Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Small Scale Engine modelling thread..

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Small Scale Engine modelling thread..

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:44 am

Does anyone else here enjoy building/running small scale models, such as engines and the like?

It's something I've always had an interest in, but with basic tooling I never got much done. Now I have my lathe (I do have a bit of past machining experience..) I decided to build a (very) small radial. I do have access to a mill, but I wanted to do it entirely with tooling I have at home. For this reason the engine will be made from hexstock. It was originally going to be a 6 cylinder, but for simplicity and time constraints it was changed to a 3 cylinder.

The are no plans, but I'm building it in a certain order that means there will be no sloppy fits or inaccuracy. It uses a rotary valve that opens (in and ex.) slightly before TDC/BDC then closes slightly after. For multiple cylinders, this makes it much simpler and has the potential for more power. Also does away with mushroomed pins. Plus, there's little chance of dieseling with flammable oils or any mineral turpentine in the motor..

I'll post some pictures after dinner. I have started turning out the crankcase and drilled holes to mount the cylinders..

So, anyone else interested in small models/engines.. Planes, jets, steam engines? Boats..

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:04 am

Photos..

The cylinder holes are drilled 2mm back (first one is at 10mm, second 12, then 14mm) to account for space on the pin.

Tomorrow it gets cut off the rod and bored out.. I should have drills big enough..but may finish it off with a boring bar to make it nice and smooth.

I'm thinking of knurling the ends of the cylinders and pressing them in, but I may just spread the epoxy goodness.

After the case is finished, I do a crank, backplate, connecting rod(s), pistons, cut cylinders to length, make cylinder heads, finish rotary valve, set up tubes (got to bend a lot of aluminum tube..) make a carby (ball valve, except sealless..shaped like a carby)..Then lap all the parts together and polish.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:33 pm

Hmm when nobody else responds, I'll just say that I think this is an awesome project!
You have just added another thing to my "things I ever want to build" list. :)
Keep the updates coming and good luck with the construction! :D

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion