Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 57 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My High-Powered Rubber-Band Gun

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
My High-Powered Rubber-Band Gun

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:49 pm

So about a week ago I went to the orthodontist and was told I needed to wear rubber bands for at least four weeks. My most recent air rifle project had failed and I was at a loss as to what to do for the next few weeks. Somehow i came up with the idea of making a rubber-band gun. (I guess it had something to do with those two annoying elastic things currently in my mouth). In between eating soft foods such as pudding, applesauce, and pasta, and taking large ammounts of ibuprophen I cam up with a design. The next day i pulled out my jigsaw and began my work. Anyway, after my "five minute" epoxy had dried, which took about 15 hours, and it still wasn't fully dry, I had a somewhat functional rbg (rubber-band-gun) pistol. The trigger was a clothespin with a clotheshanger sear epoxyd to it, the spring to hold the trigger back was a rubber band, well, here it is. The gun could be described in one long word: itreallysucked. It was unreliable for one. Sometimes it would go off without my pulling the trigger, or other times I would pull the trigger and it would not go off at all. Anyway, here it is:

Well, of course i wanted to make another rbg, so I talked to my dad's cousin who is a woodworker and was interested in my gun. He suggested using a disc for the trigger mech. I used his Idea and came up with this:

Some of you may recognize this stock from my .38 air gun, well, it's nbot the same, as a matter of fact it was the practice piece for that stock. It has a groove where I practice routing for the barrel, but it worked. The trigger mech is pretty simple, just a jar lid with a hole in the middle, and a trio of cup clotheshangers for the sear, trigger, and hold-back thingamajig:

Anyway, the trigger is springloaded with a rubber-band, so it it always ready to shoot. The performance is impressive, using three rubber bands tied together as ammo, I can get it to shoot 50 feet straight into the air. with a washer tied to the end of it I can go through thin cardboard and shash cd cases. Anyway, it's pretty impressive and shoots every time. It's also pretty accurate. Anyway, here are more pics.

the trigger mech removed and next to the gun:

The trigger mech inside the gun:

Me holding the gun ready to fire:

And then three pics of me posing with my gun (note the reds cap, the best baseball team in the world)

I will have some more pics and some damage shots and maybe a vid up soon. Thanks for reading all of this (if you did) If you didn't, shame on you. I welcome any critique, just keep it constructive.

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:07 pm

I love simple things that work and are fun. I was thinking of making a slingshot earlier today, but got too distracted from it...

Also, braces can be quite painful. It's funny how most people don't know that...

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 pm

you could sand the gun a little bit... AFAIK you can do it with a belt sander.. well it's not the prettiest gun but it seems functional...

ohh and think twice before posting any pics of you (not that you are particularly ugly or something...it's not the wisest thing to do as anyone can access them...
in 10 years time you can be a teacher in a middle school or something - guess what would happen if your students find these pics ??)

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Sweet, what size rubber bands do you use?

And your just jealous you're not as buff psycix..

This may interest you..

I might put up my slingshot soon, it's a beast.. I'm just gonna go make a new pouch for it.. But better get back to my 'ible for pocket sized contest soon..

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:44 pm

Brings back some old (very) memories. I made something similar as a kid.

"Tipping" the rubber band with a steel spring taken from a wood clothes pin increases the "effectiveness" substantially. :wink:

http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/Clothes%20Pin.jpg

The rubber band goes on where the ends of the wire meet, the coil will hit first. (drag stabilized)

Run a "hoop" at the "muzzle" end, such that the rubber band can pass through, and add a shotgun style bead sight to it.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: boyntonstu » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:14 am

Jorg Ultimate Slingshot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9lJ5FoXrek
Imagine what 4 of these bad boys could do.
This slingshot uses a non latex elastic rubber that is very powerful.

Slingshot rife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0hhF91mrsc
Pretty interesting

Nice work!

boyntonstu
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:48 pm

you could sand the gun a little bit... AFAIK you can do it with a belt sander.. well it's not the prettiest gun but it seems functional...

Yeah, I'm going to sand and varnish of paint this gun later, i just haven't gotten around to it
(not that you are particularly ugly or something...

Aww thanks, I wish I got that more often :D
in 10 years time you can be a teacher in a middle school or something - guess what would happen if your students find these pics ??)

I would be such a cool teacher that my students wouldn't care, anyway, I'm not putting my name or address on this post or anything...but thanks for caring :o
Sweet, what size rubber bands do you use?

I tie three 3"x1/8" latex rubber bands together
And your just jealous you're not as buff psycix..

haha
Those rbgs are awesome...way beyond my ability to build I'm afraid, but cool all the same
Brings back some old (very) memories. I made something similar as a kid.
"Tipping" the rubber band with a steel spring taken from a wood clothes pin increases the "effectiveness" substantially.
http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/Clothes%20Pin.jpg
The rubber band goes on where the ends of the wire meet, the coil will hit first. (drag stabilized)
Run a "hoop" at the "muzzle" end, such that the rubber band can pass through, and add a shotgun style bead sight to it.

Yeah, I have tried tipping the rb with a steel washer (powerfull), and a paperclip (accurate but not as powerfull). Without tipping the rubber band I was able to crush a alluminum pop can in a few shots at almost point blank range.

Thanks for the comments you guys!

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion