Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Stun gun shorting out (the circuit board)

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Stun gun shorting out (the circuit board)

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:03 pm

Well i hate to be posting topic after topic but this deals with something else besides the switch.

Basically, as the title says, the circuit board is shorting out. I have desoldered, and soldered the area that shorting, but it seems to be a problem with the circuit board. The little wire is not soldered in the circuit board.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bMF3MPE5FE[/youtube]

Last edited by LikimysCrotchus5 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: i-will » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:16 pm

i didn't say this before but why r u bothering with a taser circuit. that's kinda overdoing it for a cannon. there r cheap automatic grill igniters that put out about 5-10 sparks a second. they r powered by a aaa battery that also doubles as the switch. and if u still want to use ur LED switch it wouldn't take much thought, time, or effort to add it.

WHY PAY FOR IT WHEN U CAN MAKE IT?
i-will
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:27 pm

Isn't it supposed to jump a gap? I remember on the circuit I had, the spark jumped a gap on the circuit board but still produces a spark at the wires (or electrodes).

I can't be certain, but i'm pretty sure it always jumps a gap on the circuit board.

I'm not really much help in this field, just offering what I have.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:32 pm

Depends how you define "shorting out".

If you see a small arc on the board, then as MrCrowley pointed out, it's just a feature of the taser that prevents damage to the board when there is nothing to electrocute.

If your battery is overheating and the circuit is doing nothing...well, then you've got some problems :P

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Yes MrCrowley, there is a cross built onto the board with a gap between the upper bar and lower bar.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:32 pm

VIDEO!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bMF3MPE5FE[/youtube]

Ignore the music, and my dog. (Its ukrainian folk music if your wondering).

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:47 pm

i-will wrote:i didn't say this before but why r u bothering with a taser circuit. that's kinda overdoing it for a cannon. there r cheap automatic grill igniters that put out about 5-10 sparks a second. they r powered by a aaa battery that also doubles as the switch. and if u still want to use ur LED switch it wouldn't take much thought, time, or effort to add it.

Stun guns can be had as low as $10...BBQ ignitors aren't any cheaper than that. Stun guns are far superior for serious projects. Those 5 -10 spark per second grill ignitors are nothing more than glorified stun guns....basically the same circuit.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: i-will » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:02 pm

true. i just always thought that the igniter was easier to come by. i used to get them free from work and always saw them at every store for about $2. i guess it's a Dallas thing. everyone knows that texans like to grill. :lol:

WHY PAY FOR IT WHEN U CAN MAKE IT?
i-will
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:04 pm

A couple things about stunguns;

1. There must always be a functioning spark gap. Without a gap the board will fry itself pretty quick because it'll arc somewhere it isn't supposed to. That what I suspect the video is showing. BTW, don't run one of these stunguns for as long as in the video, they weren't designed for it!

2. There is an internal spark gap on the circuit board itself. It usually looks like two pieces of sheet metal in an X pattern with a small gap between the two. That gap is part of the low to high voltage step-up circuit. That gap should spark. (Look at the photos in the spudwiki).

3. Try hooking up a proper spark gap to the stungun's output and see if that stops the shorting on the board.

4. Cheapo stunguns usually have a limited lifetime. The spark is pretty to look at but if you keep running it it'll crap out pretty quick. In my experience the total operating lifetime of these stunguns is only a couple minutes. If you run'm continously for more than a few seconds out of a couple minutes they literally fry themselves.

5. RTV silicone (basically good exterior caulk) is a pretty good insulator. If the board still sparks when it has a proper external gap you can try putting a big glob of caulk on the area that is sparking. Let the caulk cure for at least a day or two before using the circuit.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion