Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Heimo's metal casting thread

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Heimo's metal casting thread

Unread postAuthor: Heimo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:16 pm

I am starting this thread here cause there seemed to be some interest when I posted a pic of the fan I made a while back

I am kicking this thread off with a video of me casting a disc for a disc sander

unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the molding procedure but I need to cast another disc like this Monday so I will take some pics on how a mold for metal casting is made

the furnace I used in the video is a homemade one I made and it is fired with waste oil

here is the video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_iNg26ClFk[/youtube]

I would just like to note that I over heated the metal in that video on accident :oops: it is not supposed to be that hot, the metal being hotter then it is supposed to be is the reason for the bad surface finish on the casting

I also think that being able to cast metal will allow you to make a lot of custom parts for launchers that will be very durable and a lot stronger than PVC and believe it or not but making a casting is a lot easier than it is to make the part from a piece of stock.

more later :wink:

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Heimo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Better than epoxy casting. :D

This technique is rarely used in the spudding community, yet a very useful one. I think a few howto's on metal casting might be a valuable addition to spudfiles.

Combine this with some machining, thread tapping and polishing and you can build nearly anything.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:34 pm

psycix wrote:Better than epoxy casting.

In some ways, in terms of the strength of the final product - but for epoxy the mould only has to be leak prook, not fireproof :P :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Heimo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:34 pm

psycix wrote:
This technique is rarely used in the spudding community, yet a very useful one. I think a few howto's on metal casting might be a valuable addition to spudfiles.

Combine this with some machining, thread tapping and polishing and you can build nearly anything.

that is what I intend on doing, I intend to show you guys some simple metal casting techniques and I will also show how to build a simple furnace but that will take some time since school starts again an the 13th over here and it is my final year so I expect to be busy

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Heimo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:56 am

As of yet i suggest for people who are intrested to have a look at http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com and http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums. Lots of good info on there from machining to burner designs.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion