Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: HunterT » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:10 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ssia-shows -flying-drone-fitted-machine-gun.html

obviously fake but reported as news...


No reason it has to stay fake... :D I can duct tape(sorry, epoxy) a BBMG to my pals RC chopper.
  • 0

User avatar
HunterT
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 pm
Location: Just east of Russia
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:20 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Are drug tests quite common in America? Don't think I know anyone here who has been tested when either applying for a job or working for a company.


When I was in the Navy, random drug tests were common. This was especially true in fields requiring a security clearance.

My current employer required one for employment.

I got an Aids test and drug test for health and life insurance. Same again for my Visa to another country.

Insurance companies don't want to write policies for people with high risk factors.

So far I have failed all drug tests.. No positive results for drugs ever.
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:41 pm

HunterT wrote:No reason it has to stay fake... :D I can duct tape(sorry, epoxy) a BBMG to my pals RC chopper.


If you can keep the weight down...

Let's take a reasonably priced (sub $500) kit like this.

Maximum payload is just over half a kilo - would you be able to make a viable BBMG (including barrel, valve, trigger servo, BB chamber, BBs & air chamber) to that weight?

It's an interesting challenge :) but I want to finish the sentry gun first.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:46 pm

Since watching the movie Idi I Smotri the other week, I decided to tackle a bunch of WWII films that I had heard about but not seen. Today I got bored and made a list of all the WWII films that I can recall seeing:

The Bridge on the River Kwai - 1957
The Guns Of Navarone - 1961
The Longest Day - 1962
The Great Escape - 1963
The Dirty Dozen - 1967
The Bridge At Remagen - 1968
Where Eagles Dare - 1968
Battle of Britain - 1969
Kelly's Heroes - 1970
Patton - 1970
Tora! Tora! Tora! - 1970
The Eagle Has Landed - 1976
A Bridge Too Far - 1977
Cross Of Iron - 1977
Soldaat van Oranje - 1977
The Big Red One - 1980
Das Boot - 1981
Idi I Smotri - 1985
Schindler's List - 1993
Stalingrad - 1993
The Thin Red Line - 1998
Saving Private Ryan - 1998
U-571 - 2000
Conspiracy - 2001
Enemy At The Gates - 2001
Pearl Harbour - 2001
The Pianist - 2002
Windtalkers - 2002
Saints And Soldiers - 2003
Der Untergang - 2004
Sophie Scholl: Die letzten Tage - 2005
The Great Raid - 2005
Flags Of Our Fathers - 2006
Letters From Iwo Jima - 2006
Die Fälscher - 2007
Valkyrie - 2008
Defiance - 2008

I've got a much smaller list of WWII films that I've yet to see. Anyone have some recommendations? There are some films not included that may relate to WWII (like The Great Dictator) or take place during WWII but aren't strictly about WWII.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:02 am

MrCrowley wrote:Anyone have some recommendations?


Yes. Unsee U-571. And Pearl Harbour.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKjR1V-Dg14[/youtube]

also good, but WWI:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6WYHagWdeE[/youtube]

These days I just watch the action scenes on youtube though, I hate it when they feel the need to shoehorn romance into the story.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: HunterT » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Maximum payload is just over half a kilo - would you be able to make a viable BBMG (including barrel, valve, trigger servo, BB chamber, BBs & air chamber) to that weight?


I don't know because I haven't tried it, yet...
  • 0

User avatar
HunterT
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 pm
Location: Just east of Russia
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 am

Unsee U-571. And Pearl Harbour

Nearly didn't put them (and Windtalkers) on the list but they make up numbers so what the hell. I didn't recognise Dark Blue World's English name but I had heard of Tmavomodrý svet on IMDB and had it on my list of movies to see. Paschendale looks visually impressive, but as you say it's a pity they felt the need to shoehorn romance in to the story.

I almost prefer the older films just because they would borrow 25 C-47's or organise large parachute drops because they didn't have the option of using CGI. Though, it's annoying when a film like Patton can't even get one type of tank from WWII and instead have both Allies and Germans using 50s American tanks; at least The Big Red One had the Germans using a tank from WWII, even if it were a dressed-up Sherman.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:12 am

HunterT wrote:I don't know because I haven't tried it, yet...


Certainly an interesting challenge. I would envision BBs stored in the air chamber, and a detent blocker "valve" directly operated by the servo for maximum efficiency and minimum weight.

I almost prefer the older films just because they would borrow 25 C-47's or organise large parachute drops because they didn't have the option of using CGI.


I have the complete opposite opinion, because they always compromised in older films (seeing the Buchóns in Battle of Britain always makes me cringe for example) and its always painfully obvious when they use models.

One notable exception (at least in my memory, saw it ages ago) was Tora Tora Tora, the efforts they madeto create accurate replicas were quite remarkable.

Here's another little known film I recommend: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329042/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLXfWpe-Vok[/youtube]

A very honest and down-to-earth production that makes no pretences of hollywood glory.

Also if you haven't seen it, 9th company is a nice Russian epic of their conflict in Afghanistan.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:I have the complete opposite opinion, because they always compromised in older films (seeing the Buchóns in Battle of Britain always makes me cringe for example) and its always painfully obvious when they use models.

One notable exception (at least in my memory, saw it ages ago) was Tora Tora Tora, the efforts they madeto create accurate replicas were quite remarkable.

That's funny, I was about to offer Tora! Tora! Tora! as the best example of how old films could use models to make such moments come to life. I watched it again yesterday, and am quite pleased I did, as I didn't recall much of it from when my Grandad showed it to me as a kid. People criticise the first half of the film for being boring but I thought it built the suspense quite well if you weren't already familiar with the exact events leading up to Dec. 7.

Apparently the models of the battleships are on display somewhere and they're even more magnificent in real life.

Battle of Britain was a decent watch, the obvious green-screened scenes were the most annoying for me but fortunately the awesome shots of planes crashing in to the sea/ground made up for them. The bombing of the British airbase was quite awesome too; I get sick of the Hollywood bombs/grenades that are basically giant balls of fire. I knew BoB used Spanish planes for the Germans but I didn't know this: "Buchons also played the Bf 109's opposition, the Hawker Hurricane, in one scene in Battle of Britain" :lol:

Like I said, it was better than seeing a poorly disguised, iron cross-bearing, Sherman in The Big Red One or the unrecognisable tanks in Patton. Kelly's Heroes did a good job with the T-34 Tiger I, apparently Saving Private Ryan used the same tank.

I don't really know my WWII machines and weaponry as well as I probably should so a plane that is touched up to look like a Me109 or Zero will get by me most of the time. I did pick up the American soldier using a 91/30 Mosin with a PU scope in Kelly's Heroes but since he had tied an American bayonet to it, one can assume he found it on a German (perhaps transferred from the Eastern front) or traded with someone rather than the producers not being able to track down a Springfield.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:36 am

MrCrowley wrote:I don't really know my WWII machines and weaponry as well as I probably should so a plane that is touched up to look like a Me109 or Zero will get by me most of the time.


I think this is my problem, I don't blame film makers for not making the effort sometimes because for probably more than 95% of the viewing public, this would be a more than accurate representation of what Manfred von Richthofen flew in the first world war:

Image

I would be spitting blood, but most people would be more interested in the human story and drama than historical accuracy.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:00 am

I wouldn't lump myself with the crowd who'd give a pass on something like that but if they use a M4 Sherman with a 76mm gun in a 1943-set film or a Yugoslavian M53 instead of MG42 I wouldn't know enough to be upset.

If they ever use an American sub as a German U-boat, I'll walk out of the film :D

edit: now to decide my top 10 scores/songs from that list of films.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:30 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcl8vLILuMM[/youtube]
dear santa :D
  • 0

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
User avatar
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5405
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 pm
Country: Israel (il)
Reputation: 10

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:47 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:dear santa :D


I actually touched one of these at MAKS in Moscow in 2009 :D

edit: found avideo of it hehe
  • 0

Attachments
tunguska.jpg
User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Here's a relic from the cold war days. I live about 15 minutes from YPG. Last week I went there to look around. Anyone recognize this "Spud Gun", which now is no more than a lawn ornament?
  • 0

Attachments
Yuma Proving Ground.jpg
Yuma Proving Ground.jpg (20.19 KiB) Viewed 472 times
User avatar
velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: STHORNE » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:43 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Since watching the movie Idi I Smotri the other week, I decided to tackle a bunch of WWII films that I had heard about but not seen. Today I got bored and made a list of all the WWII films that I can recall seeing:.......



Umm....Where's Forrest Gump my good sir? :o
  • 0

Forum Rules - follow them or else!
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
User avatar
STHORNE
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Kewaunee, Wisconsin
Reputation: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'