Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 41 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Figuring out weaver and picatinny

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Figuring out weaver and picatinny

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Hey all- insanely stupid question here please bear with me.

How the fork do weaver and picatinny rails work? How do things mount on them? At first I just thought they slid on the end... but then I see it has something to do with the slots in it..What purpose do they serve.. how the fork do you mount stuff on them?

I just don't freaking get it.. If someone could please help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:27 pm

dewey-1
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:03 am

Usually stuff clamps on to weaver/picatinny rails in the same way they do to ordinary dovetail grooves found on most rifles. The slots are there primarily for heat dissipation but occasionally they serve to prevent forward/rear motion by engaging parts on the mounted item, it depends what you're attaching to them.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Daltonultra » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:38 am

The slots actually have nothing to do with heat, other than allowing the rail to expand and contract without warping.
Their main purpose is to provide retention for mounted items. Many accessories that clamp onto the rails have to be very securely mounted(i.e. scopes, lasers), so they have either a retaining button, or a bolt through their clamp that sits in those slots, positively locating them.
Otherwise, you get a situation like my Dad's break-barrel pellet gun. It uses a dovetail mount, very like a rail, but narrower, and without the slots. The scope that is clamped to it has a bad tendency to "walk" off the end of the dovetail after twenty or thirty shots.

The Official High-Tech Redneck

"There is no such thing as overkill." ~Solomon Short
Daltonultra
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion