Iron and steel don't corrode nearly as much in a strongly basic solution. Bicarb is a moderately strong base but NaOH or KOH would cause less corrosion of the electrodes.

Concentrated solutions of NaOH and KOH are pretty corrosive to skin, eyes and pretty much anything biological. So they are more dangerous to use, especially considering the cell is sealed, and it is getting hot, and it is generating gas ...

You can get NaOH or KOH at the store, usually sold as drain cleaners. (Drano also has aluminum fileings in it.)

You might want to read the Brown's gas patent since it has a pretty good discusion of the cell configuration, electrodes, electrolyte, voltages etc.
one
two

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: rp181 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:26 pm

Use NaOH, home depot and lowes have it called Crystal drain opener, with it, i used plain steel plates perfectly fine. Also, make sure if you use NaOH to keep it clean, dont let any contaniments get in, Fat and gresse react to make soap, which means you output is flammable bubbles. I also think you should put a bubbler to get rid of contaniments and the stray bubble, and put a flame arrestor.

My first basic one didnt have one, and KABOOM! i got a a bunch of sodium hydroxide around my eye (not in). Not pleasent :wink:

rp181
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Awesome electrolysis machine! (I agree on the fact that HHO doesn't look very professional.)
I love your idea of using stainless steel spoons!
Im building one too, electrodes are currently 16-17cm long, 10mm diameter stainless steel threaded rods (7 of em), I only need a way to connect them.
I figured I would need stainless steel wire to wrap around, but you soldered!
Are these solderings submerged and thus exposed to the electrolytic effects?
Can the soldering withstand this? (Wont it react?)

You could indeed step over to NaOH or KOH, easily bought as drain cleaner, only downside is that some of these contain little alluminium balls, I remember myself picking these all out, takes darn much time :lol:
Though if you just wait a minute, they react with the NaOH, producing hydrogen (even more of it! xD) and they will turn black and will not react any further.

BTW, quite an interesting patent you posted there jimmy :)
Example from what I got out of it in 5 minutes flash-reading: 40 - 60 degrees Celsius is the optimal temperature. Never knew that!

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks for the tips folks, I'm relatively new to this so it helps. I read about using a pure base in other threads, and I suppose I'll buy some drano next time I'm out. The cleaning effect is a nice touch.

Yes, the soldering job is completely submerged...I pray it holds up to the electrolysis effect- it seems to be doing fine so far.

I'm currently trying to inflate a balloon with my electrolysis machine as we speak. It seems to be going slowly, but the baloon is filling up.

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Coodude26 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:25 pm

I have one half built, I was going to use it as an oxygen bar, that is until I found out pure oxygen is deadly....now what should I use it for?

Plumbers have a funny definition of half an inch...

[quote=chinnerz]once my and one of my mates spent a whole day modding a nurf pistol.... it ended up shooting 1 extra meter and had an awesome paint job. (not rly worth it) [/quote]

/\why I don't like Nerf...
Coodude26
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Ok, I think I figured out why it's going so slowly: Leaks!

I tightened around the balloon and it filled it up in about 5 seconds, but then it started leaking and stopped....grr....

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:57 am

Coodude26 wrote:I have one half built, I was going to use it as an oxygen bar, that is until I found out pure oxygen is deadly....now what should I use it for?

Some extra oxygen so now and then (just one breath and then air again) is not deadly, in fact, people use canisters with oxygen to regain oxygen in their blood faster when sporting.
What I would worry about are other gases coming with. An homebuilt electrolysis device does not give off clean oxygen. Chrome will get into your water if you use stainless electrodes, and I would also worry about small droplets that get released in the air as it bubbles, and these droplets may contain chrome and/or your electrolyte.

EDIT:
TurboSuper wrote:Ok, I think I figured out why it's going so slowly: Leaks!

I tightened around the balloon and it filled it up in about 5 seconds, but then it started leaking and stopped....grr....

Epoxy!

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion