Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 41 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Vista and TI-84?

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Vista and TI-84?

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:09 am

I am trying to install the new ballistics program to my calculator, and for some reason Vista cant find the ti-84 drivers.... anyone know where i can get some?

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:14 pm

We all know you should not be using vista if you have to install drivers.
The possibility is high that your drivers simply do not exist.

Use XP. :wink:

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:00 pm

ya, you really should upgrade your system to XP, I mean its been out for ages, and its really hard to work on an outdated system, nothing works well on it (or at all in some cases.)

In seriousness though, You either shouldn't need drivers, or the calculator should have come with a CD with the drivers on it, or a quick search of the internet should result in what you need.

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:01 pm

http://education.ti.com/educationportal ... tml?bid=11

Says it supports Vista. Can't confirm this. I'd assume a big name like TI would have some kind of Vista support at this point.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:42 pm

hmm works fine with vista 64bit... but chances are you have 32bit vista...

32bit vista sucks ass with driver support, sucks with memory allocation, and has security holes. takes about 768mb-1gb to run effectively.

64bit vista- I have not run into one problem with driver support, only takes around 512mb- 768mb to run effectively, uses the memory more effective and still has some minor security holes.

32bit XP- Good driver support, only takes 384-512mb to run effectively, horrible memory allocation, a lot of security holes because its been around for awhile.

Personally I wouldn't touch 32bit vista with a 10 foot pole.. 32bit XP is alright because it doesnt take as much memory to run, but lacks memory allocation for video editing, CAD work and certain games.(3.2gb limit). Vista 64bit was actually built differently than the 32bit version. This is the first thing Microsoft has done right in a long time. It's a lot easier to write drivers for, it allocates massive amounts of memory, uses the memory more effectively. As any Microsoft product it has security holes.

32bit Vista takes about a gig to run effectively.
64bit Vista takes about 512-768mb to run effectively
32bit XP takes about 384--512mb to run effectively

Now all of this is of course dependent on your processor, motherboard and other components. A 64bit processor is gonna handle a 64bit OS more effectively.

I would contact TI directly about the question.

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:05 pm

I just bought a new Dell laptop with 64 bit Vista. I was a little leary at first but I am amazed at the compatibility level. I've found only a handful of programs that won't run but they are the home brewish utility type programs. I've found equivalent replacements for everything except Peer Guardian. Even HGDT runs great.

I've got IT customers running Vista 32 bit just fine. Yeah, some things are different but the excuses are getting fewer and lamer for not moving to Vista. I don't recommend upgrading existing equipment from XP...XP is very solid over all and will be for some time to come. However, if you are buying new hardware, you should bite the bullet and just do Vista....64 bit if you're a little more adventuresome. XP support is not going to last forever....just like win 3.1, win95, winNT, win98, winME, win2000 didn't.

When WinNT, Win95, Win2000, and WinXP came out in their respective timeframes, there were similar howls of disapproval and angst. This too will pass.... 8)

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:39 pm

starman wrote:I just bought a new Dell laptop with 64 bit Vista. I was a little leary at first but I am amazed at the compatibility level. I've found only a handful of programs that won't run but they are the home brewish utility type programs. I've found equivalent replacements for everything except Peer Guardian. Even HGDT runs great.

I've got IT customers running Vista 32 bit just fine. Yeah, some things are different but the excuses are getting fewer and lamer for not moving to Vista. I don't recommend upgrading existing equipment from XP...XP is very solid over all and will be for some time to come. However, if you are buying new hardware, you should bite the bullet and just do Vista....64 bit if you're a little more adventuresome. XP support is not going to last forever....just like win 3.1, win95, winNT, win98, winME, win2000 didn't.

When WinNT, Win95, Win2000, and WinXP came out in their respective timeframes, there were similar howls of disapproval and angst. This too will pass.... 8)

Every word the truth!

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:05 pm

I've been using 32-bit Vista for a while now, and it seems to be getting better and better in terms of stability. I used to be pretty outspoken against it, but these days I really can't find any reason to not want to use it unless you've got an older system.

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:07 pm

thanks for the Replies Guys

I actually went into the directory for TI connect, and there were a boatload of drivers.... however, when I told the comp to look there for the drivers it said there were none... meaning I think there arent drivers for the calculator yet.....

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:08 am

TurboSuper wrote:http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_ti_connect.html?bid=11

Says it supports Vista. Can't confirm this. I'd assume a big name like TI would have some kind of Vista support at this point.

Hmm didnt Nvidia(not sure) tell everyone that their drivers were all ready for vista some time ago while it turned out to work like crap?
Many manufacturers marked their hardware, drivers and support to be fully vista-compatible. In reality it turned out that most of it didnt work properly and it took 6 months before good drivers came out.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:06 pm

psycix wrote:
TurboSuper wrote:http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_ti_connect.html?bid=11

Hmm didnt Nvidia(not sure) tell everyone that their drivers were all ready for vista some time ago while it turned out to work like crap?
Many manufacturers marked their hardware, drivers and support to be fully vista-compatible. In reality it turned out that most of it didnt work properly and it took 6 months before good drivers came out.

Sure, but:

-That was a fairly long time ago. Vista has had time to mature since then. Not to mention there aren't millions of gamers biting TI's ankles off for vista support.
-There is a large difference in complexity between driving a miniature computer, and driving a simple data transfer interface.

So in all fairness, I see no reason why it shouldn't work :?

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Hey I just got an 84. No clue how to use apps though... can anyone help me install that ballistics program? I suppose it could come in handy. I'm using XP.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion