Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 53 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My trike

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
My trike

Unread postAuthor: jor2daje » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:09 pm

I recently bought a cheap harbor freight welder just to try my hand at welding and I have built a welding cart, and this tricycle. The tricycle was based on this, but i didnt have any square tubing so I just used old bicycle parts, a shopping cart, and a school chair. Its basically a tricycle with shopping cart wheels for the back wheels.

Its a blast to ride but occasionally difficult to control, so I thought I'd ask advice of you guys because everyone on this site is very mechanically inclined. I was thinking some sort of brake system to stop the caster wheels from being able to cast. This way you could ride it like a normal trike in straight lines but still do 360s whenever. Any input is appreciated

ps any tips for a welding newb would also be appreciated.

Attachments
welder.jpg
My cheap welder and cart
my trike.jpg
I built the handle bars out of the school chairs legs and some pieces of bike handle bars. I did it this way because my old bars kept bending, and my knees kept hitting them
rear view.jpg
jor2daje
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: My trike

Unread postAuthor: boyntonstu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:12 pm

jor2daje wrote:I recently bought a cheap harbor freight welder just to try my hand at welding and I have built a welding cart, and this tricycle. The tricycle was based on this, but i didnt have any square tubing so I just used old bicycle parts, a shopping cart, and a school chair. Its basically a tricycle with shopping cart wheels for the back wheels.

Its a blast to ride but occasionally difficult to control, so I thought I'd ask advice of you guys because everyone on this site is very mechanically inclined. I was thinking some sort of brake system to stop the caster wheels from being able to cast. This way you could ride it like a normal trike in straight lines but still do 360s whenever. Any input is appreciated

ps any tips for a welding newb would also be appreciated.

Here's mine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yBLJg0efmk[/youtube]

BoyntonStu[/youtube]

boyntonstu
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:21 pm

hmm i think i see a trike phase coming after this slingshot phase. Nice job though. Ever try to wheelie in it?

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jor2daje » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Dang boyntonstu thats awesome, Im thinking of making something similar to that for my next project only the two wheels will be in the front, and it will use a small gas engine to drive the single rear wheel.

jor2daje
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: smiley_666 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:00 am

put the castors on more of an angle, that way your body weight will help straighten up the rear wheels

smiley_666
Private First Class
Private First Class

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion