Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:49 pm

MrCrowley wrote:I think I'd rather give up sex than be single for my entire life... and I hear that's just what happens when you get married :D


Whatever works for you :)

Some arguments against marriage as a means of securing lifelong companionship in Western society from here, I know you weren't specifically refering to marriage but these points are worth mulling over:

“I won’t die alone”
Wrong. The simple fact is that one spouse WILL die alone. Visit the hospital and go to the terminally ill or cardiac departments. Few people have the time to sit with an ill relative all day and all night. Yes, you may get visitors, but they aren’t having the same thoughts as you are. You’re contemplating your mortality, while they’re wondering what food the hospital cafeteria offers. In the end, even with a loving and supportive family, most of us will leave this world alone, unless you both die simultaneously in an accident of some kind. Your spouse may die fifteen years before you, or you may be in the hospital for your last year. Ultimately, we all die alone. Married or not.


“I won’t grow old alone”
Not necessarily. A marriage can self-destruct at any time. Your partner may initiate divorce at age 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65 or 70. Many married people end up in the same position (alone) as if they had never married at all. Now they enter their twilight years broke, as a result of being stripped of half or more of their life’s assets, losing half their retirement and pension funds, and being assessed alimony payments. Experiencing financial devastation from one divorce often may preclude a man from ever marrying again. This is a common observation of many middle-aged Western Women. Q: “Where are all the men?”. A: “He is broke from the divorce settlement, alimony and child support payments.” Thus these women don’t find him marriable, and he grows old alone and poor.

Men are led to believe that not marrying implies only one destiny; that of a solitary monk in a cave, a shunned loner. However, life is not so black and white. Not marrying does not mean you cannot continue to date or have meaningful relationships throughout your life. There are plenty of single people in all age brackets. A bad marriage can be the loneliest of institutions, because most of your emotional outlet and companionship is concentrated into one person who gives back nothing in emotion, affection or support. Young men in their 20′s and 30′s should be more aware of the alternatives that exist in life. They should be aware that marriage is a choice, and is not the only path life has to offer. An informed decision is less likely to be one that is later regretted.


That's me convinced.

Linking to RadFem (or whatever they want to be called) blogs as an argument against women is like linking to StormFront in an argument against Republicans.


LOL! I'm not arguing against women, not saying they should be banned or something... but just because not many of them articulate these thoughts in a blog, it does represent "female logic" as far as I'm concerned.

There are some nutty women out there, I'll do what I can to avoid them but if I fail I can only hope I come out on the other side relatively unscathed. Similarly, there are some nutty men out there and I do what I can to avoid them and can only hope that any encounters with them leave me with my my health in tact.


Again, it's unfair to generalize, nutters come with genitalia of all shapes and forms, but in my experience such stereotyping has never let me down.

I guess the situation changes depending on how much money you have too. If you're loaded, it'd be easier to go without a partner and enjoy the single life. If you're stuck working 9-5 for 46 weeks a year, you might want something more than just a cat to come home to.


While you might not be "loaded", not being in a relationship does leave you with a surprising amount of disposable income - because you only buy the things you actually need. I like this quote on the topic:

Women are people-oriented and men are object-oriented. That's why we see so many women buying crap in the malls and so many boys playing team sports. Have you ever been in a bachelor apartment? There's a stereo, one sheet, and a plastic spoon/fork from Kentucky Fried Chicken. Wait 'til the poor sucker gets married.


Besides, coming home from a dreary job to have your partner tell you about her day and bitching about her female colleagues when you'd rather shag and nod off isn't exactly better than a cat you know.

If you can't identify with that situation, you clearly haven't had a relationship with someone for more than 6 months :)

It seems that when you start settling down and getting bored with life you start to turn to companionship as an essential part of your sanity. This is a reality for many people before they even hit 30. I imagine many of us here have no problems with having a hobby to keep us interested and sane but it's probably a different story once you retire.


I think "Roy" is an excellent role model :D
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:05 pm

“I won’t die alone”
Wrong. The simple fact is that one spouse WILL die alone.
Unless you have children of course. Or siblings. Or friends. It really varies how, where, and when people die but it's not uncommon for terminally ill old patients to live out the last of their days at home. And, in my experience, it's possible to roughly predict how much longer someone may last (in terms of days).

Not having a partner is just more likely to guarantee that you die alone. Not that that is a bad thing, or something that everyone wants to avoid, it really depends on who you are.

“I won’t grow old alone”
Not necessarily. A marriage can self-destruct at any time

Again, no one is guaranteeing that a married person will grow old or die in the comfort of their spouse. No one has ridiculous expectations like that. A partner simply increases the chances that you will grow old with a person you enjoy living with.

Sure, you may get divorced but that's not as common as people think and you can lower the probability by carefully selecting your partner. Just because so many marriages end up in divorces on average doesn't mean that the average criteria for selecting a partner is as rigorous as yours.

NZ in 2012: for every 100 existing marriages there is 1 divorce.

Experiencing financial devastation from one divorce...

Prenup. Sure, not everyone will be happy with that but you're not forced to marry them. Maybe only have a prenup for a pre-determined period after which you feel comfortable in sharing things equally. Hell, you don't even need to get a prenup. Expecting inheritance from a dying relative? Have some property investments on the side? Arrange your finances carefully and set up a trust.

As you mentioned, the arguments are really about marriage versus no marriage but, in some instances, I'm treating them as if they were about relationships versus no relationships as that was my original argument :wink:

but just because not many of them articulate these thoughts in a blog, it does represent "female logic" as far as I'm concerned.
Sorry are you saying that not many women have blogs so these blogs must be representative of "female logic" or that because so little women argue these points in a blog that they must represent "female logic"?

Just a little confused because I would simply counter with "StormFront must represent "male logic" because ...". For every stupid female blog out there I'm sure I could find 10 idiotic male blogs just due to the popularity of men on the internet. Sure, that might not be representative of men but ... you must see where I'm going with this?

I get the feeling that you may read something stupid written by a guy and think "oh that's just because he's a creationist/republican/liberal/communist/racist/teenager/idiot" but then read something by a girl and think "oh that's because she's a girl". I sometimes get where you're coming from, if I haven't been in a relationship with someone like that then I probably has a friend who has or have heard about someone else who has. That being said, I don't understand how you are able to generalise across the board so easily as it runs counter to logic and rational thought. Even if such generalisations were appropriate, it is reasonable to assume that men would also have their equivalent generalisations in the eyes of women. In that case, it'd seem best to accept any differences and move past them rather than thinking that the one gender is flawed compared to the norm.

While you might not be "loaded", not being in a relationship does leave you with a surprising amount of disposable income - because you only buy the things you actually need
Yeah, though when I said "loaded" I was thinking of having a lot more money than that saved by not having a spouse. My uncle is single and seems to travel the world every year. However, he still spends ~45 weeks a year, five days a week, working 9-5 each day in an office.

If you can't identify with that situation, you clearly haven't had a relationship with someone for more than 6 months
I've been familiar with that the last decade or so that my mum has been working. My dad does an equivalent of it though. It's not so much bitching about people as it is complaining about people; it's the male equivalent.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:59 pm

Got my cr running, after she went boom
  • 0


jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:36 am

MrCrowley wrote:Not having a partner is just more likely to guarantee that you die alone. Not that that is a bad thing, or something that everyone wants to avoid, it really depends on who you are.


Pretty much. I acknowledge that what works for me might not be everyone.

Again, no one is guaranteeing that a married person will grow old or die in the comfort of their spouse. No one has ridiculous expectations like that.


I would disagree on that point, in the sense that it follows because people tend to believe that if they don't get married, they will be lonely. This is why past a certain age women tend to get to be a bit desperate for fear of "being left on the shelf".

Sure, you may get divorced but that's not as common as people think and you can lower the probability by carefully selecting your partner.


You can only evaluate your partner from your rational perspective. I'd be very impressed if that matches up to reality after a couple of years.

Just because so many marriages end up in divorces on average doesn't mean that the average criteria for selecting a partner is as rigorous as yours.


True... alas my criteria are so rigorous that they exclude pretty much everyone :D

NZ in 2012: for every 100 existing marriages there is 1 divorce.


I'm guessing you got that from here.

You missed this footnote:

Annual divorce statistics do not give a complete picture of the number of marriages ending in divorce. Analysis of divorce statistics by year of marriage shows that just over one-third of New Zealanders who married in 1986 had divorced before their silver wedding anniversary (25 years). For those married in 1976 and1971, the corresponding figures were 30 and 29 percent, respectively.


I don't like those sort of odds.

Prenup. Sure, not everyone will be happy with that but you're not forced to marry them. Maybe only have a prenup for a pre-determined period after which you feel comfortable in sharing things equally. Hell, you don't even need to get a prenup. Expecting inheritance from a dying relative? Have some property investments on the side? Arrange your finances carefully and set up a trust.


From the "don't marry" blog:

If a man insists on a Pre-Nup, he is selfish and unromantic. However, when is the last time a woman who demanded a Pre-Nup was called “unromantic”? On the contrary, if a woman requests a Pre-Nup, she is being fiscally responsible, sensible and looking out for herself. (Note: If your fiancée refuses to sign a Pre-Nup, she has just shown her hand. Best to leave now.) Why is it that a woman can refuse a Pre-Nup, and it is accepted by society? In reality, the man should be outraged that she is after a legal contract, and not love.

What is astounding is the hypocrisy of the usual reaction towards Pre-Nups. Women can conveniently assert that a man is unromantic if he suggests a Pre-Nup. After all, how can a man pollute true love with the signing of legal paperwork! However, what is a marriage licence? Nothing more than a legal contract entered into between the man, woman and local and state government authorities. A woman does not seem to balk at signing this legal paperwork, which entitles her to at least half the assets a man has accumulated as well as half of everything he earns in the future, and obligates him to support her in perpetuity in the event of a breakup. Why aren’t men allowed to note how unromantic this contract is? The distraction of bridal magazines, place setting selection, floral arrangements, wedding dresses, receptions, wedding showers, and honeymoons have clouded the legal reality of what men are getting themselves into. Marriage is as much an unromantic legal contract as a prenuptial agreement is.


As you mentioned, the arguments are really about marriage versus no marriage but, in some instances, I'm treating them as if they were about relationships versus no relationships as that was my original argument


http://www.justice.govt.nz/courts/famil ... s/property

You don't have to get married for your property to be at risk.

Sure, that might not be representative of men but ... you must see where I'm going with this?


Bah, you linked me to tumblr in action!

(edit: [NSFW] Well that's a cute enough outfit, she looks OH MY GOD WHAT

Not the actual url posted on reddit, I thought I'd spare you the horror. )

:D

I see your point, what I'm saying is not that all women share the feelings expressed in that post, but rather it is a shining example of the convoluted emotions-first-rationale-later way of thinking undeniably typical of the "fairer" sex.

I don't understand how you are able to generalise across the board so easily as it runs counter to logic and rational thought. Even if such generalisations were appropriate, it is reasonable to assume that men would also have their equivalent generalisations in the eyes of women.


I can only speak for my own gender, I have no idea what it means to experience life as a woman, nor am I interested in knowing. Women generalise about men too, as you say, and broadly, they're probably right. I forgot where I saw it argued but you could say than stereotyping is a beneficial evolved trait. Let's say 5 members of your tribe are eaten by bears. It's unfair on the bears to assume that all of them want to devour you, but aren't you more likely to survive if you make this assumption?

In that case, it'd seem best to accept any differences and move past them rather than thinking that the one gender is flawed compared to the norm.


I accept that there are differences. If we left technology up to women we'd still be living in caves, and if we left child rearing to men I doubt humanity would have lasted more than a couple of generations.

My quarrel is with those who demand equality that isn't, who want rights without responsibilities, who want freedom to choose without having to suffer the consequences of their choices. That is the current model for the Western woman in my experience.

My uncle is single and seems to travel the world every year. However, he still spends ~45 weeks a year, five days a week, working 9-5 each day in an office.


Offices are feminine, maybe that's his comfort.

I've been familiar with that the last decade or so that my mum has been working. My dad does an equivalent of it though. It's not so much bitching about people as it is complaining about people; it's the male equivalent.


I would probably evaluate the legitimacy of the indiviual complaints.

Image
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 am

Sheesh :roll:

Anyway, here's me shooting an arrow.
Image
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:36 am

Now show us the target ;) what distance were you shooting over?
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:39 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Now show us the target ;) what distance were you shooting over?


It's in the photo, 90 meters away ;)
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:40 am

inonickname wrote:It's in the photo, 90 meters away ;)


I meant "with the arrow sticking in it" ;)
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:51 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
inonickname wrote:It's in the photo, 90 meters away ;)


I meant "with the arrow sticking in it" ;)


I don't have any photos of the other end, but I can guarantee every arrow found it's way there. I'll be off shooting again tomorrow or friday, I can snap some groups then. (This was just for my girlfriend's photography assignment, she needed a long/short shutter speed photo).

Edit:

Image

Bow setup:
http://imgur.com/a/BE5MG

Some photos. First a 50m group from a few days ago (80cm target, 10 ring is 8cm in diameter. Seems pretty big until you realise that's only 0.09 degrees, and that at 0.9 degrees you've missed the target completely. In other words, if, immediately before you shot the arrow, you flinched, moving your bow by 1cm (less than 1/2"), you would completely miss the target and score a 0. If you move your bow by more than a millimeter you won't score a ten.

With that in context, watch this (50m, 80cm):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2dZdcBOH2o[/youtube]

You only realise how good the top athletes are when you try to make up that "little" difference between what you do and what they can do.
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jakethebeast » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 am

Lately i have been making pipes with my friend Toni, as we have full woodcrafting shop in use its pretty easy hehe. Here's few "prototypes" we have made, and we are planning on selling these in near future. I have been testing these incentively and they seem to work pretty damn good :wink:

Here's the first one we made
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff438/poppamies907/WP_20130728_006_zpsd007a46c.jpg

And this was finished earlier today

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff438/poppamies907/WP_20130731_006_zps9ae79f34.jpg
  • 0

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
User avatar
jakethebeast
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Jakes cave
Country: Finland (fi)
Reputation: 11

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 am

inonickname wrote:Seems pretty big until you realise that's only 0.09 degrees, and that at 0.9 degrees you've missed the target completely.


Impressive, I bet it needed a lot of practice to master.

Nice work Jake, I wonder what the "intensive testing" was like :D
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: jakethebeast » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:25 pm

Hehe JSR, THAT'S the word! These times i realize how bad i really am in english :D

As in few days i travel in order to hit on Lab's sister ill be out of pipemaking for a week. Toni said that hell continue where we left, left him materials for like 13 pipes :wink:
  • 0

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
User avatar
jakethebeast
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Jakes cave
Country: Finland (fi)
Reputation: 11

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Raytheon Excalibre precision guided munition testing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgGT0EhKUoQ[/youtube]

Pin point accurate artillery at 30km... watch this in full screen, F***ING AWESOME!

Enemy troops at 1:15 wrote:Can we has water for tea?"


Image

also:

Image

Yeah, I should stop ranting :)
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:50 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Raytheon Excalibre precision guided munition testing:


YUMA PROVING GROUND, Ariz., Oct. 24, 2012. 15 minutes north of my home.
  • 0

User avatar
velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:38 pm

watch this in full screen

Good suggestion :D
  • 0

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
User avatar
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4969
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Florida
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 11

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'