Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 35 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Need some help with this

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Need some help with this

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:21 am

Now I've got some castings under my sleeve and have making molds down pat, I would like to make a casting (jewelery) for a girl. Except, this I would like to cast it for has an allergy to, yes, metal. The severity/rapidity of the allergic reaction seems to be basically identical to the reactivity series of metals, with of course some omissions of exotic metals. She has little to no reaction to copper, but it can irritate her skin. Moderately pure mixtures of silver and gold have no effect. She was unsure but I'm going to go out on a limb and say platinum does nothing.

Money is little obstacle, though if I'm going to spend enough I may as well just have bought a commercial piece of jewelery.

Whatever I cast with be it a resin, metal or whatever should be able to be brung up or finished to a polish, which should be no problem.

Short and sweet: What's the best way to do this? Perhaps an anodizing, plating, resin coat, any ideas?

It will be a necklace most likely.

Edit: I should mention, she has a LOT of allergies. After offering her gloves so she could wind coils for a motor (don't ask?) she had a reaction to the dry talc in the glove. It would be impossible to make a list, so it could be difficult.

Edit: Time is no constraint

Edit: This is about on par with how bad and quickly the reaction occurs:
Potassium K 1
Sodium Na 1
Lithium Li 1
Calcium Ca 2
Magnesium Mg 2
Aluminium Al 3
Carbon C 4 (Non-Metal)
Zinc Zn Transition Metal
Iron Fe Transition Metal
Tin Sn 4
Lead Pb 4
Hydrogen H Non-Metal
Copper Cu Transition Metal
Silver Ag Transition Metal
Gold Au Transition Metal
Platinum Pt Transition Metal

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: tghhs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:10 am

Deleted!!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Edited by jrrdw

tghhs
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:16 am

I'm confused?

You mean what exactly?

Does anyone have any experience with ultra-clear resins or varnish? Has to be durable, allergen free and crystal clear.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: tghhs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:20 am

some thing like this

http://www.spudfiles.com
Your sarcazum is not on topic, there for not welcomed in this thread.

Edited by jrrdw

tghhs
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Need some help with this

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:15 am

*edited for to much "razz"*
... I would like to make a casting (jewelery) for a girl. ...

Don't lie. :P :P :P

...Money is little obstacle, though if I'm going to spend enough I may as well just have bought a commercial piece of jewelery....

Most of the reputable jewelry is about the same price as the material it's made from IIRC.
Could be wrong but I think The jewelers simply work thier craft on it to sell the raw materials better.

Wax casting replacement method. etc., Standard jewelry techniques can probably accomplish your needs. just search internet or maybe a library. 8)

Last edited by THUNDERLORD on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:32 am

I don't want to be limited to exotic materials- so I'd like to be able to find a clear coat or similar.

Oh dear- you have found out my front that disguises my whole homosexual man fetish- please don't tell anyone. (/facepalm)

I'd like to give something more personal than any ready made piece of jewelery- anyway, nickel is often a pumper in things like this and that's one of the worst things for it.

Yep- several years back she swallowed a coin- to try bring it up apparently. Throat swelled up so badly she was put in hospital for it. And may I add a wee bit ditsy also.

Edit: sounds good, thanks for the advice btw. I might start doing 3-views of a design then select a chain to match..all in good time.

Edit2: And if I do not have the facilities available at the time to do a high quality small cast i might cold cast after milling whatever material up in a ball mill, then adding resin. That in fact seems the way to go, then I can easily define separate perfect lines in the mold.

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion