Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 84 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 80 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Table Saw Invention

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 am

Wow, a neat invention. i doubt I'd ever buy one, as my dad has taught me how to properly use a table saw and I feel quite confident in my abilities, and own smarts to never put my finger anywhere near it...

But stu, seriously. Stop attacking other inventions and raving about your own. Nobody likes it. if you have nothing constructive to say, don't post. just look over it and move on to the next thread or something. Although, given the amount of threads you post callously arguing your inventions, the next one probably is yours..

But back on topic, that is truly incredible. Seeing him put it to the test as well, really spoke to its effectiveness. I am very impressed. the engineering that must've gone into it to figure out the crumple zone and all the electronics is incredible.
  • 0

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
User avatar
JDP12
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:34 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 am

For the benefit of everyone else, I believe the below can be quite accurately substituted for just about any of Boyntonstu's recent posts with little loss of information or clarity.

boyntonstu wrote:Blah blah blah blah blah insult of something someone else has done blah. Blah, blah insult of the someone else. Blah blah, I am an inventing god blah. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a blah blah blah. Blah blah blah bull, blah blah blah, blah blah more bull blah.

Blah blah blah something else I have made which is totally irrelevant, but inherently perfect. Which I have already gone on about fifteen times because of the last time someone dared to criticise my genius blah, blah blah.

Someone wrote:Unnecessarily long quote which should have been cut down. Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb custard.


Blah blah bad comeback blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, you're an idiot. Blah, my invention is perfect, blah.


Stu, I'm sorry, but telling you to cool it politely hasn't worked, so if I have to step up to ridiculing your posts, then so be it.

For the last few days, your behaviour has made it so you're now arguing with a forum that quite clearly thinks you're a blowhard and a total arse. I have seen people who are intentionally trolling who have been less obnoxious.
Your unwillingness to accept criticisms will win you no friends here, and your crude and unnecessarily impolite methods of argument are going to sway no-one.

I don't know why you expect anyone to give you any civil conversation at all when you offer none, and I have no idea what you expect to get out of a discussion forum when you simply reject any opinion which dares to even suggest that the sun might not shine out of your arse with insults and ill thought out rebuttals.

Here, I would like politely implore you to go die in a fire.
But... ah, frak it. You've got the E-Z Reach, so that means you'd have to be one of the only 30% of fatalities in houses with working smoke alarms.

Fine then, may your tablesaw cut off all your fingers, thus leaving you unable to type... oh, arse. That won't work either.

You know what, forget the death and maiming. Just. Shut. The. Hell. Up.
  • 0

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
User avatar
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:23 am
Location: The UK
Reputation: 8

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 am

the start of your post sound like a ke$ha song. :lol:
  • 0

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
User avatar
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:14 am
Location: australia
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: boyntonstu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:58 am

There are some posts that discuss the issues, while others discuss the person.

Wishing someone death or maiming is an indication of the immaturity of the author.

BONG! Oh forget that I just rang a bell.

Ragnarok, I suggest that you find a screwdriver to tighten the loose screws.

Criticizing a person for God forbid; DOUBLE POSTING (WOW!) and completely avoiding the technical issues, appears to be the main function of our esteemed moderator.

BoyntonStu,

Proud blowhard and total arse.

Isn't blowing hard the main goal of a spud gun design?
  • 0

User avatar
boyntonstu
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:59 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:27 am

riticizing a person for God forbid; DOUBLE POSTING (WOW!) and completely avoiding the technical issues, appears to be the main function of our esteemed moderator.

Bloody hell, Stu. Don't like the rules? LEAVE. LEAVE. LEAVE. LEAVE.

If you want to be here, you will not double post. You will do what I say. You will essentially be my b|tch when it comes to posting because I will not tolerate any crap from you and anymore of your double posts. Why? Perhaps because all this power I have from moderating gets me off or I just love annoying trolls, who knows.

As for the technical issues, i'm not sure if anyone here is able to comment on whether it can cut damp wood or not. I haven't bothered to research, have you? No point b|tching about whether it can or not when we don't actually know. Since you're making the claim [that it can't cut damp wood], go back up your claim. Until then, I assume it can but wouldn't be entirely surprised if it can't.


You still have to admit that this thing is pretty cool, even if it served no purpose whatsoever, it's pretty damn cool. Better than anything you've 'invented' :roll:
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: LeMaudit » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 am

About the salty issue, maybe the thingy would work with just a little delay on a real "accident", with a superficial cut of the skin? And even if it work with a more deeper cut, who cares when it saves the finger(s) at the end :-)

Extra precaution is always good, and saves the day when you are a bit tired, and should not have worked close to the power tools anyway :-D I see the thing like a good insurance. Better be safe than sorry.

My personal experience with power tools is to mentally figure that I'm feeding a dangerous animal, like a huge crocodile when I use them :lol: In particular the lathe with hands that can be very close to the mandrel. And I have many power tools, except a table saw! I always felt it was a bit too dangerous for my (limited) needs. Band Saw and Radial Saw are much more forgiven when you make a mistake. But a table saw with that security installed, I think I would reconsider...
  • 0

User avatar
LeMaudit
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:48 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: boyntonstu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:54 am

LeMaudit wrote:About the salty issue, maybe the thingy would work with just a little delay on a real "accident", with a superficial cut of the skin? And even if it work with a more deeper cut, who cares when it saves the finger(s) at the end :-)

Extra precaution is always good, and saves the day when you are a bit tired, and should not have worked close to the power tools anyway :-D I see the thing like a good insurance. Better be safe than sorry.

My personal experience with power tools is to mentally figure that I'm feeding a dangerous animal, like a huge crocodile when I use them :lol: In particular the lathe with hands that can be very close to the mandrel. And I have many power tools, except a table saw! I always felt it was a bit too dangerous for my (limited) needs. Band Saw and Radial Saw are much more forgiven when you make a mistake. But a table saw with that security installed, I think I would reconsider...


Actually a table saw is less dangerous than a conventional Radial Arm saw.

The blade of a radial arm saw is spinning towards you and you draw the blade assembly towards you. This makes for a very dangerous operation.

This is precisely why I modified my RAS.

If two people respond to a post of mine, and I answer each with a separate post, it is against the rules. It seems resonable to answer each question with a separate response.

According to our esteemed rule maker, we must never answer 2 posts with 2 posts.

We must answer 2 posts with a combined single post, or be asked to LEAVE,LEAVE, LEAVE.

Imagine answering 2 emails from 2 different people with a single email.

I guess if you are terribly anal, it makes some sense, but I can't understand the logic of the rule.

Does anyone else?
  • 0

User avatar
boyntonstu
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:59 am
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:20 am

use a
_________________________________

to separate the two people.

hey, i just invented a new posting technique. :D
  • 0

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
User avatar
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:14 am
Location: australia
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:33 am

boyntonstu wrote:There are some posts that discuss the issues, while others discuss the person.

Stu, the person IS the issue! Anybody who criticises your ideas gets an earful, and that's just not on. It's always got to be your way, be it about table saws or double posting, and anyone who disagrees must be an idiot.

I assume you know this at your age, but nobody is perfect, and you're not nobody.
You are not always right, other people can have better ideas than you, and the local news station filling in air time with your inventions does not vindicate you.

If all you're looking for is affirmation of your ideas, this is not the place. This is a forum. It's not here to be full of yes-men and brown-nosers, it's here to discuss ideas.
Accept that, or go elsewhere. If you can't take your audience talking back, keep your self-publicity to when the news cameras are there.

Wishing someone death or maiming is an indication of the immaturity of the author.

Missing that something is clearly not intended to be taken at face value is an indication of quite a few things about the reader too.
  • 0

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
User avatar
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:23 am
Location: The UK
Reputation: 8

Unread postAuthor: velocity3x » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 am

When I see Stu posting about his "Inventions", I always think of this:
  • 0

Attachments
OSHACowboy.jpg
User avatar
velocity3x
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: boyntonstu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:17 am

velocity3x wrote:When I see Stu posting about his "Inventions", I always think of this:



You have me completely wrong.


I build elevators that are not allowable in any code.

My upside down RAS has raised many eyebrows and some consider it dangerous.

I couldn't care a rat's behind about rules and regulations; except of course the all important DOUBLE POSTING.
  • 0

User avatar
boyntonstu
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:59 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Labtecpower » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 am

Wasn't this a topic about a very nice table saw?

maybe continue this in the "request to ban boyntonstu" topic.
  • 0

"ñøw mÿ šįg šüçkś!"
User avatar
Labtecpower
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:38 am
Location: Herb Island
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm

As someone who HAS worked with table saws in a cabinetry shop and has seen friends who are skilled workers get their fingers cut into, I can safely say that this would be an excellent investment. My employer lost close to $15,000 in an accident where a worker cut a single finger tip off and into the next.

Keep in mind, with a cabinetry shop or other fine carpentry, STEWY's claim of "cutting into damp wood" is not valid, as all wood that comes in is rough cut and kiln dried to humidity levels often between 11%-17%. Also in solid surface jobs (Corian, etc.) you're dealing with a non-conductive acrylic polymer.

Seeing STU's posts about this products relevance is silly. This product is 90% intended for indoor use with controlled materials like dried lumber - as obvious by their large assortment of cabinet saws. In these environment's it would absolutely save the employer money, without a doubt! The ROI would only decrease as the amount of employers and sawstop saw's increased on the floor, compared to the average pay on workman's comp as this would surely count towards a deduction in monthly cost's as a safety protocol. Not to mention that having an employee working is making you money and one at home healing isn't.

STU - your argument does hold a drop however with the contractor saw. I do wonder if they have a setting adjustment for conductivity when using pressure treated lumber or other damp wood, however seeing the amount of professional work they have already put into their products I think it would be naive to assume they didn't. Also, having a setting labled "conductivity" would not mean much to a good majority of the contractors out there and the chance of them adjusting it to too high of a setting is very likely, so they probably have some sort of auto-compensation in it, if they have this at all...
  • 0

User avatar
mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:53 am
Reputation: 9

Unread postAuthor: boyntonstu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:37 pm

mobile chernobyl wrote:As someone who HAS worked with table saws in a cabinetry shop and has seen friends who are skilled workers get their fingers cut into, I can safely say that this would be an excellent investment. My employer lost close to $15,000 in an accident where a worker cut a single finger tip off and into the next.

Keep in mind, with a cabinetry shop or other fine carpentry, STEWY's claim of "cutting into damp wood" is not valid, as all wood that comes in is rough cut and kiln dried to humidity levels often between 11%-17%. Also in solid surface jobs (Corian, etc.) you're dealing with a non-conductive acrylic polymer.

Seeing STU's posts about this products relevance is silly. This product is 90% intended for indoor use with controlled materials like dried lumber - as obvious by their large assortment of cabinet saws. In these environment's it would absolutely save the employer money, without a doubt! The ROI would only decrease as the amount of employers and sawstop saw's increased on the floor, compared to the average pay on workman's comp as this would surely count towards a deduction in monthly cost's as a safety protocol. Not to mention that having an employee working is making you money and one at home healing isn't.

STU - your argument does hold a drop however with the contractor saw. I do wonder if they have a setting adjustment for conductivity when using pressure treated lumber or other damp wood, however seeing the amount of professional work they have already put into their products I think it would be naive to assume they didn't. Also, having a setting labled "conductivity" would not mean much to a good majority of the contractors out there and the chance of them adjusting it to too high of a setting is very likely, so they probably have some sort of auto-compensation in it, if they have this at all...


The SawStop is selling like hotcakes in schools, summer camps, and in other multi-user locations. The main reason is liability.

Given a choice between a $2,000 saw and higher insurance, it is foolish not to buy the StopSaw.

However for an individual in control of their saw, I don't believe than it is necessary.

I respect your experience. Please review my Upside down Radial Arm Saw for safety.

Today, I ripped a 4 foot sheet of plywood using the steel table and my modified rip fence and hold down brush.

Again, I stand aside the saw and kickback and throwback is not an issue.

I will post a video.
  • 0

User avatar
boyntonstu
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:59 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:15 pm

The issues of kickback and throwback were discussed earlier in another thread, and there are already very (very) cheap solutions to them, like a featherboard.

I am pretty sure that using a table saw in the rain isn't advisable in the first place. And in any case, since rain is pretty close to distilled water, I'd think the conductivity of wet wood is still a far cry from the salt solution we commonly call sweat. About the inventor dipping his finger in what is presumably a salt solution before hand: Did you notice the little nick on the frank? Showing a small nick out of the inventor's finger wouldn't be very good for business, but it's still a vast improvement over losing the entire finger.

I also say that building elevators that aren't allowable under any code isn't something to brag about.
  • 0

User avatar
saefroch
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 am
Location: U.S.A.- See Map
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'