Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 51 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Resin problems

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Resin problems

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:59 pm

I just got my self a pint of casting resing, After gettign the mold ready and having all the volume figured out and being really anxious to start i noticed the following:

firstly the lid was very firm on the container i barely opened it and there was a ring of rubbery plastic around the bottom of the lid. The resin its self was very firm and there where big bits of hard white crystals in it. It was in my car for a while but i doubt it cooled down so fast(in maybe 10mins?). I closed it and now i put it into my pool room (temp of 30°C) I hope it will become a liquid again, what else should or could I do? The pacage says it will change state at as little as 16°C so i guess it maybe just "frozen" but i am unsure.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:25 pm

It's normal to get a bit of it stuck to the lid and it sets up. When you get it liquid state again it will need stired. All these type things settle, oil to the top, solid to the bottem. Stir it untill it's creamy.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Thank god, i was afraid it was a bad batch or something. Just out of interest: how can it "harden" when it doesnt have any hardener in it?

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: nibbler125 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:36 pm

i have been meaning to make a stock for my spudgun for a whyle before i was just going use a jigsaw to cut out some plywood but the stuff you are using may sound like a better option. tell me how it works out

nibbler125
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:48 pm

wow, mate you got somethign very wrong here!!! The resin i am using now is very expensive and only used in small repairs. The way i am making my stock is that i will use a resing and fiber glass, maybe you heard of paper mache, you use glue and water rub it on news paper put it on somewhere and let it dry. What i am doing now is making a piston like structure for a hammer valve trigger. Woad stocks are also good though and i did alot of practise ont hem but then realized that i suck at woad working. I will make a how to on making fiber glass stocks if it works out but there is a big difference between that and what i am doing now(which i will also explain because i am the first to do it this way). What i suggest you do is buy a stock(20$ of ebay?) and just attach it to your gun, easyest and cheepest way. But if you want to try the fiber glass thing please go for it Just wear a respirator and read the thread i made it will help you out.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:35 pm

How much does casting resin cost usually?

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Xxplosive42o » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:01 pm

John, could you post a pic of your mold and explain how you built it? I am interested in the outcome of your project greatly. It might inspire me to create some parts as well, depending on how nice your's turns out. 8)

Cheers!

" Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will. "
Xxplosive42o
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:13 pm

ok ill do this in metric:

i got a bottle of 250ml for 17.50chf that is with 7.2% tax. You do the math. I will but giv eme another month i am going to Ny and DC fro my X-mas holidays.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion