Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Paintball mine

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Paintball mine

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:59 pm

Good day ladies and gents, been a while since I've been around. Well I'll get right to the point.

I'm looking to build some paintball mines for D-Day next year, and any other games I might play that allow them. What I really need at the moment is y'alls suggestions for trip wire. I'll have some plans drawn up within a week or two for you to look at, but for right now all I can say for sure is that I'm looking at a system fueled by a 12-gram, but triggered with a burst disk.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:18 am

When you say suggestions for tripwire, do you mean a tripwire material, or how to use it as a trigger?

Also with regards the mine itself, what sort of effect are you aiming for? Directional (like a Claymore) or just an all purpose multi directional mine?
And are you looking to fire paintballs or just the paint?

EDIT: Spielung fial.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:22 am

You could have the valve piloted by a pop-off valve which connects to tripwire.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:31 am

You could add a co2 inflator to one of my BDC shells.. then do a slipknot around the trigger... that way when you trip the wire it tightens on the trigger and fires the shell.. one problem though is the waste of co2.

The other thing you could do is a sprinkler valve cannon... have it set up electrically and have a switch.. once the wire gets pulled the cannon goes off..

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Xxplosive42o » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:42 am

Take a look. You could construct a device like this with a spring loaded bolt in the straight section of the Y. The spring is compressed down and held in place with a pin attached to a wire. The paintballs are separated in the other section of the Y and held back with a burst disk NOT the cleanout pictured. When the pin is pulled out, the spring uncompresses and drives a sharp screw to pop the 12 gram co2 unit and fills the pipe with air thus firing the paint out through the burst disk.

Tell me what you think!

" Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will. "
Xxplosive42o
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:25 am

I'm looking to build some paintball mines for D-Day next year,

D-day is the most epic paintball event ever. I absolutely lve it. But do you really think they'd let some random person bring in homemade devices. Not that I'm trying to doubt you or make this look stupid, but think of other people who bring in explosive paintball grenades (aka, paintballs in a bottle with an m80).
Just wondering. I hope you're allowed to bring them.

I've got a paintball landmine that I made, I'll try and find the link but I've got school now.

Last edited by SP00K on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:37 am

Can we use landmine's, or smoke grenades?

Written by MOUTH
Yes to both questions. The only restriction is on smoke grenades. If it happens to be dry (which it shouldn't be), smoke grenades will be prohibited, and even if it isn't, NO HOT SMOKE! We will announce this at the event. Both will be available from vendors or you can bring your own. NO HOMEMADE GRENADES of any kind. Only manufactured units will be allowed, we are allowing Scepter Systems.

Apparently nerf rockets got banned too because someone used wooden rockets instead.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:15 am

I found the link.

I'll post some "damage" pics too. The thread only has the blueprint for it, but the mine I built was made to the same specs.

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:50 am

Sorry guys, tried to change my email address and the account got suspended for a while. I've got confirmation from an official at D-Day that I can bring my own mines as long as I submit blueprints beforehand and let them test one on-site.

To answer the questions:

I need suggestions on tripwire material. I'm looking at a somewhat directional spray area, but I'm also looking at ways to connect 3 or 4 together to get them all to spray at once and cover an area.

I'm going to be shooting paint, not actual paintballs.

These mines are going to be able to be triggered both remotely by electronic means, and locally by tripwire.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: judgment_arms » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:17 pm

D-Day! :D

Ahh... mines...

For directional spray you want to look more towards off-rout mines.

They are also easier to set up than the in ground type.

An electronic detonation system would be ideal as it allows for many different trigger styles, including IR remote.

You could have one trigger box wired to sever different mines, or one mine wired to several different trigger boxes.

For a nozzle, something like a garden sprayer would work nicely as you can adjust the spray to distance ratio.
One like this one:

Basically build a standard sprinkler valve cannon, except use a hose nozzle for the barrel and put paint in addition to the air in the chamber.

Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
judgment_arms
Major General
Major General

Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm looking at having one trigger box to control 3 or 4 mine emplacements. I'm thinking of having a master/slave switch on each mine as well as a channel switch. That way I could set one mine as a master and run wire to, say, two or three slave mines that would fire when the master was triggered. That would ensure that they'd all fire instantaneously whether it be by remote or by tripwire.

I'd also thought of a system to use the tripwire differently. Instead of triggering the mine, sending out an alert to my control box letting me know someone's there, letting me make the decision to trigger the mine or not, and how many to trigger.

This all sounds really complicated right now, haha.

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Xxplosive42o » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:48 pm

Yea it does sound complicated, but the best of luck.

I thought my mine worked perfectly haha. I actually placed 3 of them side by side and the wires that ran from the holding pins I used very small metal wire ties and tightened until it was about to break. And BAM! Note the size of the Y-Pipe I wound up using was larger than the one I had pictured, and you can modify it to put raw paint instead of paintballs in the bent section of the Y-Pipe. But the overall design worked very well for a simple mechanical mine. But like I said good luck on the James Bond rendition of a landmine!

Cheers! Xxplosive42o 8)

" Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will. "
Xxplosive42o
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: FishBoy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:48 pm

For trip wire material, go to wal-mart and look for braided fishing line, the kind that isn't monofilament. Get it in 10 or 12lb test and I'm pretyy sure most of it is a kinda dark green color, I have a lot that I use specifically for this purpose and it's practically invisible.

"You polish a turd, it's still a turd"

Remember DYI!!!
FishBoy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:58 pm

Dark green would be good. Most of D-day is in wooded areas.

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: FishBoy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:25 pm

Ya, but even against brick, dirt, even cement, it's pretty much invisible. Also it's thin and pretty cheap if I remember correctly. (Remember, braided line, NOT monofilament, which shines in the sun)

"You polish a turd, it's still a turd"

Remember DYI!!!
FishBoy
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion