Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 48 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Anodizing

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Anodizing

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 pm

Hey,

I'm rebuilding the mini cobra, except before assembly each aluminum part will be anodized. I've been doing tests using a caustic solution with dyes and the aluminum is accepting the dye, but not completely.

I'd rather avoid using sulfuric acid if I can, so is there any acceptable substitute? All I want to do is work a dye into the metal, I can then varnish it wafterwards if needed.

Has anyone tried something other than sulfuric? Citric? Boric? Oxalic? Acetic? Could a caustic mixture be used for this purpose?

The anodizing looks nice so far, but it's not complete. Would it look better if I went over it with steel wool or something before..

Thanks guys
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Anodizing

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:25 pm

inonickname wrote:Hey,

I'm rebuilding the mini cobra, except before assembly each aluminum part will be anodized. I've been doing tests using a caustic solution with dyes and the aluminum is accepting the dye, but not completely.

I'd rather avoid using sulfuric acid if I can, so is there any acceptable substitute? All I want to do is work a dye into the metal, I can then varnish it wafterwards if needed.

Has anyone tried something other than sulfuric? Citric? Boric? Oxalic? Acetic? Could a caustic mixture be used for this purpose?

The anodizing looks nice so far, but it's not complete. Would it look better if I went over it with steel wool or something before..

Thanks guys


Have you looked it up on Google. Google is your friend. Full instructions are here.
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Re: Anodizing

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Technician1002 wrote:
inonickname wrote:Hey,

I'm rebuilding the mini cobra, except before assembly each aluminum part will be anodized. I've been doing tests using a caustic solution with dyes and the aluminum is accepting the dye, but not completely.

I'd rather avoid using sulfuric acid if I can, so is there any acceptable substitute? All I want to do is work a dye into the metal, I can then varnish it wafterwards if needed.

Has anyone tried something other than sulfuric? Citric? Boric? Oxalic? Acetic? Could a caustic mixture be used for this purpose?

The anodizing looks nice so far, but it's not complete. Would it look better if I went over it with steel wool or something before..

Thanks guys


Have you looked it up on Google. Google is your friend. Full instructions are here.
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html


That's the point. I don't want to use sulfuric acid. I don't want to form aluminum hydrate, I simply want to work the dye into the metal.
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: brogdenlaxmiddie » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:34 am

sodium hydroxide? it solves all of my problems.... haha :twisted:
  • 0


brogdenlaxmiddie
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:19 pm
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:39 am

brogdenlaxmiddie wrote:sodium hydroxide? it solves all of my problems.... haha :twisted:


Great, that reacts with aluminum. :roll:

The new chamber is bubbling away in the solution, so i'll check soon and see what i end up with.
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: brogdenlaxmiddie » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:02 am

Did you seriously put the aluminum in the sodium hydroxide?
I pray to god you didn't. If you did you need to take it out immediatly and get everyone out of your house. Keep all electricity and flames away from it!
hahaha
  • 0


brogdenlaxmiddie
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:19 pm
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:31 am

lol brogdenlaxmiddie... that was stupid
  • 0

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
User avatar
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 pm
Country: Israel (il)
Reputation: 10

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:49 am

Course not brog, I aint retarded.

Caustic mixes don't work great, back to H2SO4 soon
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:46 am

Why not just paint it?
  • 0

User avatar
mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 21

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:54 am

mark.f wrote:Why not just paint it?


Paint looks rubbish, scratches and is not even unless it is airbrushed. If I were to paint it I'd coat it with epoxy and a colored powder. This one will just be polished and varnished.
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:01 am

Scroll down to Aluminum Black...
Looks a lot cheaper than anodizing kits.

They also have "Brass Black" there, which I plan to use sometime, as well as blueing for steel or "Browning" for antique stuff.

It's probably a good idea to polish it to a shiny luster first using a buffer wheel and buffing compounds.

There's a technique I've been wanting to try for certain spots, where a cork fastened to a rod, inserted in a dremel, drill or other spinny thing, dipped in valve grinding compound or abrasive polish, then the circular swirls are overlapped...looks cool on knives, gun hammers, motorcycle frames/ parts, dash boards etc. IMO. 8)
  • 0

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1264
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:42 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:04 am

inonickname wrote:If I were to paint it I'd coat it with epoxy and a colored powder. This one will just be polished and varnished.


They make epoxy coatings for that, albeit not in your desired color range, probably.

And paint, when applied correctly, and matched to it's application, shouldn't peel or scratch easily or at all.

You could also try powder coating it if you're really ambitious. :wink:
  • 0

User avatar
mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 21

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:06 am

I've already polished the parts and begun epoxying so it's a little late..

Maybe next time :lol:
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:01 am

well you didn't mention chromic acid :lol:
  • 0

I ♥ ♣'in baby seals
User avatar
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:10 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:58 am

You can purchase pre anodized tubing for very cheap. You can look around and might find some in blue. Tubing that small would only cost a few bucks for sure.
  • 0

User avatar
Moonbogg
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: whittier, CA USA
Reputation: 0

Next

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'