Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Thermal Lance

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:06 pm

Discussion of solid propellants, explosive devices or incendiary projectiles fired specifically from a spud cannon is prohibited

Seeing as he's not firing it from a cannon it isn't against the rules.

Watching that stuff is pretty cool, there's a guy on youtube that does thermite stuff I think he burned through a car. :shock:

EDIT heres the video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCsbZf1_Ng[/youtube]

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:17 pm

So I take it nobody has anything to say about the thermal lance, period? I already know about thermite, and have seen just about every video out there. I don't, however, know about thermal lances, hence my asking...

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Well, I'm finding it hard to know what to say. I know stuff about thermal lances, but because I can't think of how it can be put to use with relation to spudding, I can't create any post that's going to be of use.

Perhaps it would be better if YOU led with how you think it can be related to hybrid spudding - or if you can't, contact a mod and get it moved to NSGRD, and then you might get more useful answers.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:01 pm

Lentamentalisk wrote:So I take it nobody has anything to say about the thermal lance, period? I already know about thermite, and have seen just about every video out there. I don't, however, know about thermal lances, hence my asking...

Iron pipe, small oxygen bore, ignited. What use is it to spudding?

Wikipedia is your friend if you want to know they are not thermite. The oxidizer is oxygen, not burning aluminum like thermite with iron oxide as the oxidizer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_lance

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:34 pm

as I said,
Lentamentalisk wrote:Alright, I know its not exactly a hybrid, but where else would I post this?

I don't have any possible uses for a hybrid, I just thought that this kinda falls under the hybrid category, though granted its not a cannon in any way or anything. I will try to get a mod to move it.

@Tech: Yes, I know about wikipedia, as I said in my first post:
Lentamentalisk wrote:Well to quote wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_lance)...

Wikipedia is great for factual information, but it has nothing about actually building one, and the parameters one would use.

I was able to find some patents on it, though none with pretty pictures or diagrams or anything like that.

Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:47 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:(especially because thermite is LEGAL in the US)

So is black powder, smokeless powders (like gun cotton), ....

If you are 18 you can walk into any gun store and buy several pounds of gunpowder without any problem.

EDIT: In the US you can. Don't know about the laws in other countries.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:30 pm

@ everybody, particularly John (because he ask) if you know a subject matter is so boarder line with the rules, it's best to not post it and stay in the light.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: starman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:44 pm

Lentamentalisk wrote:So I take it nobody has anything to say about the thermal lance, period? I already know about thermite, and have seen just about every video out there. I don't, however, know about thermal lances, hence my asking...

I commented on their use in shipyards... :wink: Also in this vain, here's an oxy/bacon lance...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9dskxN10N0[/youtube]

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:18 am

That is exactly what I was referring too...
I just got the PopSci email about that article about it being online now, and was about to post that link.

I have basically decided that the project is way out of my reach for the moment, but I may come back to it later. In the meantime I have my salvaged coffee grinder, rolls of Al foil, and corroded scrap iron in my backyard to keep me in busy :twisted:

Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Previous

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion