Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 74 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Green Steam Engine

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:29 am

He COULD tell you, but then....ahh you know. :wink:

Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: starman » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:07 am

Gippeto wrote:He COULD tell you, but then....ahh you know. :wink:

Right....but he would have to find me first... :wink:

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: daxspudder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:36 pm

im a Fire control Technician, so i work with torpedoes and tomahawks on submarines, look up SSGN on wikipedia if you want to see my work platform... Im on the michigan...

I really cant tell you anymore than that, im sure you all should understand...

"<I>For dare to be peace, I have to keep at it everyday, da Man doesn't take days off so neither can I</I>" -<B>Bob Marley</B>, day before a performance, a day after being shot in the chest. "<I>If you are the big, big tree, we are the small axe, ready to cut you down!</I>" -Bob again :brave:
daxspudder
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:04 pm

My dad actually worked on the Mk 48, I was pretty impressed when he told me. He didn't tell em about the steam engines. He was also an accountant for the Shuttle program, but that came up during a discussion of advanced knife manufacturing processes involving putting two different forms of steel together. (NOT electroplating or blast welding)

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 am

SEAKING9006 wrote:... advanced knife manufacturing processes involving putting two different forms of steel together. (NOT electroplating or blast welding)

The Japanese have been doing that for a couple thousand years. Samuri swords are made from two seperate pieces of steel. A hard, but somehwat brittle wedge for the the sword's edge, and a more pliable (less brittle) and more massive main piece. The resulting blades are generally considered to be the finest edged weapons ever made.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:23 am

daxspudder wrote:im a Fire control Technician, so i work with torpedoes and tomahawks on submarines, look up SSGN on wikipedia if you want to see my work platform... Im on the michigan...

Sounds to me like one of more fun jobs on the ship!!.. :wink:

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: daxspudder » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:33 pm

starman wrote:
daxspudder wrote:im a Fire control Technician, so i work with torpedoes and tomahawks on submarines, look up SSGN on wikipedia if you want to see my work platform... Im on the michigan...

Sounds to me like one of more fun jobs on the ship!!.. :wink:

the most fun, not to mention the ship goes to sea just for my job...

@seeking, they dont use steam engines in torpedoes, just the same basic design as the engines shown

"<I>For dare to be peace, I have to keep at it everyday, da Man doesn't take days off so neither can I</I>" -<B>Bob Marley</B>, day before a performance, a day after being shot in the chest. "<I>If you are the big, big tree, we are the small axe, ready to cut you down!</I>" -Bob again :brave:
daxspudder
Captain
Captain

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:36 pm

That engine design is flawed.

a proper steam engine is double acting, that was only single, efficiency just went out the window.

and it doesn't have a condenser to reuse the water, more efficiency loss.
EDIT: reading farther, it actually does have a condenser, I stand corrected.

never mind the ridiculously short stroke on the piston, and the overly complex motion used, there's no way either of that helps efficiency.

as interesting as it is, it's worthless as anything more than a conversation piece. :roll:

on the other hand it is fun to watch. :D

EDIT:
now I want to build a Steam engine... :(

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:36 am

jimmy101 wrote:
SEAKING9006 wrote:... advanced knife manufacturing processes involving putting two different forms of steel together. (NOT electroplating or blast welding)

The Japanese have been doing that for a couple thousand years. Samuri swords are made from two seperate pieces of steel. A hard, but somehwat brittle wedge for the the sword's edge, and a more pliable (less brittle) and more massive main piece. The resulting blades are generally considered to be the finest edged weapons ever made.

Again, NOT an existing method (at the time). They developed a method of differing materials specifically for the retro thruster nozzles. It turned out to be just peachy for making knifes, to.

@ Judgement: Actually, if you think about it, it is very similar to a regular piston system, and actually isn't all that complex. You know how the piston sleeve in a regular piston engine is stationary? That requires the piston shaft to have a pivot in it. In this steam engine, the whole thing pivots instead. I did this once using legos by making a primitive air engine with just bricks. The entire piston assembly tipped back and forth, and it was nowhere near efficient. Then again, I had made pistons out of 2X2 bricks. If I had used Lego pneumatic pieces, then you could get some efficiency.

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: daxspudder » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:31 am

@judgement, the engine design is extremely efficient, but only with several cylinders, at least more than two, allowing for "exhausting" when the opposite(or the second cylinder away fires...6cyl) due to the motion of the swash plate, it allows for perpetual motion of an angular spacer, look into it more and youll see how well it works

daxspudder
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:30 am

judgment_arms wrote:a proper steam engine is double acting, that was only single, efficiency just went out the window.

That won't effect efficiency - in any case, you need to supply steam to the other half of a double acting cylinder.

It will affect power to size ratio, but that's not efficiency.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Previous

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion