Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 80 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Aluminium 24.70$ per Kg?

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon May 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Well ebay is definately alot cheeper, i have found sizes more useful for me and for alot less.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: USGF » Mon May 11, 2009 5:48 pm

LeMaudit wrote:Maybe try to find a machine shop with nice people, and ask them where they buy their metal? They could even give you some free or at a cheap price. Depends how nice they are :-)

Mcmaster is not cheap. However, most metal suppliers want to sell you full lengths. Those selling shorter lengths (including Mcmaster) are going to charge more. That said, full length Al 6061-T6 should be available almost anywhere in the USA for less than $3.50 lb. There are shapes that cost more due to processing but for generic bar stock, that price should be your upper limit.

USGF
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: LeMaudit » Mon May 11, 2009 6:20 pm

Al 6061-T6 should be available almost anywhere in the USA

I think John lives in Switzerland, so the US availability have little relevance for him :-)

And I wish I could find $3.50 lb in Canada !

LeMaudit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue May 12, 2009 9:40 am

Ok here is a far better offer!

EN 10025 steel: 2.20CHF per kg
Al: 17per KG

cutting price is 2 somethign for alli and 10 for steel, so all i need to find is some machine to cut the rods, but that should be doable, any advice?

Thanks!

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LeMaudit » Tue May 12, 2009 9:53 am

Because I am lazy, I use power tools to cut rods :-) But a metal hand saw is as good ;-)

A trick: for aluminium or brass only (no hard metal like iron / steel!), if you don't have a metal cut-off power tool, you can use a wood band-saw but ONLY if there is a variable speed. You can cut soft metal with a wood blade at the lowest speed, and going very slowly.

Edit: if you buy locally, usually the places where the metal is sold have cut-off power tools.

LeMaudit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue May 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Is there just simple metal rod cutting tools?

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LeMaudit » Tue May 12, 2009 1:10 pm

LeMaudit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue May 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Hmm, i persume I just use a miter box and a hand saw to make strait cuts, how hard will it be to cut steel?

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LeMaudit » Tue May 12, 2009 1:19 pm

Not hard, long... for a 3 cm bar... I dunno, 20 minutes maybe? Depends a lot on you, and the hardness of the metal bar. Cast Iron would be easy... stainless would be almost impossible :-)

But if you want it, you sure can do it. Just buy a very good bimetal blade for the hand saw if you want to save your energy. And go slowly, but steadily. Forcing will at best be very tiring, at worse will break the blade. A bit of lubricant would also help, at least a bit of wax on the blade.

But I'm sure others will have better advices, I always use power tools, I just love them.

LeMaudit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue May 12, 2009 1:21 pm

hmm, ok then, maybe ill just stick to the aluminium, its more expensive BUT easyer to cut.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Tue May 12, 2009 1:51 pm

If you're going to cut aluminum with a handsaw, keep the blade wet with something like WD-40. Bi metal blades are good advice.

The carrier in WD-40 will absorb the heat generated by evaporating, and leave the lubricating element behind. This will prevent the aluminum from sticking to and gumming up your blade.(It IS messy though. :) )

Without it, the blade will be next to useless in minutes.

WD-40 also makes a great cutting fluid for aluminum when turning on the lathe.

If you can't get WD-40, then use cutting fluid. (cutting fluid is more $ than WD-40 though)

I use cutting fluid for steel and stainless only.

That's my .02. :wink:

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue May 12, 2009 1:55 pm

Thank you for that, ill surely do it that way. Well I assume ill make my orders tomorrow

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LeMaudit » Tue May 12, 2009 1:59 pm

If you want a great aluminium cutting fluid for the lathe that is not messy, try Varsol (it is a paint thinner, I guess any brand can do). I use the low odour quality. A trick that was given to me by a professional machinist.

I am now thinking that it should work with a hand saw too, I never tried it though.

LeMaudit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: USGF » Tue May 12, 2009 2:25 pm

LeMaudit wrote:If you want a great aluminium cutting fluid for the lathe that is not messy, try Varsol (it is a paint thinner, I guess any brand can do). I use the low odour quality. A trick that was given to me by a professional machinist.

I am now thinking that it should work with a hand saw too, I never tried it though.

Don't use regular paint thinner. You want to use Mineral Spirits, LeMaudit has it right, get the low odor or de-odorized version. Home Depot etc. has it. Recall WD-40 and all these petroleum products are flammable. Do not grind or weld with rags soaked in this stuff lying around.

USGF
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 pm

I am only cutting and drilling so calm down. I can't wait till I get all the stuff together!

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion