Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 46 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Air Motor

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Air Motor

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:46 pm

Video shows everything......

I think i might end up using this system for some kind of automatic gun.... :-D

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:49 pm

that video is in complete in my opinion. it certainly is interesting, but a little more information is in order i think.

other wise congratulations.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:55 pm

what info do you desire?

its at a pressure of about 18-20 PSI (high flow)

the air cylinder is 1/2 inch bore, about 8 inch stroke

switching is done by a 12V power supply, an electronic solenoid valve, and 2 electronic switches.

cyclic rate is around 8-10 in/out's per second, and rate increases with flow.......

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:27 pm

i havent built one...yet.

i just couldnt tell if it was a rotary motor or a traditional motor with a piston. i dont understand what the solenoid valve is for. the ones i have seen are purely mechanical and operate by pushing up a one way valve on the way up, which lets a burst of air in, which forces the piston back down.

where did you get the design/idea from?

what is it used for? is it just for fun, or do you play to power something with it? air motors have potential, especially with rising gas prices...

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:42 am

Unless you use a good heavy flywheel that long of a stroke is going to defeat the usage. For power and speed you need a big bore and short stroke. No load is the only reason it's running now.

Hook something to the crankshaft and try to power something, then you will see a huge difference in performance.

Very cool though. Are you using a oil less compressor pump for the build?

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Re: Air Motor

Unread postAuthor: spudkilla » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:04 am

Nice, I used to have a vex kit.

Why do I try to make a relevant post?
spudkilla
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks for the questions.

the electronic solenoid is all that i had on hand, and it happened to turn into my air "swtich". if i ever actually construct an air motor i will be using a mechanical switch.

BTW, all the thing does is make a rod move back and forth really fast....... but its a start. Im thinking i want to make it spin something, but i more want to adapt it to making an automatic airgun of somesort. If i take off the rear swtich, the cylinder remains in the backward position. if i hit the switch briefly, the cylinder moves to the outward position and then returns to the "in" position....

sorry about the crappy video, i didnt realize it was THAT bad...... im kinda pissed i took it apart now, because it seems like i only just tapped into its potential.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion