Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Large Screw Installation

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Large Screw Installation

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:23 pm

So I bought a few screws...big ones. They are #24 thread size. I am having trouble installing them. I got slotted screws instead of bolts in order to have a flush look, but the slotted screws, while they look nice, are pretty weak. They are easily stripped. To make matters worse, they size of the slot where you put the screwdriver in is very big, much bigger than what an average screwdriver set could handle. I managed to screw the screw in about 90% of the way by using the side of a thick steel ruler. However, space constrains do not allow me to use it anymore (meaning the screw has begun to sink into the piece, so I need something that fits only in the slot, not like the ruler, which stuck out on either side about 6". Do you guys have any suggestion of possible household items that I could use to push this baby in? What about places (amazon.com or mcmaster.com preferred) that I could buy a tool (not too expensive) to finish the job? I was looking briefly for big screwdrivers, but I couldn't come up with anything. If you need more information, it is McMaster part #90006A650. Thanks.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:33 pm

Try using a chisel.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:35 pm

markfh11q wrote:Try using a chisel.

Tried it...tip of the chisel is not thick enough. Plus I can't get nearly enough torque from the round handle. I found some drill bits that were 9/32" wide and meant for similarly sized screws (smaller ones unfortunately), so hopefully those will have an effect.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:45 pm

Hmm...

Could you try clamping a mill file into a T-handle tap wrench?

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: rp181 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:21 pm

try using a vise type thing and clamp the head (dont use the slot) then spin the object your putting it in. I do this all the time.

rp181
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:24 pm

rp181 wrote:try using a vise type thing and clamp the head (dont use the slot) then spin the object your putting it in. I do this all the time.

This is a flat head screw that will be flush with the surface when it is fully screwed in. A vise will help me no more than the ruler.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Clamp vise grips on your screw driver, or just find an L-shaped piece of metal. If you can heat the object up, do it.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: iisthemuffin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 pm

Get some sheet steal. Not very much. Like a 1 inch by 6 inch piece. And make a screwdriver. Here ill draw you a diagram

The one on the left is the piece you start with. You cut out the corners as i showed. And then with a metal roller or whatever you can do it with, wrap the sheet around a screwdriver and weld the seam together. Make sure the Meatal is as thick as the head on the screw.

Or you could get a 1/2 inch rounch metal rod and cut of the side on one end to form a flat head. and then weld a piece on the top to form a handle. Just some thoughts.

Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (5.17 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Poop.
iisthemuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:51 pm

what size are we talking? would a coin work? How about the end of the ruler?

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:57 pm

The screws in question are 4" long, have a counter sunk head on them .762" in diameter. If I read the description right, the shaft on them is nearly 3/8".

They're BIG!

Without properly pre-drilling the holes, and using a properly sized screw driver, I think you'll be needing some Tylenol before you get those in.

Try Harbour Freight if you're in the US, and Canadian Tire if your in Canada. They should have something which will work.

If that's not an option, at least pre-drill to the correct size. It'll make life easier. :)

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:10 pm

Oh, I like harbour freight! That's where I got my drill press, at a nice low $40. They also carry a mill vise for it. :)

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Once, when I was going to Harbor Freight to get a propane refill kit (for refilling 1lb cylinders from 20lb tanks) my friend who runs the Tinker's Workshop asked me to get some stuff for him while I was there. I naively agreed, before I realized what I was getting into. He didn't realize that I was biking, so asked me to get two 15lb anvils, two 2lb hammers, and two 3lb hammers. Biking home with nearly a third of my body weight in my panniers was quite a trick... If I ever took my weight off the bike, it would pop a wheelie...

But man, do I love HF! There is so much great stuff there, for so cheap (though I heard that their prices are similar to their quality.)

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion