Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], DENVER73, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Can I use potato cannon to launch a [water] bottle rocket?

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:28 am

How about this. Construct a water rocket that has a valve at the nose that it can be pressurized through. Then have a rupture disk blocking off the nozzle. Then design somthing that can go in behind it into the gun. Essentially what will happen is the shock from firing the bottle (like any other spudgun projectile) will rupture the rupture disk, firing the rocket. This will give it a huge take-off velocity while triggering it's thrust at the last possible moment. I'll make a diagram and upload it to show what I mean.

EDIT: Did a rough diagram so you see what I'm talking about.

Basically you have a pressurized water rocket (pressurized via the valve at the top). However, nothing escapes through the hole in the lid because you have a few layers of tape or aluminium foil sandwiched between the lid and the bottle. The 'trigger' device sits just behind the rocket, with the nail just behind the nozzle and the 'piston' just behind the rocket's fins (ring fins here so they fit in the barrel)

When you fire the spudgun, the pressure will force the trigger fowards. It will impact against the nozzle of the bottle (use a short nail so it hits before it builds up much speed).

Now the rocket's rupture disk has been broken, but the dowel is pushed against the nozzle with such force that not too much water escapes. The trigger is still being pushed by the combustion gasses and so it propels itself and the rocket out of the end of the barrel. Once the rocket and trigger have left the barrel, the trigger will fall away while the rocket accelerates, spraying water out behind it.

Not sure how well it would work but it seems like a workable design.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:50 am

The rocket part with the burst disk has been done before, but the idea of using combustion as a trigger and piston/ram is good. You could use preloaded rockets like this as powered wads (is there a better word?) for firing anti tank rounds for airsoft/PB etc.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:24 am

Just be wary of the big heavy thing with a nail on the front trailing behind your rocket :lol:

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion