Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Ham Radio

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Ham Radio

Unread postAuthor: irisher » Fri May 22, 2009 11:00 pm

I have noticed a few antenna launching cannons around the site and wondered how many people were into Ham.I'm KDOCLT

irisher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Ham Radio

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:17 pm

irisher wrote:I have noticed a few antenna launching cannons around the site and wondered how many people were into Ham.I'm KDOCLT

I grew up in a ham family. I was more interested in the tech end than the chatting so never went for a license. Been on a few bunny hunts, built DF gear etc, but refrained from TX. My brother is N7VIB, mom KA7SUG, dad.. i'd have to look it up along with 2 nephews. I have worked in broadcast in both AM, FM, and UHF television as well as maintaining a Motorola trunked radio site and paging system so I have had lots of theory and hands on. Duplexers, circulators, tuned cavities, waveguides, and phased antennas are no problem.

I grew up at the birth of the PC and took that route instead. I attend swap meets and some field days. I am planning on attending a week long field day in Eastern Oregon up the Columbia River in July. I'll be bringing an antenna launcher to the event.

My XYL can't stand the static or the time, money, etc, commitment so I haven't pursued it. I get the itch once in a while to look into 2 meter and 220 and possibly packet. Family life and foster kids have taken over.

In the Cayman Islands I hung out with ZF1DJ and had fun on the field days. Nice guy. If you ever get in touch with John, tell him hi for me.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:26 pm

My dad did HAM as a teen, he still has all his old QSL cards from around the world. During the vietnam war he says he remembered hearing a Viet Cong propaganda operator :D he doesn't have his liscense anymore, but he still has his equipment. His shortwave reciever and transmiter. He recently found his old 80 meter antenna. He used morse code and still has his old more code tapper thing.... Do you do voice or morse irisher? By the way, I thought about getting a ham liscence for a while, but never got around to it...so who knows.

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 am

Yeah my dad was a ham when he was young. I used a ham here and there in the boy scouts but never went for it myself. I always had TONS of fun using CB's with my buddies and driving around town like we had a reason.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Sat May 23, 2009 5:58 am

im confused...ham?

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:11 am

Also knwn as amateur radio.

Look here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

In years past I worked at a Heathkit Retail store in the Service departent.
I serviced all their different products.

Ham equipment like models:
HW-16
SB-101, SB-102, SB-220, SB-303

I am surpised that I remember those model numbers

dewey-1
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: irisher » Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm

At Maverick:I Mainly do voice but I have tinkered with Morse.I also am not at all surprised about hearing the Vietcong,I personally have heard Russia multiple times.

irisher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Carlman wrote:im confused...ham?

there basically like a walkie talkie that goes world wide and you can talk to anyone who has a running radio, theres more to it than that but you get the basics, there as big anymore since cell phones and push to talk, not sure how big they are in Australia either

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:45 pm

I've always been interested but have never really known how to get started- anyone got any tips?

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Larda » Sat May 23, 2009 9:46 pm

I am also into HAM, i am also more interested in the tech part than the chatting.

73 de SA3ALO

Push to test... Release to detonate.
Larda
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: irisher » Sat May 23, 2009 10:06 pm

http://www.qrz.com/xtest2.html

This a link to the practice test,if you pass this then you should have no problems on the real test.

irisher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion