Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 79 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Maker Faire 2008

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Maker Faire 2008

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:03 pm

As a member of the Capitol BEST Robotics team, Pflugerville High Engineering and Robotics (PHEAR), I got to go to the Maker Faire at the Travis county Expo Center. It was freakin sweet. I saw tons of techie things, including general robotics stuff, a booth dedicated to Microsoft .NET Farmework, CNC machines, and then a giant section dedicated to various arts and craps that nobody gives a rats hind end about. (Just kidding!)

There was also, however, a pneumatic cannon near an antenna display (basic inline) and my heart sunk when I saw DWV bell reducers. That made me kind of sad. There needs to be a SpudFiles booth next year.

Video I put together. Note, there are only three things I taped. Did you notice I got a new camera? :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycw14aWdzS0[/youtube]

Attachments
PA180001.JPG
The robot of our rival team, LASA.
PA180002.JPG
I lol'd when I saw this.
PA180003.JPG
PA180004.JPG
You're telling me NASA spent half their budget developing a CARNIVAL RIDE?!
PA180013.JPG
Our robot. YOU WILL TELL NOBODY WHAT YOU SAW HERE. ¬_¬
PA180005.JPG
LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING
PA180007.JPG
Just... wow.
PA180010.JPG
And to think it was so cool before I saw these....
PA180011.JPG
BEST 2008 Game Field, built to specification, thanks to the folks at Capitol BEST.
PA180012.JPG
Game Field, another angle.
Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:14 pm

I was at the California 08 Maker Fair (and the 07, but thats another story,) and I saw some pretty impressive crap I must say. The local Welding/blacksmithing/glassblowing/random-fire-arts-place called the Crucible, had a steel oxy/propane golf ball cannon, as well as all sorts of fun fire shooters and the likes. Coolest of all however, was the gigantic Tesla coils, used to cook a rack of hotdogs... I have a video of that somewhere. I was so scared that it would fry my camera at any instant! My friend who was there with the Albany County Computer Recycling Center (and their 8" tall human skull made from old computer pieces) said that the WiFi network went down for the first five minutes of every hour, when they were giving the Tesla coil demos. FUN!!

If we have enough California or nearby members, I will totally try to organize a SpudFiles booth next year. Any takers?

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:32 am

Great opportunity there! A couple of questions.

The guy shooting the smoke rings...what was the the process he was using to do the shooting? I understand the fog machine smoke producing part.

Also, the fire spitting robots at the end. Do you have some more "whys and wherefores"?

The giant spudgun toting people lift robot was a hoot. DWV aside, they actually did a pretty decent job on them. It would have been nice to get a video of them shooting.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: iemand » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:48 am

starman wrote:Great opportunity there! A couple of questions.

The guy shooting the smoke rings...what was the the process he was using to do the shooting? I understand the fog machine smoke producing part.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_Make_Vortex_Cannons/
1 question answered.

Proud member of the Dutch Spud Clan.
iemand
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:11 am

I tried to get a video of them shooting, but I was never there in time. :x They were simply sprinkler valve over-unders. But, they did load about 4-5 ping pong balls in each barrel, and the damn thing would blast air raid sirens and heavy metal while it was going off! On a side note, the right shoulder cannon's barrel was a bit skewed off to the right.

Those same guys also had a homemade inkjet printer that printed 9 lines onto the ping pong balls! I got the guy interested in SpudFiles, and he gave me a card (as well as a few balls!).

Visit them at www.therobotgroup.org as soon as you can. They seem to be a mainly Austin-based group. That might be good or bad, depending on the level of cooperation we get with them. Who knows, they might end up being the guys to build the first prototypes of the ACS-1 to put on a new giant robot thing! But as far as I can tell, we are currently the most advanced air cannon group with any presence in Austin Texas.

And those fire spitting things weren't robots; they were pieces of metal artwork hooked up to blowers and a control panel, and there were so many propane tanks that I couldn't count them all. The big tall kind, too. They also used some kind of magic power. And the big white thing in the beginning is a giant fake snake carcass with a bike in the head, connected to a bunch of pedals and seats going down the rest of the thing. I tell ya, there was a lot of crazy stuff there.

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion