Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 60 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

QB78/79 also known as the SX78/79

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
QB78/79 also known as the SX78/79

Unread postAuthor: Dave_424 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 am

Hey, I am interested in buying this air gun just as a cheap garden plinker. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I would buy a bulk fill adapter and use a co2 remote coil to get more shots and it is MUCH cheaper than the 12g powerlets

also, could I fill the gun to around 600psi? what amount of performance decreace should I expect (I think that it will be terribly poor)

Dave

Dave_424
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jor2daje » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:00 am

I have a spring rifle, a c02 pistol, and a diasy plinker. My favorite by far is the daisy, its pretty weak but it hold 400 rounds and doesn't require any c02. But if you want a more power I would go for a springer, they are slower but very powerful. I would recommend against a c02, even with a bulk adapter I never use my co2 pistol. Even with the large tank you still need to fill it up, and it always seems to run out at just the wrong time.

jor2daje
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:14 am

I have to admit, I have no personal experience with the QB78 or 79, so what I have heard is just through reading other people's opinions. However, I'm reasoning that's better than nothing.

I have not heard of anyone that bought one as a plinker and was disappointed. (However, buy it for hunting, and you will be, they're only about 6 ft-lbs) In fact, I get the opinion that most people are entirely happy with them.

Could I fill the gun to around 600psi? what amount of performance decrease should I expect?

Now this is just a guestimate based on my experience with pneumatics - and because I don't know about the valve system involved, it's not guaranteed to be right - but expect to lose about 1 ft-lb, possibly slightly more. How much you lose will be dependent on temperature.

It should be noted that on the upside your rifle will gain consistency from being regulated as such.

Actually, all of this reminds me of some musings of mine a while back I had about buying a cheap CO2 plinker (possibly a Nightstalker) and trying to tune it up to make a decent rifle out of it.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Ragnarok wrote:I have to admit, I have no personal experience with the QB78 or 79, so what I have heard is just through reading other people's opinions. However, I'm reasoning that's better than nothing.

I have not heard of anyone that bought one as a plinker and was disappointed. (However, buy it for hunting, and you will be, they're only about 6 ft-lbs) In fact, I get the opinion that most people are entirely happy with them.

Could I fill the gun to around 600psi? what amount of performance decrease should I expect?

Now this is just a guestimate based on my experience with pneumatics - and because I don't know about the valve system involved, it's not guaranteed to be right - but expect to lose about 1 ft-lb, possibly slightly more. How much you lose will be dependent on temperature.

It should be noted that on the upside your rifle will gain consistency from being regulated as such.

Actually, all of this reminds me of some musings of mine a while back I had about buying a cheap CO2 plinker (possibly a Nightstalker) and trying to tune it up to make a decent rifle out of it.
I had the Crossman Nightstalker for a while and it shot great, my only complaints were the tendency of the mags to jam in the gun and the near impossibility it was to remove them.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Dave_424 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I have read MANY times that people are getting 10 ft/lbs from the box

This can be easily made up to the legal limit (Or even more in some cases) just by dismantaling, de-burring all of the machining that looks like it has been done with someones finger nail :P and polishing the cylinder and other parts

there are higher flow valves, kits to run it at PCP pressures and other mods that are good for people to tinker with. :)

I have found out that I can get big bottles of co2 (About 3 foot high) for £10.... yes ten pounds!! so with the bulk fill adapter, a remote line, a sodastream bottle (£14, much cheaper than a paintball co2 bottle) and a filling station and I'm all set

Dave

Dave_424
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Dave_424 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, I have read MANY times that people are getting 10 ft/lbs from the box.

The stores I know of that sell them report them as "around 6 ft-lbs" - although I guess the potential depends on the calibre.

I can't be certain, but I have to express my doubts you'll get 10 ft-lbs from it straight from the box.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Dave_424 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:45 pm

just a quick question what would I get more shots from .177 or .22? I thought the .22 but wasn't 100%

Dave_424
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:01 pm

For the same muzzle energy, .22 has a better shot count.
Equally though, .22 pellets cost around twice as much, if not more, so if money is a consideration, remember that as well.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Dave_424 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:02 pm

yeah, .22 it is then, I have always used it for a hunting calibre

Dave_424
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion