Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

We have no reference!!!

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:46 am

We are but a tiny spec lodged in a giants nostril waiting to be sneezed out only to parish in said giants handkerchief!

You guys have watched MIB one to many times! :roll:

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:53 am

Look Jrrdw, of coars ethe theory sounds wierd but why should we be the only universe, it started of by us being the only planet: proven wrong, then the only solar system: proven wrong, the onyl living beings: still being proved wrong, what i want to say is that it is not all that unlikely that we are the only universe, and because size is relative why shouldnt we be part of the universe, the way our planets and our solar system are built up is really similar to an atom, why souldnt an atom be a solar system then?

The theory sounds dumb and mos tprobably is wrong but hey, why not give it a little chance?

I am starting to enjoy this!

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:59 am

I think what jrrdw is suggesting is the majority of this discussion is pointless since it's currently impossible to prove (aka you're wasting your time).

Do you think most of us haven't thought of such theories already?

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:07 am

I just wish my Flux Capacitor would hurry up and get here, I bought it tomorow and ebay said it would be here yesterday...

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:13 am

Look for the first even if we had the means to prove it, i doubt most members on spudfiles would have the required things to do so, and this is educational because every member who has some self respect will look up most of what is mentioned here before commenting and because this is a provocing topic many will want to comment. And last but not least discussing this kind of things is simply fun, did you know that a dollar bill could supply the same amount of energy as an A-bomb?

P.s. E=mc(squared) calculated the amount of energy which can be made form a substance but what calculated the conditions and energy needed to convert the matter into energy?

EDIT: No need to act stupid jeepkahn, if i ignore the flux capacitor part you made a very vague attempt to talk about the string theory, click on the link in my sig to get a little explaination really simple to :wink:

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:22 am

I just think you guys should be thinking about whats in front of you right hear on earth, in the only proven occupied universe known to the only proven beings with universal communication skills being practiced as I currently type this out.

@_Fnord, and bingo was it's name-o!

@jeepkahn, HAHAAHAHAA! Wish I'd thought of that.

jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:34 am

Ok but that is exactly what we are doing:

I for my part am intrested in energy and the getting there of. I am extremly intrested in conveing matter into energy, something that could reduce green house gas emmision to 0. I think that is focused on the here on earth.

Others are thinking of space and time travel, imagin we could of predicted WWII, we could of gone back killed Hitler while he was in school and prevent the killing of millions of innocent people. Also we could study other beings and adapt their ideas to our planet, isnt that helping earth?

And last but not least: Scintist have to be curious and to supply this curiosity with answers we need seemingly pointless discussions. And who knows maybe in 100years people will be teleporting across the dimensions,convertin energy to matter and vice versa and so on and so on. I want to give you the following quotes in order to finish this post:

1."Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
2."This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." --Western Union internal memo, 1876.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:53 am

True, but. Those things didn't come along in their life time. Might have been dreamt about but didn't happen then. It takes today's inventors to make the here and now so the dreams of tomorrow can happen in the future. I've all ways heard that science follows the movies, partly true.

I'm not trying to shoot down your theories, just trying to get you guys to realize that you have to take care of today so that your grand children can do what they are going to do tomorrow.

Bring your talents back down to earth and fix today so there is a tomorrow.

Understand?

jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:09 am

J_B... You're confusing stupidity with levity... And it was relevant levity as well... Sometimes the path to getting people to think is through a parabelic arc instead of a straight line... and yes I misspelled that intentionally...

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:18 am

john bunsenburner wrote:Others are thinking of space and time travel, imagin we could of predicted WWII, we could of gone back killed Hitler while he was in school and prevent the killing of millions of innocent people.

You've never played Command and Conquer: Red Alert, have you?

:D

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:39 am

sorry for the disappointment but i have never played any vidio games, watched sci fi movies or played a pc version equivalent to the movies and games. I am mad by my self no need for games to help me out. Of coarse i am fixed on the today, i have a vegtable oil furnace and generator and am doing load of average stuff but the far away future intrests me, and many things could of been prevented of people would of just looked a few years ahead... Call be mad but i need this theoretical mumbojumbo to come up with every day things i need not inspiration but a goal and this goal is some where between the chaos and the string theory, some nuclear fussion and fission mixed in and then lots and lots of energy and i am happy. I wont go and build an aluminium foil rocket now inorder to discover another race in the universe but let me dream a bit and who knows, maybe one day hese dreams will coem true, seeing as time is relative i cannot say when but its something i look forward to, and agreeign to what einstein said"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." maybe we will have to hurry up or else there will be no opertunity to do all these things. Another thing is that to fix today i would have to wip dicipline and respect into 6.5billion people, but when thinkign forwards i hope to end these horrible wars atleast for the moment in imagination. Man is evil, no way of fixing him... What ever i might invent or coem up with it will soem way or another lead to the hurting of innocent, if i imagin something i forget about all these things...

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:59 am

Shhhhhhh, John do you hear that? It's reality calling, John come back! Or should we start calling you "Adolphe II".

jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:16 pm

As i said, some play on their psp, some smoke, some take other drugs or get drunk. What i do once every few months is a discussion like this, better than taking drugs dont you think? As i said i am realistic, i enjoy working on real world things but once every so often i jsut need this little break and there are two ways to get that for me.

Either i do somehtign by my self for hours on end, there are two possibilities for this, walkign my dog atleast 1km form civilization for atleast 5-8hours or scuba diving. As it was pouring rain today and scuba diving in 4°C water is no fun there was my second option:

Having a discussion which involves high levels of physics, math and maybe chemistry that has nothign to do with the world as it is today.

So please let me have a little fun here! and keep makign argument i love to hear what you guys have to say! :D

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Well, here's the reason I mentioned that game:

The game's basic premise is that Albert Einstein builds a time machine to go back in time and kill Hitler. However, it turns out that without the Nazi threat, the Soviets have taken over most of Europe and are now engaged in serious conflict with the Western world.

It's sci-fi, sure, but you see my point, right?

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:37 pm

Yes, but the game doesnt take a MAJOR factor the war had into consideration, to be politically correct i will not mention it but the finacially aware ones unde rus will know what i am talkign about.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion