Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:21 am

jrrdw wrote:Not a bad bike, if I remember correctly 84 was the 1st year Honda made them water cooled. The only problem I can see is it's a 2 stroke....



Ill take the 2 stroke over the 4 ,, the power band is disgusting,, 6gears ,, it is so fast, my neighbor has a newer 400 ex he cant keep up :)
  • 0


jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:03 pm

jsefcik wrote:Ill take the 2 stroke over the 4 ,, the power band is disgusting,, 6gears ,, it is so fast, my neighbor has a newer 400 ex he cant keep up :)


Every time I hear the term "power band" I have to laugh. There is no bands in a 2 stroke engine that give it more power. A 2 stroke engine has a range of RPM's in witch it makes the best/most power that it can make. Normally around 7500 to 9000 RPM.

A lot of people are mistaken about that...

On a straight flat out drag race the 400 should gain a immediate leed and hold that leed for at least 1/2 a mile then the 2 stroke should pull ahead once the 400 reaches it's top end simple because the 2 stroke has a much higher top end.
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 pm

jrrdw

Not sure if you're joking or not - but every engine has a "power band." it's simply the RPM range that it produces peak power efficiency. The reason people usually associate 2 strokes with them, and especially fixed volume exhaust 2 strokes like a dirt bike is because the harmonics in the expansion chamber hit an optimum resonance where the power curve is quite sudden - a feeling felt more frequently in 2 strokes before the power valve was introduced.

I'm guessing you know most of this - but the term is not literal, more so figurative.
  • 0

User avatar
mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 am
Reputation: 9

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Wtf??? Bands drive motor bikes all the time...... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • 0

Go Bruins!!!!
User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:53 pm

mattyzip77 wrote:Wtf??? Bands drive motor bikes all the time...... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D


Hell yea! The Led Zeppelin motor bike out runs the Abba motor bike every dam time....Go figure :P :P :P :P :P

mobile chernobyl wrote:Not sure if you're joking or not - but every engine has a "power band." it's simply the RPM range that it produces peak power efficiency. The reason people usually associate 2 strokes with them, and especially fixed volume exhaust 2 strokes like a dirt bike is because the harmonics in the expansion chamber hit an optimum resonance where the power curve is quite sudden - a feeling felt more frequently in 2 strokes before the power valve was introduced.

I'm guessing you know most of this - but the term is not literal, more so figurative.


Isn't that what I said but worded differently....
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:49 pm

They do have a power band when you wack the throttle,, the jump of extra power is what I love:)


Any ways I would like to say thanks jrrdw my aluminum piston is complete :) nd on its way home :)
  • 0


jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Zeus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:16 am

Yeah, two strokes are funny beasts, I only work with them on a small scale (chainsaws, brushcutters etc), and when you hit that power band on a 80 odd CC chainsaw, and the saw nearly jumps out of your hands.

Still haven't rode my mate's Kato EXC with a big bore to 330CC, race tuned, but he reckons the power band nearly kicks you off.
  • 0

/sarcasm, /hyperbole
User avatar
Zeus
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: 'Straya, C*nt
Reputation: 2

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 am

jsefcik wrote:They do have a power band


They do, do they, well go to the parts diagrams and look at the list that Honda provides, there are no bands of any kind in your engine.

http://www.petescycle.com/OEMpartfinder.htm
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 am

Zeus wrote:Yeah, two strokes are funny beasts, I only work with them on a small scale (chainsaws, brushcutters etc), and when you hit that power band on a 80 odd CC chainsaw, and the saw nearly jumps out of your hands.

Still haven't rode my mate's Kato EXC with a big bore to 330CC, race tuned, but he reckons the power band nearly kicks you off.


it would, my first bike a 2001 honda cr80r, was a beast just like that, but once i put the big bore 125cc with such a small wheel base you had one wheel up all up to 4 gear! it killed 250 without issue! maxed it out on the freeway one night 140 with 5% nitro fuel in it!
  • 0

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
User avatar
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:14 am
Location: australia
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Zeus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:31 am

Ahaha, Jrrdw, you funny bastard.

Would "the RPM range in which the engine provides the most power" suit more?

Edit: Haha, sounds awesome Crna, those little bikes can do a lot. The same mate scored a Kato 125 for 190 which I'm considering talking him out of, despite the fact that the two people who'll ride it are 5'10" and 6'4", it'll be fun as fork.
  • 0

Last edited by Zeus on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole
User avatar
Zeus
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: 'Straya, C*nt
Reputation: 2

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:33 am

jrrdw wrote:
jsefcik wrote:They do have a power band


They do, do they, well go to the parts diagrams and look at the list that Honda provides, there are no bands of any kind in your engine.

http://www.petescycle.com/OEMpartfinder.htm



not gonna fight over it i know they do ,, that extra jump of power is just amazing!!! anyways im surprised over the reaction i got from my parents when i rolled it into my garage!!!!
  • 0


jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Zeus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:40 am

Jesse, hate to spoil the joke, but you're talking about the range of RPM that gives you heaps more power. Jrrdw is baiting you by saying there's no physical bands (like a fan belt kinda band) in a 2 stroke.
  • 0

/sarcasm, /hyperbole
User avatar
Zeus
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: 'Straya, C*nt
Reputation: 2

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:43 am

jsefcik wrote:
jrrdw wrote:
jsefcik wrote:They do have a power band


They do, do they, well go to the parts diagrams and look at the list that Honda provides, there are no bands of any kind in your engine.

http://www.petescycle.com/OEMpartfinder.htm



not gonna fight over it i know they do ,, that extra jump of power is just amazing!!! anyways im surprised over the reaction i got from my parents when i rolled it into my garage!!!!


Sorry Jesse your wrong again... Powerband is only a word, a reference used for a motors Rpm's best performance....kinda like saying when you get in a fight "I beat the crap out of that guy" its a figure of speech....
  • 0

Go Bruins!!!!
User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am

mattyzip77 wrote:Powerband is only a word, a reference used for a motors Rpm's best performance....kinda like saying when you get in a fight "I beat the crap out of that guy" its a figure of speech....


Correct-a-mundo Arthur Fonzarelli! :wink:
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:31 am

Zeus wrote:Jesse, hate to spoil the joke, but you're talking about the range of RPM that gives you heaps more power. Jrrdw is baiting you by saying there's no physical bands (like a fan belt kinda band) in a 2 stroke.



Oh I know what he means,, yes I agree on there is no physical bands
  • 0


jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am
Reputation: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'