Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Question for automotive people

All non-spudgun related discussion goes here such as projects, theories, serious questions, etc. All "off-topic" posts (aka useless posting, determined by moderators) will be removed.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Mr.Tallahassee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:48 pm

On bicycles, the gears have the teeth. On chainsaws, the gears have slots that the chains teeth rest in. There are two teeth per link on chainsaw chain, the cutting edge tooth, and the gear driven tooth.

Mr.Tallahassee
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: warhead052 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Then replace the gear on the drive shaft for the chain saw with a bike gear? Its not that hard to use your mind...

warhead052
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 pm

warhead052 wrote:Then replace the gear on the drive shaft for the chain saw with a bike gear? Its not that hard to use your mind...

Go ahead, build it...

Some where out there I'm sure a old time go-cart seller has sitting on his shelf a conversion kit for doing exactly that. A clutch conversion for use with roller chain, probably size 8 (go-cart standard is size 8 I think).

Back in the day late 70's on through to the 80's it was fairly standard practice to use big bore chain saw engines on go-carts for racing. Thus the need for the conversion kits. No longer useful with all the aftermarket cart engines being built...

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: warhead052 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 pm

jrrdw wrote:
warhead052 wrote:Then replace the gear on the drive shaft for the chain saw with a bike gear? Its not that hard to use your mind...

Go ahead, build it...

Some where out there I'm sure a old time go-cart seller has sitting on his shelf a conversion kit for doing exactly that. A clutch conversion for use with roller chain, probably size 8 (go-cart standard is size 8 I think).

Back in the day late 70's on through to the 80's it was fairly standard practice to use big bore chain saw engines on go-carts for racing. Thus the need for the conversion kits. No longer useful with all the aftermarket cart engines being built...

I will at some point. I am starting school again soon, so I may be able to work it into some sort of "school project" and get extra credit or something. I just need my grandfather to teach me how to weld so I can put together a frame for a go kart, weld on a new gear, and get to work on a steering mechanism.

warhead052
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Discussion