Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Labtecpower » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:09 pm

They are 30 km away from me :D

Didn't know of their existence tough...
Everytime I see them, i'm like; Why don't you put a barrel on it?

Luckily almost all of my friends are like those farmers, so maybe I can arrange something for new years eve :)

"ñøw mÿ šįg šüçkś!"
Labtecpower
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:32 pm

OMG a carbide gatling :D

I know it was popular here too... maybe 40 or so years ago

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Crajy Dutsh farmersh

Only our most well known member talks like that.

You can simply leave out the " farmersh"

We' all crazy like that son... :wink:

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Brian the brain wrote:Only our most well known member talks like that.

Ishn't that weird :)

We' all crazy like that son... :wink:

I've had this impression for some years, and spudfiles has only reinforced it :D

Edit: Disney should update its fairytale storylines, I would have wasted a lot less of my youth if I had been raised on something like this:

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:02 pm

I know that a few people on this forum have something of a background in special relativity, so what do you think of this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

Puzzling results from CERN, home of the LHC, have confounded physicists - because it appears subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.

Neutrinos sent through the ground from CERN toward the Gran Sasso laboratory 732km away seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second early.

The result - which threatens to upend a century of physics - will be put online for scrutiny by other scientists.

In the meantime, the group says it is being very cautious about its claims.

"We tried to find all possible explanations for this," said report author Antonio Ereditato of the Opera collaboration.

"We wanted to find a mistake - trivial mistakes, more complicated mistakes, or nasty effects - and we didn't," he told BBC News.

"When you don't find anything, then you say 'Well, now I'm forced to go out and ask the community to scrutinise this.'"

The speed of light is the Universe's ultimate speed limit, and much of modern physics - as laid out in part by Albert Einstein in his special theory of relativity - depends on the idea that nothing can exceed it.

Thousands of experiments have been undertaken to measure it ever more precisely, and no result has ever spotted a particle breaking the limit.

But Dr Ereditato and his colleagues have been carrying out an experiment for the last three years that seems to suggest neutrinos have done just that.

Neutrinos come in a number of types, and have recently been seen to switch spontaneously from one type to another.

The team prepares a beam of just one type, muon neutrinos, sending them from CERN to an underground laboratory at Gran Sasso in Italy to see how many show up as a different type, tau neutrinos.

In the course of doing the experiments, the researchers noticed that the particles showed up a few billionths of a second sooner than light would over the same distance.

The team measured the travel times of neutrino bunches some 15,000 times, and have reached a level of statistical significance that in scientific circles would count as a formal discovery.

But the group understands that what are known as "systematic errors" could easily make an erroneous result look like a breaking of the ultimate speed limit, and that has motivated them to publish their measurements.

"My dream would be that another, independent experiment finds the same thing - then I would be relieved," Dr Ereditato said.

But for now, he explained, "we are not claiming things, we want just to be helped by the community in understanding our crazy result - because it is crazy".

"And of course the consequences can be very serious."

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LeMaudit » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Fascinating... I'm no expert here, but maybe it's not the speed of light barrier that was broken, but time relativity.

The neutrinos boldly went a tiny bit in the future :D

hmmm... or is it in the past?! :shock:

I HAZ A BANG!
LeMaudit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Yeah I saw that article as well. If it is true, I'm quite excited. Will be amazing if someone figures out why the particles travel faster than light and what implications it has for the laws of the universe.

Opens up possibilties for travelling back in time (future time travel should be possible even if not travelling at the speed of light).

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:52 pm

I'd like to see people repeat the experiment first. I know that with this kind of experiment that one run can get pricey, but if they can't reproduce the results...

Neutrinos are freaky things.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:32 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:realfairytale.jpg

I read this a while ago and laughed my ass off.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:34 pm

My friend posted this on facebook. Any truth to it?
This is seriously messed up. Apparently in response to the financial debt that America has, they are strictly enforcing the return of tax forms to the USA if you have US citizenship and if you have more than $10,000 USD in your non-US bank account and haven't disclosed it to the US Treasury, even if you have never lived or worked there. This enforcement is upheld so intensely that they will focus on those with a great amount of assets or even those who can take out student loans so that if they DON'T return these forms, they can be charged $10,000 per year for "undisclosed assets"...

So if I don't return some stupid form to the US, for every year for the rest of my life, they could take $10,000 each year from me to try and recover their own debt. Seriously. This sort of thing is why I don't tell anybody about my US citizenship... FUK U USA

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: HunterT » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:19 am

MrCrowley wrote:My friend posted this on facebook. Any truth to it?
This is seriously messed up. Apparently in response to the financial debt that America has, they are strictly enforcing the return of tax forms to the USA if you have US citizenship and if you have more than $10,000 USD in your non-US bank account and haven't disclosed it to the US Treasury, even if you have never lived or worked there. This enforcement is upheld so intensely that they will focus on those with a great amount of assets or even those who can take out student loans so that if they DON'T return these forms, they can be charged $10,000 per year for "undisclosed assets"...

So if I don't return some stupid form to the US, for every year for the rest of my life, they could take $10,000 each year from me to try and recover their own debt. Seriously. This sort of thing is why I don't tell anybody about my US citizenship... FUK U USA

I'm not sure if it's true. I would say that it's fictitious, but then again I don't have a non-US bank account.

HunterT
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:36 am

Neutrinos have non-zero mass, so I'm not buying the above c claims.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Zeus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:41 am

The report for those interested. I haven't read it yet, but I knew lurking /sci/ would help me at some point.

/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Zeus
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:04 am

MrCrowley wrote:My friend posted this on facebook. Any truth to it?

After reading a bit on it, it doesn't seem to be anything new, if I'm reading correctly, it was originally passed in 1970.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: warhead052 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:23 am

Brian the brain wrote:
Crajy Dutsh farmersh

Only our most well known member talks like that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08[/youtube]

No offense intended :wink:

warhead052
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion