Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

"Lightning gun" discussion

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: bobjacobson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 pm

i know of a way to make a laminar stream of water. it is used for squirt/water guns, but could probably be modified for your uses. here is a link http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/lam.html . it may not work, because of range of use, but it is a possible idea.

bobjacobson
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Doctore » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:29 pm

hmm :roll:
Just find the right nozzle an use hydrochloric acid instead water.
Hydrochloric acid is an electrolyte so it is a good conductor.

Doctore
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Saefroch wrote:The higher the concentration, the better. I wouldn't worry about using an inactive electrolyte to so much, just avoid halides.
Passing a high-voltage current through HCl will result in the Cl<sup>-</sup> migrating to the anode of an electrolytic cell, where they will be oxidized to Cl<sub>2</sub>. Which is bad.

Hope I'm not patronizing, but in this case I'm a fan of NaOH, since there's no powerful acids that can be formed by reduction or oxidation of the ions.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 pm

sigh... saefroch.. you beat me to it. i have no wish to be inhaling Chlorine gas.. toxic.

I don't really know if this project will see the light of day.. Might be a cool novelty project in the future when I have time and money.. and I'm short on both right now.

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 am

I'm seeing all but two of my classes disappear after AP exams so I'll have free time, but as for money... that'll be devoted to my upcoming hybrid, and possibly a solid-state laser, if I can find a gain medium.

However, I am very interested in the idea of a lightning gun, the only issue I'm having with it so far is the portability of the conductor source.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion