Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 78 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

flash gun

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: rp181 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:53 pm

frankly, for that little power, its too much effort. It would be easier to focus sunlight or a torch light. I can burn papaer with the sun and a snowglobe, and thats with a huge snowman in the middle. Binoculers work well too (dont look in to it to find the sun....).

rp181
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:40 am

Have a look at this. It uses similar ideas but carries a little (200w/cm) more power, I am always on the lookout for a suitable lens :) http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant-Fresnel-Lens-Deathray-An-Experiment-in-Opti/

With a good enough lens setup there is the possibility of making a "laser" but realisticly you probably wont get fire further than 30m away

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: enigmacipher » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:42 pm

no i don't want to light stuff on fire from a distance.

turbo super pretty much knew exactly what I meant.

I just want a really really bright and short flashlight. heat isntt important. I just want to make a fairly directional, very bright flash.

I really don't think it should be that hard. I just don't know any place that sells lenses or suitable reflectors.

enigmacipher
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: starman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:27 pm

enigmacipher wrote:turbo super pretty much knew exactly what I meant.

I just want a really really bright and short flashlight. heat isntt important. I just want to make a fairly directional, very bright flash.

Then it was a lucky guess because you weren't clear on what exactly you really wanted.

What real world use did you have in mind for a short burst, directional, very bright light "flash gun".

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:52 am

It was more than luck. I used to have an old computer game called "Dr. Brain", where one of the weapons you had was a "flash gun" that blinded the bad guy. It was pretty cool, and kind of stuck with me :D

The one in the video game had a parabolic reflector...that could probably work, but your range will be limited to at or around the focal point. May be easier to find then quality lenses, though.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: iemand » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:49 am

You can buy cheap ass lenses here.
(great shop with no shipping costs) :D

iemand
Corporal
Corporal

Previous

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion